My youngest son has recently been bought a PC on which he appears to have set
a Logon password for his user account.
He is the only user on the PC and therefore his is the only user account
that has been set up on the PC.
Having not used the PC for 2-3 weeks he now appears to have forgotten what
his Logon password is despite being prompted by the password hint.
As nobody can access the PC because of the Logon password, I would be
grateful if anybody can advise on how to overcome the predicament we now have
as I am unsure how to reset/delete the previous password etc to allow us to
use the PC once again.

Rob.

Lost, Forgotten, or Expired Passwords:

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

Windows XP Key is a program to reset Windows XP security
if Administrator password, secure boot password or key disk is lost.
http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

Forgot your admin password?

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Eos wrote:

> Having not used the PC for 2-3 weeks he now appears to have forgotten what
> his Logon password is despite being prompted by the password hint.
> As nobody can access the PC because of the Logon password, I would be
> grateful if anybody can advise on how to overcome the predicament we now have
> as I am unsure how to reset/delete the previous password etc to allow us to
> use the PC once again.
Hi

You can try to log on with the builtin Administrator user:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expires
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321305

If that doesn't work out, you might try to reset the local
Administrator password with one of the methods mentioned here:

http://securityadmin.info/noframes/faqget.asp#password

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: