No slots on mobo working right.

I could not find an ECS newsgroup for the ECS motherboard that I'm having
problems with. My great-aunt's daughter has a computer with an ECS
motherboard. None of the devices in the PCI slots or the AGP slot work.
They used to. The modem is no longer detected, the network card isn't
detected, and the video card isn't detected. All three show up in the
hardware thing, but all three have problems. The computer will only run at
640x480 @ 16 colors. I just reformatted it and I have the same problem.
Windows would automatically install the same network card in all of the
computer except this one? Have the slots gone bad on this motherboard?
What should I try? Thanks.

*P.S. This computer has an ATI Radeon 7200.
More specifically, the window title says Unhandled Exception.
Error Number: 0x80040707
Setup will now terminate.

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you tried updating the motherboard drivers ?
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers.html

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:09:22 GMT, "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com>
wrote:

>I could not find an ECS newsgroup for the ECS motherboard that I'm having
>problems with. My great-aunt's daughter has a computer with an ECS
>motherboard. None of the devices in the PCI slots or the AGP slot work.
>They used to. The modem is no longer detected, the network card isn't
>detected, and the video card isn't detected. All three show up in the
>hardware thing, but all three have problems. The computer will only run at
>640x480 @ 16 colors. I just reformatted it and I have the same problem.
>Windows would automatically install the same network card in all of the
>computer except this one? Have the slots gone bad on this motherboard?
>What should I try? Thanks.
>
>*P.S. This computer has an ATI Radeon 7200.
>More specifically, the window title says Unhandled Exception.
>Error Number: 0x80040707
>Setup will now terminate.

The updates didn't help. I tried a BIOS update also, but it said that it
had an error verifying the main block.

"Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> I could not find an ECS newsgroup for the ECS motherboard that I'm having
> problems with. My great-aunt's daughter has a computer with an ECS
> motherboard. None of the devices in the PCI slots or the AGP slot work.
> They used to. The modem is no longer detected, the network card isn't
> detected, and the video card isn't detected. All three show up in the
> hardware thing, but all three have problems. The computer will only run
at
> 640x480 @ 16 colors. I just reformatted it and I have the same problem.
> Windows would automatically install the same network card in all of the
> computer except this one? Have the slots gone bad on this motherboard?
> What should I try? Thanks.
>
> *P.S. This computer has an ATI Radeon 7200.
> More specifically, the window title says Unhandled Exception.
> Error Number: 0x80040707
> Setup will now terminate.

Any thunderstorms with nearby lightning strikes recently?????

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Just replace the motherboard. ECS is junk anyway.

DaveL

> The updates didn't help. I tried a BIOS update also, but it said that it
> had an error verifying the main block.
> "Bandit" <bandit@bandit.com> wrote in message
> > Have you tried updating the motherboard drivers ?
> > http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/drivers.html
> >
> > On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:09:22 GMT, "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I could not find an ECS newsgroup for the ECS motherboard that I'm
having
> >>problems with. My great-aunt's daughter has a computer with an ECS
> >>motherboard. None of the devices in the PCI slots or the AGP slot work.
> >>They used to. The modem is no longer detected, the network card isn't
> >>detected, and the video card isn't detected. All three show up in the
> >>hardware thing, but all three have problems. The computer will only run
> >>at
> >>640x480 @ 16 colors. I just reformatted it and I have the same problem.
> >>Windows would automatically install the same network card in all of the
> >>computer except this one? Have the slots gone bad on this motherboard?
> >>What should I try? Thanks.
> >>
> >>*P.S. This computer has an ATI Radeon 7200.
> >>More specifically, the window title says Unhandled Exception.
> >>Error Number: 0x80040707
> >>Setup will now terminate.

Liar! ;-)

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup

"Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> I could not find an ECS newsgroup for the ECS motherboard that I'm having
> problems with.

ECS makes cheap junk. The reason their mobos are so cheap is because of
cheap components. Get an Asus

"SanDiegoFunkDaddy" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
> ECS makes cheap junk. The reason their mobos are so cheap is because of
> cheap components. Get an Asus

Sorry... My ECS systems have been just as reliable and half the cost of my
Asus systems.

They aren't the best out there, but they are made from the same
components...

Noozer wrote:

> "SanDiegoFunkDaddy" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
>> ECS makes cheap junk. The reason their mobos are so cheap is because of
>> cheap components. Get an Asus
>
> Sorry... My ECS systems have been just as reliable and half the cost of my
> Asus systems.
>
> They aren't the best out there, but they are made from the same
> components...

Same chipset. The glue chips and passive components aren't necessarily the
same. Still, I've had little trouble with ECS.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

ECS boards are what Fry's throws in for free just to sell processors. That
right there tells you the story.

ASUS
Abit
MSI
Gigabyte
DFI
Soltek
Albatron

These are all good motherboard makers. MY favorite, EPOX.

Two more to stay clear of, Biostar and Aopen.

DaveL

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message

> "SanDiegoFunkDaddy" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
> > ECS makes cheap junk. The reason their mobos are so cheap is because of
> > cheap components. Get an Asus
>
> Sorry... My ECS systems have been just as reliable and half the cost of my
> Asus systems.
>
> They aren't the best out there, but they are made from the same
> components...

