WPA configuration - can Barb Bowen help?

Hello. I have a D-Link DI-524 wireless G router and a TrendNET TEW-423PI wireless PCI card. One of the reasons I bought both of these is for WPA. I found the WPA configuration area in the router, and I would prefer to use the MS WZC for the card, but even after installing the 815485 patch, I still don't get the WPA selection in the encryption area of the advanced section. Only 'Open' and 'Shared' are there. I thought I had downloaded the newest drivers for the card, but now I am second guessing that. I can get the card and router to talk in WEP128 but I want WPA.

Any suggestions?
8 answers Last reply
More about configuration barb bowen help

    I should also mention that I have updated the firmware in both devices, and like I said, I downloaded a new driver for the PCI card, but I still can't get it.

    It's Bowman, but - have you applied SP1? Also,
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942 ?

    the latest drivers appear to be posted at
    http://www.trendnet.com/asp/download/fileinfo.asp?file_id=310&B1=Search

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    I apologize Barb Bowman,

    Yes, I have applied XP SP1 and am using the latest driver and utility you listed. Any other suggestions?

    do you have the 1.03 firmware for the 524 which fixes WPA-PSK issues
    according to the Dlink support site?

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:51:02 -0700, "HeavyLee"

    >I apologize Barb Bowman,
    >
    >Yes, I have applied XP SP1 and am using the latest driver and
    utility you listed. Any other suggestions?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    MS-MVP (Windows)

    Barb,

    Thank you for your continued efforts with my issue. Yes, the router has the 1.03 firmware. I do have the WPA-PSK option in the router, its just in the Windows WZC that doesn't have it.

    What did the Trendnet support folks say? can you retry the process
    they post:

    Update Procedure:

    Remove Wireless Card driver from Device Manager
    Remove Wireless Utility from Add/Remove program
    Restart the PC
    Install Updated Utility
    Install Updated Driver
    Configure the wireless configuration to match your network

    I am also wondering if the trendnet does not natively support WPA-PSK
    and if you need a 3rd party supplicant. Can you find out?

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:21:03 -0700, "HeavyLee"

    >Barb,
    >
    >Thank you for your continued efforts with my issue. Yes, the router
    has the 1.03 firmware. I do have the WPA-PSK option in the router,
    its just in the Windows WZC that doesn't have it.

    >Hello. I have a D-Link DI-524 wireless G router and a TrendNET
    TEW-423PI wireless PCI card. One of the reasons I bought both of
    these is for WPA. I found the WPA configuration area in the router,
    and I would prefer to use the MS WZC for the card, but even after
    installing the 815485 patch, I still don't get the WPA selection in
    the encryption area of the advanced section. Only 'Open' and 'Shared'
    are there. I thought I had downloaded the newest drivers for the
    card, but now I am second guessing that. I can get the card and
    router to talk in WEP128 but I want WPA.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    MS-MVP (Windows)
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Well, even though their product description says it supports WPA, TrendNET's knowledge base has an article in which another user asks about it. Their reponse says that the 423PI does NOT support WPA, but they were working on an updated driver to fix that. They said it'd be release in a week or two ......... but that was April 13!

    I am upset by this, they advertised that it works with WPA, but thats pretty much a lie. So my question has transformed in to this: Is my wireless internet surfing safe? I have MAC filtering enabled on my router, so nobody will be able to abuse my internet connection. I use alot of online billpay and banking websites, and of course they are all secure sites. I have the router and the 423PI using 128bit encryption right now, but is that enough security until TrendNET releases an updated WPA-compatible driver?

    Thanks Barb.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Don't feel bad... the same is true for the D-Link DWL-G510 NICs. I too have
    a DI-524 with 1.03 firmware and have loaded the MS patches. In my case, WPA
    causes a Blue Screen of Death. The sales page says teh DWL-G510 supports
    WPA but the DWL-G510 is curiously absent from the page that lists the
    components that support WPA.

    "HeavyLee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Well, even though their product description says it supports WPA,
    TrendNET's knowledge base has an article in which another user asks about
    it. Their reponse says that the 423PI does NOT support WPA, but they were
    working on an updated driver to fix that. They said it'd be release in a
    week or two ......... but that was April 13!

    > I am upset by this, they advertised that it works with WPA, but thats
    pretty much a lie. So my question has transformed in to this: Is my
    wireless internet surfing safe? I have MAC filtering enabled on my router,
    so nobody will be able to abuse my internet connection. I use alot of
    online billpay and banking websites, and of course they are all secure
    sites. I have the router and the 423PI using 128bit encryption right now,
    but is that enough security until TrendNET releases an updated
    WPA-compatible driver?

    > Thanks Barb.

Wireless Routers Configuration Wireless Networking