Spyware - Buddy.exe

I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable modum, and
use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware program and
deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my computer, go to the
internet, and the next thing I know, the files come back. Then I rerun the
spyware program that I have, delete the adware files and start the the
process all over. I also have Zone Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems like
the files are coming back the minute I open internet explorer.

I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times today. They
are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch folers respectively.

Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?
--
Carl
4 answers Last reply

    Carl wrote:

    > I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable
    > modum, and use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware
    > program and deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my
    > computer, go to the internet, and the next thing I know, the files
    > come back. Then I rerun the spyware program that I have, delete the
    > adware files and start the the process all over. I also have Zone
    > Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems like the files are coming back the
    > minute I open internet explorer.
    >
    > I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times
    > today. They are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch
    > folers respectively.
    >
    > Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?

    Hi, Carl. The files probably are coming back - something else is on the
    system that spawns them. Go through these malware removal steps, doing
    everything with updated tools in Safe Mode.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. Then:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
    can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
    removing spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://aumha.net - forums
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    General:
    http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable modum,
    and
    > use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware program and
    > deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my computer, go to the
    > internet, and the next thing I know, the files come back. Then I rerun the
    > spyware program that I have, delete the adware files and start the the
    > process all over. I also have Zone Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems
    like
    > the files are coming back the minute I open internet explorer.
    >
    > I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times today.
    They
    > are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch folers
    respectively.

    > Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?
    > --
    > Carl

    the first step is to scan with all the available tools and find out what
    they are. from that you should be able to look up how to get rid of them,
    anything else is just a guess.

    Thanks Dave - I guess I will try some other brands of spyware.

    Carl wrote:
    > I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable
    > modum, and use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware
    > program and deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my
    > computer, go to the internet, and the next thing I know, the files
    > come back. Then I rerun the spyware program that I have, delete the
    > adware files and start the the process all over. I also have Zone
    > Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems like the files are coming back
    > the minute I open internet explorer.
    >
    > I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times
    > today. They are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch
    > folers respectively.
    >
    > Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?

    Try downloading the latest versions of Spybot (1.3) and AdAware (SE 1.05).
    Install and update each, but don't run a full scan.
    Reboot into safe mode, and run each in turn.

    Also might want to check out the MS Antispyware Beta.....

    Note that the best group for this type of question is probably
    microsoft.public.security.homeusers.

Internet Explorer Spyware Windows XP