Keep losing broadband connection

I randomly keep losing my net connection and this coincides with receiving a
Failure Audit in the Security tab in Event Viewer. The error code is 615 &
description is

"IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network
interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the
machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as
desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to
further diagnose the problem.

The problem started a week ago and I have since done a clean reinstall of XP
but the problem remains. Prior to this I have kept my net connection on 24
hrs for 2 years with no problems. I am using Nortons 2005 Firewall.

My ISP say not a line fault so any help would be appreciated as it is
driving me mad.

Pete
4 answers Last reply
More about keep losing broadband connection

    Hi Pete,
    I bet the reason you're having trouble staying connected is because you
    installed Service Pack 2, I had to uninstall Service Pack 2 because I was
    having the same trouble. I did go to a microsoft website and did talk to a
    tech and he gave me a list of instructions to remedy the problem. I decided
    not to do that but you might want to. Maybe you want to keep Service Pack 2
    and talk to a tech person at Microsoft. Good luck dude.
    Melvin- Colorado Springs, Co
    speedster66@hotmail.com

    "Pete H" wrote:

    > I randomly keep losing my net connection and this coincides with receiving a
    > Failure Audit in the Security tab in Event Viewer. The error code is 615 &
    > description is
    >
    > "IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network
    > interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the
    > machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as
    > desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to
    > further diagnose the problem.
    >
    > The problem started a week ago and I have since done a clean reinstall of XP
    > but the problem remains. Prior to this I have kept my net connection on 24
    > hrs for 2 years with no problems. I am using Nortons 2005 Firewall.
    >
    > My ISP say not a line fault so any help would be appreciated as it is
    > driving me mad.
    >
    > Pete

    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. One question if I may though, wouldnt everybody have
    the same problem if it was just down to SP2 ? I actually installed SP2 when
    it was first released and had no problems so still searching for a solution.
    I am back investigating with the ISP who in typical manner a being as
    unhelpful as ever !!

    "Melvin" wrote:

    > Hi Pete,
    > I bet the reason you're having trouble staying connected is because you
    > installed Service Pack 2, I had to uninstall Service Pack 2 because I was
    > having the same trouble. I did go to a microsoft website and did talk to a
    > tech and he gave me a list of instructions to remedy the problem. I decided
    > not to do that but you might want to. Maybe you want to keep Service Pack 2
    > and talk to a tech person at Microsoft. Good luck dude.
    > Melvin- Colorado Springs, Co
    > speedster66@hotmail.com
    >

    > "Pete H" wrote:
    >
    > > I randomly keep losing my net connection and this coincides with receiving a
    > > Failure Audit in the Security tab in Event Viewer. The error code is 615 &
    > > description is
    > >
    > > "IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network
    > > interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the
    > > machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as
    > > desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to
    > > further diagnose the problem.
    > >
    > > The problem started a week ago and I have since done a clean reinstall of XP
    > > but the problem remains. Prior to this I have kept my net connection on 24
    > > hrs for 2 years with no problems. I am using Nortons 2005 Firewall.
    > >
    > > My ISP say not a line fault so any help would be appreciated as it is
    > > driving me mad.
    > >
    > > Pete

    pete I'm wondering what you have for a internet connection; ie: dsl?
    cable? is there a router in between? If you are using ethernet are you
    set up with dynamic addressing? What services are running on your
    machine? Is this XP pro? If you can, run 'hijack this'
    (http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip) and post the log so we can
    see whats going on in the background.

    --
    gtdriver94
    gtdriver94's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11263

    Thanks for your response. The problem was down to my DSL filter not being set
    up correctly (yes I am embarrassed). My IP upgraded my line to 2 MB and this
    caused the drop out of service due to other noise on the line that my 1 MB
    line could handle.

    Cheers
    Pete

    "gtdriver94" wrote:

    > pete I'm wondering what you have for a internet connection; ie: dsl?
    > cable? is there a router in between? If you are using ethernet are you
    > set up with dynamic addressing? What services are running on your
    > machine? Is this XP pro? If you can, run 'hijack this'
    > (http://www.merijn.org/files/hijackthis.zip) and post the log so we can
    > see whats going on in the background.
    >

    > --
    > gtdriver94