Task manager reports "System" running at 50% load during I..

March 13, 2005 12:00:14 AM

I'm concerned I've picked up a virus. With no load on the system, one
logged in user, no apps running, the system is very sluggish. Task Manager
reports that the image named "System" running under the Local System userid
is taking over 50% of the CPU. "System Idle Process" is taking the other
50%.

What could be happening here? What is this basic "System" process? The
kernel? What could cause it to spin out of control like this?

A reboot temporarily fixes it.

On a 530HT processor w/XP SP2 installed.

thx,
March 13, 2005 12:00:15 AM

sph wrote:

> I'm concerned I've picked up a virus. With no load on the system, one
> logged in user, no apps running, the system is very sluggish. Task
> Manager reports that the image named "System" running under the Local
> System userid
> is taking over 50% of the CPU. "System Idle Process" is taking the
> other 50%.
>
> What could be happening here? What is this basic "System" process?
> The
> kernel? What could cause it to spin out of control like this?
>
> A reboot temporarily fixes it.
>
> On a 530HT processor w/XP SP2 installed.
>
> thx,

Since you are concerned about a virus, what does a scan with a current
version (not earlier than 2004) antivirus using updated definitions
show? Do the scan in Safe Mode.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User