Crash at end sequence (spoiler?)

Grrr... Just as the G-man is talking to me at the end sequence my Xp
crashes with a serious error (windows is sjut down to prevent....) in
the video driver (nvdisp-something). Anyone know what is happening
(is there anything nice left to see by this point, anyone :-)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > Grrr... Just as the G-man is talking to me at the end sequence my Xp
    > crashes with a serious error (windows is sjut down to prevent....) in
    > the video driver (nvdisp-something). Anyone know what is happening
    > (is there anything nice left to see by this point, anyone :-)

    Update your driver and find out

    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Ah man!!!! Ya really missed it... Alyx comes in, strips, and does a table dance for ya...

    Iain Dingsdale skrev:

    > Update your driver and find out

    What drivers do I need, and why does my drivers crash now?
    (trouble with 4200 is that the new drivers are worse..)

    They havn't crashed trough the rest of the game (seems like
    it crashed when the screen got b/w and very bright).

    --

    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote in message
    > Ah man!!!! Ya really missed it... Alyx comes in, strips, and does a table
    > dance for ya...

    Now that would be a great mod.
    How about a mod where she wears a dress? There is a bit in one of the bases
    where she goes up a ladder and virtually does the splits - you could do some
    real sight seeing ;-)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Iain Dingsdale skrev:

    > > Grrr... Just as the G-man is talking to me at the end sequence my Xp
    > > crashes with a serious error (windows is sjut down to prevent....) in
    > > the video driver (nvdisp-something). Anyone know what is happening
    > > (is there anything nice left to see by this point, anyone :-)
    >
    > Update your driver and find out

    Anyone with Nvidia 44.03 driver that get this ending to work.

    Or anyone with 45.23 drivers. Drivers above that gives poor
    performance on Ti-4200 so I'd really not like having to change.

    Or anyone knowing what driver I need for this to work that works best
    with the Ti-4200 without to much performace loss (strange, no crashes
    anywere else in the game or in any other HL-series games at all)?

    The error I get (just as the G-man is finished speaking and the screen
    goes b/w and then very bright) is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and the
    drivers causing the crash is NV4_DISP.DLL (yes, that IS the video)

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I finished Half-Life2 with no problems on a Ti4200 running 44.03
    (But it won't run at all on my BFG6600GT OC!)

    You haven't missed anything, the ending is the worst anti-climax I have ever
    seen in any game. When G-man finishes speaking the titles roll...end
    (The silliest ending ever is in Broken Sword 3, The Dragon and George, get
    it?
    Bet you didn't see that coming did you?)

    --
    Regards
    Spencer

    http://mysite.freeserve.com/PoserWarehouse/index.html
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/anaglyphwarehouse/index.html
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cartoonwarehouse/index.html

    > Iain Dingsdale skrev:
    >
    > > > Grrr... Just as the G-man is talking to me at the end sequence my Xp
    > > > crashes with a serious error (windows is sjut down to prevent....) in
    > > > the video driver (nvdisp-something). Anyone know what is happening
    > > > (is there anything nice left to see by this point, anyone :-)
    > >
    > > Update your driver and find out
    >
    > Anyone with Nvidia 44.03 driver that get this ending to work.
    >
    > Or anyone with 45.23 drivers. Drivers above that gives poor
    > performance on Ti-4200 so I'd really not like having to change.
    >
    > Or anyone knowing what driver I need for this to work that works best
    > with the Ti-4200 without to much performace loss (strange, no crashes
    > anywere else in the game or in any other HL-series games at all)?
    >
    > The error I get (just as the G-man is finished speaking and the screen
    > goes b/w and then very bright) is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and the
    > drivers causing the crash is NV4_DISP.DLL (yes, that IS the video)
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Spencer skrev:

    > I finished Half-Life2 with no problems on a Ti4200 running 44.03
    > (But it won't run at all on my BFG6600GT OC!)

    Strange. What can the reason for the crash be then?

    > You haven't missed anything, the ending is the worst anti-climax I have ever
    > seen in any game. When G-man finishes speaking the titles roll...end

    I'm not sure if I get the whole part of his speach. The last thing
    that happends is that while he is speaking colors change to black &
    white, when the screen gets brighter and brighter, alomost white,
    crash... I guess something happends after that, or is the "end
    titles" black text on a completly white background... Or :-)

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    OK, did a bit of testing on my Ti-4200 and here are the results:

    3dMark 2000 3dMark 2001 3dMark 03 Remark
    44.03 12182 11082 1473 1)
    45.23 12056 10472 1456
    61.77 11467 10013 1596 2)
    66.93 11309 9845 1593 3)

    First comment must be that it's strange how newer drivers are slower
    and slower with 3dMark 2000 and 2001, but faster with 2003 ?????????

    What is most important/relevant for games like Quake2, Half-Life,
    Half-Life 2, Need for Speed (alle version)? The 2000/2001 or 2003?

    1) 44.03 stutters like hell on the end sequence in Half-Life 2
    The other drivers all did this very well (45.23 smoothest).
    Maybe the others have less stuttering inside HL2 as well?
    But this driver is still the fastest in 3dMark 2000/2001.

    2) 61.77 rendered the "point sprite" (the horse) in 3dmark 2001
    completly wrong. It got transparent and did NOT look good :-(
    Still (or maybe because of) it the fastest in 3dMark 2003.

    3) 66.93 has a very nice funtion making it possible to set both
    quality settings and brightness/gamma/color for each game.
    No need for PowerStrip anymore (some things work even better,
    like 2xQ AA with HL2, not possible with HL2 or PowerStrip
    settings, but when set inside 66.93 it works very very well).
    But the 66.93 was also very much slower in 3dMark 2001 :-(

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> skrev i en meddelelse
    > OK, did a bit of testing on my Ti-4200 and here are the results:
    >
    > 3dMark 2000 3dMark 2001 3dMark 03 Remark
    > 44.03 12182 11082 1473 1)
    > 45.23 12056 10472 1456
    > 61.77 11467 10013 1596 2)
    > 66.93 11309 9845 1593 3)
    >
    > First comment must be that it's strange how newer drivers are slower
    > and slower with 3dMark 2000 and 2001, but faster with 2003 ?????????

    They probably don´t optimize for 01 anymore as it´s getting old.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Lars-Erik Østerud"
    snip

    > 3) 66.93 has a very nice funtion making it possible to set both
    > quality settings and brightness/gamma/color for each game.
    > No need for PowerStrip anymore (some things work even better,
    > like 2xQ AA with HL2, not possible with HL2 or PowerStrip
    > settings, but when set inside 66.93 it works very very well).
    > But the 66.93 was also very much slower in 3dMark 2001 :-(

    Um, isn't 3DMark2003 DX8 and 3DMark2005 DX9? I think I'd pay more
    attention to the '03 scores. That version would have more relevance to
    todays games.
    McG.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    McGrandpa skrev:

    > Um, isn't 3DMark2003 DX8 and 3DMark2005 DX9? I think I'd pay more
    > attention to the '03 scores. That version would have more relevance to

    Tried 05 too, but that doesn't work on any driver :-(
    Just a message about not beeing able to call some function

    That's a bit bad, that the Nvidia drivers doesn't trap that
    function. If any games use that - well - GeForce4 won't work

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > McGrandpa skrev:
    >
    >> Um, isn't 3DMark2003 DX8 and 3DMark2005 DX9? I think I'd pay more
    >> attention to the '03 scores. That version would have more
    >> relevance to
    >
    > Tried 05 too, but that doesn't work on any driver :-(
    > Just a message about not beeing able to call some function
    >
    > That's a bit bad, that the Nvidia drivers doesn't trap that
    > function. If any games use that - well - GeForce4 won't work

    All of em I have (3DM2001, 2003, 2005) work fully with my Ti4600. Not
    sure which batch of drivers I've used with it and XP in the last three
    years since I got it :) This card and the Radeon 8500 have been the
    best damn vid cards I've ever owned. They just keep on truckin!
    I'll ressurrect the FX5900 with a new cooling kit. I think. The 6800
    looks as solid as the 4600 so far. I've never used a 4200 though.
    Just thought I'd let ya know the 4600 completed all the 3DMark 2001, 3,
    and 5 tests under the nvidia driver sets 61.77, 66.93 and 67.02 with no
    problems. I haven't installed the 67.03 set yet and have the 6800 in
    now anyway.
    Good luck!
    McG.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > I'm not sure if I get the whole part of his speach. The last thing
    > that happends is that while he is speaking colors change to black &
    > white, when the screen gets brighter and brighter, alomost white,
    > crash... I guess something happends after that, or is the "end
    > titles" black text on a completly white background... Or :-)

    I can't tell if you've fixed your problem yet or not, but I had the EXACT
    same problem as you're having, with the screen turning white and my computer
    deciding to reboot itself each and every time at that point,

    I was running some older 4x.xx drivers because I have the same Ti 4200 you
    have, so I upgraded to a 6x.xx version driver. It's slightly slower, but it
    fixed the problem and also fixed some other issues I had in other games. I
    prefer stability to frame rates anyday.

Crash Video Games