We put in a new board. I pre-chose an MSI board, and that's what we got.
I'm not a big fan of Asus. 3 out of 4 of them had similar problems. (The
models varied too.) The three of them have some kind of problem with the
PS/2 ports that quit responding. Asus is rather easy to use, but they need
to do something about their PS/2 port problem. Luckily, I switched my mouse
and keyboard over to USB to avoid that problem. I've been interested in
trying out an Epox because even by the pictures they looked like pretty good
boards. I've been told to stear clear of Abit boards. Oh well, we got an
MSI, and that's what we'll deal with. (It's a little bit harder to use than
the Asus, as well as updating the BIOS which I had to do because the BIOS
wouldn't detect the Sempron 2400+ properly. It's pretty stable so far, but
if you try to adjust the CPU speed any, it will detect it as an Athlon XP
1500+ instead of a Sempron 2400+. It also refuses to detect it as a Sempron
again until you re-flash the BIOS.) The Sempron is basically an Athlon XP.
I prefer the Athlon XP's though. This Sempron 2400+ is faster than my
Athlon XP 2400+, but that Sempron gets very sluggish with multitasking where
mine doesn't. It's strange that it will be faster in a stand alone
application, but when it comes to multitasking, it's slower. Anyway, the
problems are all gone now.
"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> ECS boards are what Fry's throws in for free just to sell processors.
> That
> right there tells you the story.
>
> ASUS
> Abit
> MSI
> Gigabyte
> DFI
> Soltek
> Albatron
>
> These are all good motherboard makers. MY favorite, EPOX.
>
> Two more to stay clear of, Biostar and Aopen.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
>>
>> "SanDiegoFunkDaddy" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
>> > ECS makes cheap junk. The reason their mobos are so cheap is because of
>> > cheap components. Get an Asus
>>
>> Sorry... My ECS systems have been just as reliable and half the cost of
>> my
>> Asus systems.
>>
>> They aren't the best out there, but they are made from the same
>> components...

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

There's nothing wrong with Abit. I still got an old Abit BX chipset board
which has been running a Tualitin Celly @ 1.4 ghz for a year now. I know
three people who have been running old Abit boards for years with no
problems. Abit might be the best mobo maker of them all. They cost a
premium, as does Asus. Epox gives you all the slick features, reliability
and tweakability for less.

MSI is good too. My old NF1 was an MSI. It still is around here somewhere,
waiting for a new home. It may end up replacing the Abit one day. Nice
board.

DaveL

> We put in a new board. I pre-chose an MSI board, and that's what we got.
> I'm not a big fan of Asus. 3 out of 4 of them had similar problems. (The
> models varied too.) The three of them have some kind of problem with the
> PS/2 ports that quit responding. Asus is rather easy to use, but they
need
> to do something about their PS/2 port problem. Luckily, I switched my
mouse
> and keyboard over to USB to avoid that problem. I've been interested in
> trying out an Epox because even by the pictures they looked like pretty
good
> boards. I've been told to stear clear of Abit boards. Oh well, we got an
> MSI, and that's what we'll deal with. (It's a little bit harder to use
than
> the Asus, as well as updating the BIOS which I had to do because the BIOS
> wouldn't detect the Sempron 2400+ properly. It's pretty stable so far,
but
> if you try to adjust the CPU speed any, it will detect it as an Athlon XP
> 1500+ instead of a Sempron 2400+. It also refuses to detect it as a
Sempron
> again until you re-flash the BIOS.) The Sempron is basically an Athlon
XP.
> I prefer the Athlon XP's though. This Sempron 2400+ is faster than my
> Athlon XP 2400+, but that Sempron gets very sluggish with multitasking
where
> mine doesn't. It's strange that it will be faster in a stand alone
> application, but when it comes to multitasking, it's slower. Anyway, the
> problems are all gone now.
> "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > ECS boards are what Fry's throws in for free just to sell processors.
> > That
> > right there tells you the story.
> >
> > ASUS
> > Abit
> > MSI
> > Gigabyte
> > DFI
> > Soltek
> > Albatron
> >
> > These are all good motherboard makers. MY favorite, EPOX.
> >
> > Two more to stay clear of, Biostar and Aopen.
> >
> > DaveL
> >

> > "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "SanDiegoFunkDaddy" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Sorry... My ECS systems have been just as reliable and half the cost of
> >> my
> >> Asus systems.
> >>
> >> They aren't the best out there, but they are made from the same
> >> components...

My AthlonXP + ECS K7S5A is far more stable than the P3 + Asus P3V4x it
replaced. ECS boards tend to be skimpy on "enthusiast" features. The
components themselves aren't cheap.

"SanDiegoFunkDaddy" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
> ECS makes cheap junk. The reason their mobos are so cheap is because of
> cheap components. Get an Asus

Actually, I'm not a liar for not finding that newsgroup. ;-) I said that I
couldn't find a newsgroup for that mobo, I didn't say there are no
newsgroups for that mobo. Hee hee hee...
> Liar! ;-)
>
> alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup

> "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
>> I could not find an ECS newsgroup for the ECS motherboard that I'm having
>> problems with.

So rather than a liar, you admit being incompetent. :)

Jokes aside, I'm using a ECS K7S5A board myself. The inexpensive board
performs well and is very stable, but has zero overclocking options. I was
able to run a 5000 RPM 80 mm Nidec fan off the onboard fan header without
problems.

> Actually, I'm not a liar for not finding that newsgroup. ;-) I said that
> couldn't find a newsgroup for that mobo, I didn't say there are no
> newsgroups for that mobo. Hee hee hee...
> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Liar! ;-)
> >
> > alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup
> >
> > --
> > "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
> > It can therefore be said that politics is war without
> > bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
> >

> > "Travis King" <Anonymous@none.com> wrote in message
> >> I could not find an ECS newsgroup for the ECS motherboard that I'm
having
> >> problems with.

TRENDING THREADS