9600 pro and satellite TV

red

I have windows xp with ati 9600 pro.
It worked fine on cable tv but when I connected it to satelite I found
out the only way it works is to connect it to the cable box, leave the
ati tuner on channel 3, and change channels withthe cable box. I could
live with that, but....

The record symbol in the ATI TV control is whited out and I can't record
at all.

Are there any fixes or work arounds for any of this ? How can I record ?

red

red

red (I)wrote:
> I have windows xp with ati 9600 pro.
> It worked fine on cable tv but when I connected it to satelite I found
> out the only way it works is to connect it to the cable box, leave the
> ati tuner on channel 3, and change channels withthe cable box. I could
> live with that, but....
>
> The record symbol in the ATI TV control is whited out and I can't record
> at all.
>
> Are there any fixes or work arounds for any of this ? How can I record ?
>
> red

The recording problem was just because TV-ON_DEMAND was on.
As for the other problem with not being able to use the computer as a
cable box on satellite TV, I don't think there is a solution.

red

red wrote:

> red (I)wrote:
>> I have windows xp with ati 9600 pro.
>> It worked fine on cable tv but when I connected it to satelite I found
>> out the only way it works is to connect it to the cable box, leave the
>> ati tuner on channel 3, and change channels withthe cable box. I could
>> live with that, but....
>>
>> The record symbol in the ATI TV control is whited out and I can't record
>> at all.
>>
>> Are there any fixes or work arounds for any of this ? How can I record ?
>>
>> red
>
> The recording problem was just because TV-ON_DEMAND was on.
> As for the other problem with not being able to use the computer as a
> cable box on satellite TV, I don't think there is a solution.

There is but it's not simple. You have to use the computer to control an
infrared emitter that controls the cable box, or else set the computer up
with an infrared receiver and software that allows it to be controlled
through that receiver and then use a programmable remote to tune both.

The Home Theater PC forum at <http://www.avsforums.com> has fairly extensive
discussion of this.

It would be nice if ATI included the pieces to do this using their remote.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)