workgroup security

Hello all,

Well, i've got a few xp pro machines and now i'm workgrouping them up. So
i've got a couple users on each of them, and they each have they're own my
documents folders etc. So when i run the network setup wizard, i configure it
so everything is working right, etc. Now when they're all on, i go to the
network places area and each computer is there, so i click on one and it just
lets me in, no password or anything. So i'm thinking to myself, that doesn't
seem very secure. Keep in mind the user names on each computer are entireley
different. So i set a guest password onto each computer, and now it asks for
a password, but it greys out the username area, but i need to log into
different computers with different usernames (for security of users and stuff
that i need to set). So i turn off simple file sharing on them all, then set
the permissions for each shared folder, etc that i'm using for each user.
Then i went to the my network places and i can see all the computers, and
when i double click on one i should get a logon screen with a username and
password right? Wrong, actually, windows gives me some lecture about how this
user doesn't have permission to logon and that i should contact my system
administrator. Well being my system administrator and not having even typed
in a user, i'm trying to figure out how this user didn't get permission. all
i want is just a dumb logon screen. But it doesn't stop there, so i go to map
network drive, and type a computer path and a shared folder in the path box
and then i clicked log on with a different user name. So i typed a user and
password with the permissions to that folder, clicked next and well what do
you know, it pops that folder open. So now i'm thinking, that's really
annoying, i just need a dumb logon screen but everything else works. I can't
be expected to create a network drive for every single shared folder i have
on my workgroup. So if anyone out there has expieranced this and has found a
fun-filled solution, i would really appreciate it if they would post an
answer on how to get the logon screen to work.
Thanks a bunch!!
1 answer Last reply
More about workgroup security

    "garretto" <garretto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Well, i've got a few xp pro machines and now i'm workgrouping them up. So
    > i've got a couple users on each of them, and they each have they're own my
    > documents folders etc. So when i run the network setup wizard, i configure
    it
    > so everything is working right, etc. Now when they're all on, i go to the
    > network places area and each computer is there, so i click on one and it
    just
    > lets me in, no password or anything. So i'm thinking to myself, that
    doesn't
    > seem very secure. Keep in mind the user names on each computer are
    entireley
    > different. So i set a guest password onto each computer, and now it asks
    for
    > a password, but it greys out the username area, but i need to log into
    > different computers with different usernames (for security of users and
    stuff
    > that i need to set). So i turn off simple file sharing on them all, then
    set
    > the permissions for each shared folder, etc that i'm using for each user.
    > Then i went to the my network places and i can see all the computers, and
    > when i double click on one i should get a logon screen with a username and
    > password right? Wrong, actually, windows gives me some lecture about how
    this
    > user doesn't have permission to logon and that i should contact my system
    > administrator. Well being my system administrator and not having even
    typed
    > in a user, i'm trying to figure out how this user didn't get permission.
    all
    > i want is just a dumb logon screen. But it doesn't stop there, so i go to
    map
    > network drive, and type a computer path and a shared folder in the path
    box
    > and then i clicked log on with a different user name. So i typed a user
    and
    > password with the permissions to that folder, clicked next and well what
    do
    > you know, it pops that folder open. So now i'm thinking, that's really
    > annoying, i just need a dumb logon screen but everything else works. I
    can't
    > be expected to create a network drive for every single shared folder i
    have
    > on my workgroup. So if anyone out there has expieranced this and has found
    > fun-filled solution, i would really appreciate it if they would post an
    > answer on how to get the logon screen to work.
    > Thanks a bunch!!

    well, make up your mind. first you want security, then you want access to
    lots of shared folders, you want control of logins, but you don't want to
    have to login. you have to remember that in a workgroup each computer is
    responsible for its own security, there is no shared list of users, there is
    no 'trust' between machines, there is no way to coordinate passwords between
    machines... all those things are what a domain is for. then next thing you
    will discover is the 10 connection limit and want to get around that. if
    you really want to make a reasonably coordinated network with central
    administration and easily coordinated shared resources, learn how to set up
    a domain and do it properly.

Security Windows XP