Private Folders

Hello,

I have a laptop which recently crashed and i had to reinstall windows Xp
Home with SP1.

How ever when i installed it , it had created a new user called Owner and
lost the other users which i can understand as it had reinstalled it all.

How ever , i have gone to C:\ Documents and Settings\ i have still got the
list of users which was on the computer before all the computer crashed. The
problem i have is that i created the user martin and told windows to make his
documents private, But as the system has created a new login with new users i
am unable to login as martin and access these files.

Even the admin can not access these. I tried to create a new user using the
same username and password how ever still does not work,

Is there anyway i can login using the owner (admin) and gain access to the
folder Martin. I know the password so is there a program where i can request
windows to ask me to enter a password to access the folder as all the files
are in there still. (strange)

Please help

Thank You

Martin crepaz
1 answer Last reply
More about private folders

    Martin;
    Take Ownership, #9 on this link:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Martin Crepaz" <Martin Crepaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a laptop which recently crashed and i had to reinstall windows Xp
    > Home with SP1.
    >
    > How ever when i installed it , it had created a new user called Owner and
    > lost the other users which i can understand as it had reinstalled it all.
    >
    > How ever , i have gone to C:\ Documents and Settings\ i have still got the
    > list of users which was on the computer before all the computer crashed.
    > The
    > problem i have is that i created the user martin and told windows to make
    > his
    > documents private, But as the system has created a new login with new
    > users i
    > am unable to login as martin and access these files.
    >
    > Even the admin can not access these. I tried to create a new user using
    > the
    > same username and password how ever still does not work,
    >
    > Is there anyway i can login using the owner (admin) and gain access to the
    > folder Martin. I know the password so is there a program where i can
    > request
    > windows to ask me to enter a password to access the folder as all the
    > files
    > are in there still. (strange)
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Thank You