8500LE comparable to what 9xxx?

I am totally confused by ATI's model numbers. I have an 8500LE now and like
it very much, am considering upgrading and am wondering how the various 9xxx
cards compare to this one. I realize the 8500LE does not have hardware
support for DirectX 9, but just comparing DirectX 8 performance, what 9xxx
would be closest to this?

Any and all opinions much appreciated.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Nostrobino" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote in message
>I am totally confused by ATI's model numbers. I have an 8500LE now and like
> it very much, am considering upgrading and am wondering how the various
> 9xxx
> cards compare to this one. I realize the 8500LE does not have hardware
> support for DirectX 9, but just comparing DirectX 8 performance, what 9xxx
> would be closest to this?

The Radeon 9100 is the same thing as the 8500LE. Both have R200 core, 4
pipelines, 2 TMU per pipeline. 250Mhz core, 250Mhz memory. Many of the 128Mb
9100's have 200Mhz memory. I used to have a 128Mb 9100, the core would
overclock easily to 275Mhz (full 8500 spec) but the 200Mhz memory would only
do 225 max without artifacting. It's still better than any 9000 or 9200
series, which have somewhat higher core/memory, but have one of the TMU
units stripped out on the 4 pipelines. I sold it for a 128Mb 8500 which
easily did 300/300 with no issues. Until I played Thief3....then it was
upgrade time.

Mike

Splendid

It wouldn't be worth upgrading to anything less than a 9600xt, and I'd
recommend going to a 256bit 9800pro.

Mike

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

> "Nostrobino" <not.here@ultranet.com> wrote in message
> >I am totally confused by ATI's model numbers. I have an 8500LE now and
like
> > it very much, am considering upgrading and am wondering how the various
> > 9xxx
> > cards compare to this one. I realize the 8500LE does not have hardware
> > support for DirectX 9, but just comparing DirectX 8 performance, what
9xxx
> > would be closest to this?
>
> The Radeon 9100 is the same thing as the 8500LE. Both have R200 core, 4
> pipelines, 2 TMU per pipeline. 250Mhz core, 250Mhz memory. Many of the
128Mb
> 9100's have 200Mhz memory. I used to have a 128Mb 9100, the core would
> overclock easily to 275Mhz (full 8500 spec) but the 200Mhz memory would
only
> do 225 max without artifacting. It's still better than any 9000 or 9200
> series, which have somewhat higher core/memory, but have one of the TMU
> units stripped out on the 4 pipelines. I sold it for a 128Mb 8500 which
> easily did 300/300 with no issues. Until I played Thief3....then it was
> upgrade time.

Thanks, Augustus. Just what I wanted to know.

N.

"Mike" <mikepos1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It wouldn't be worth upgrading to anything less than a 9600xt, and I'd
> recommend going to a 256bit 9800pro.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the advice.

N.

"Nostrobino" <not.here@ultranet.com> kirjoitti viestissä

> "Mike" <mikepos1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > It wouldn't be worth upgrading to anything less than a 9600xt, and I'd
> > recommend going to a 256bit 9800pro.
>
> Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the advice.

One more thing to consider: how about your other setup? If your system was
in balance with the 8500LE, then you might not want to spend $$ for a
9800Pro as your game performance would be severely limited by your other
hardware. If you think updating later (say in six months), you'd probably
better hold the vidcard upgrade, unless you find someone selling their
previously owned 9500 or better very cheap. If you get the 9800Pro now, you
possibly won't get (all) the benefits until you upgrade the rest of your HW
but when you do that the 9800Pro will probably be history already... So,
think about it twice considering what I have blabbered here. Hope you got
the idea...

--
gt

"GinTonix" <GinTonix@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Nostrobino" <not.here@ultranet.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> >
> > "Mike" <mikepos1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > It wouldn't be worth upgrading to anything less than a 9600xt, and I'd
> > > recommend going to a 256bit 9800pro.
> >
> > Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the advice.
>
> One more thing to consider: how about your other setup? If your system was
> in balance with the 8500LE, then you might not want to spend $$ for a
> 9800Pro as your game performance would be severely limited by your other
> hardware. If you think updating later (say in six months), you'd probably
> better hold the vidcard upgrade, unless you find someone selling their
> previously owned 9500 or better very cheap. If you get the 9800Pro now,
you
> possibly won't get (all) the benefits until you upgrade the rest of your
HW
> but when you do that the 9800Pro will probably be history already... So,
> think about it twice considering what I have blabbered here. Hope you got
> the idea...

Yes, and that's a good thought. Thanks.

I have too many computers. (Is it just me, or do other people who enjoy
putting the darn things together wind up with too many computers too?) And I
am forever rebuilding, swapping parts around from one machine to another,
according to what I think goes best with what (at the moment). I change my
mind about all this fairly regularly. :)

What I think I am going to do now is move the 8500LE (which is in a machine
that's mostly apart at the moment) into a microATX system with an Athlon XP
1700+, which I think will be a pretty good match CPU-wise. Eh? The card
presently in that system I want to move to another machine anyway. Your
advice sounds good to me, and I'll hold off on the 9500 or better card for a
while, since I'm not running anything that requires DX9 now anyway.

Thanks again.

N.

you can flash your 8500le to a 9100, if you really need to

cheesr uemchen

Nostrobino <not.here@ultranet.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
z_6%c.14773$Y94.10963@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
> I am totally confused by ATI's model numbers. I have an 8500LE now and
like
> it very much, am considering upgrading and am wondering how the various
9xxx
> cards compare to this one. I realize the 8500LE does not have hardware
> support for DirectX 9, but just comparing DirectX 8 performance, what 9xxx
> would be closest to this?
>
> Any and all opinions much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS