Spyware - Buddy.exe

March 12, 2005 5:41:01 PM

I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable modum, and
use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware program and
deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my computer, go to the
internet, and the next thing I know, the files come back. Then I rerun the
spyware program that I have, delete the adware files and start the the
process all over. I also have Zone Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems like
the files are coming back the minute I open internet explorer.

I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times today. They
are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch folers respectively.

Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?
--
Carl

More about : spyware buddy exe

March 12, 2005 8:55:36 PM

Carl wrote:

> I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable
> modum, and use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware
> program and deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my
> computer, go to the internet, and the next thing I know, the files
> come back. Then I rerun the spyware program that I have, delete the
> adware files and start the the process all over. I also have Zone
> Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems like the files are coming back the
> minute I open internet explorer.
>
> I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times
> today. They are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch
> folers respectively.
>
> Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?

Hi, Carl. The files probably are coming back - something else is on the
system that spawns them. Go through these malware removal steps, doing
everything with updated tools in Safe Mode.

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. Then:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
novices should get help with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Links to help with malware:

Software/Methods:
http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
removing spyware
http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

HijackThis:
http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://aumha.net - forums
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
forum
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

General:
http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable modum,
and
> use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware program and
> deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my computer, go to the
> internet, and the next thing I know, the files come back. Then I rerun the
> spyware program that I have, delete the adware files and start the the
> process all over. I also have Zone Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems
like
> the files are coming back the minute I open internet explorer.
>
> I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times today.
They
> are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch folers
respectively.

> Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?
> --
> Carl

the first step is to scan with all the available tools and find out what
they are. from that you should be able to look up how to get rid of them,
anything else is just a guess.
Related resources
March 13, 2005 2:21:54 AM

Thanks Dave - I guess I will try some other brands of spyware.

"Dave" wrote:

> "Carl" <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable modum,
> and
> > use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware program and
> > deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my computer, go to the
> > internet, and the next thing I know, the files come back. Then I rerun the
> > spyware program that I have, delete the adware files and start the the
> > process all over. I also have Zone Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems
> like
> > the files are coming back the minute I open internet explorer.
> >
> > I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times today.
> They
> > are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch folers
> respectively.
> >
> > Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?
> > --
> > Carl
>
> the first step is to scan with all the available tools and find out what
> they are. from that you should be able to look up how to get rid of them,
> anything else is just a guess.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:11:41 PM

Carl wrote:
> I am on Windows XP, connect to the internet via high speed cable
> modum, and use windows internet explorer. Today I have run my spyware
> program and deleted a number of adware files. Then I restart my
> computer, go to the internet, and the next thing I know, the files
> come back. Then I rerun the spyware program that I have, delete the
> adware files and start the the process all over. I also have Zone
> Alarm Pro firewall. It almost seems like the files are coming back
> the minute I open internet explorer.
>
> I have deleted files called Buddy and Buddy.exe at least 3 times
> today. They are located in the WINDOWS folder and Windows prefetch
> folers respectively.
>
> Any ideas as to how I get rid of these files permanently?

Try downloading the latest versions of Spybot (1.3) and AdAware (SE 1.05).
Install and update each, but don't run a full scan.
Reboot into safe mode, and run each in turn.

Also might want to check out the MS Antispyware Beta.....

Note that the best group for this type of question is probably
microsoft.public.security.homeusers.
!