WPA configuration - can Barb Bowen help?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 26, 2004 11:51:11 AM

Hello. I have a D-Link DI-524 wireless G router and a TrendNET TEW-423PI wireless PCI card. One of the reasons I bought both of these is for WPA. I found the WPA configuration area in the router, and I would prefer to use the MS WZC for the card, but even after installing the 815485 patch, I still don't get the WPA selection in the encryption area of the advanced section. Only 'Open' and 'Shared' are there. I thought I had downloaded the newest drivers for the card, but now I am second guessing that. I can get the card and router to talk in WEP128 but I want WPA.

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 26, 2004 12:11:03 PM

I should also mention that I have updated the firmware in both devices, and like I said, I downloaded a new driver for the PCI card, but I still can't get it.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 26, 2004 9:44:02 PM

It's Bowman, but - have you applied SP1? Also,
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942 ?

the latest drivers appear to be posted at
http://www.trendnet.com/asp/download/fileinfo.asp?file_...

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I apologize Barb Bowman,

Yes, I have applied XP SP1 and am using the latest driver and utility you listed. Any other suggestions?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 27, 2004 9:30:08 AM

do you have the 1.03 firmware for the 524 which fixes WPA-PSK issues
according to the Dlink support site?

On Wed, 26 May 2004 15:51:02 -0700, "HeavyLee"

>I apologize Barb Bowman,
>
>Yes, I have applied XP SP1 and am using the latest driver and
utility you listed. Any other suggestions?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
MS-MVP (Windows)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 27, 2004 8:21:03 PM

Barb,

Thank you for your continued efforts with my issue. Yes, the router has the 1.03 firmware. I do have the WPA-PSK option in the router, its just in the Windows WZC that doesn't have it.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 9:51:00 AM

What did the Trendnet support folks say? can you retry the process
they post:

Update Procedure:

Remove Wireless Card driver from Device Manager
Remove Wireless Utility from Add/Remove program
Restart the PC
Install Updated Utility
Install Updated Driver
Configure the wireless configuration to match your network

I am also wondering if the trendnet does not natively support WPA-PSK
and if you need a 3rd party supplicant. Can you find out?

On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:21:03 -0700, "HeavyLee"

>Barb,
>
>Thank you for your continued efforts with my issue. Yes, the router
has the 1.03 firmware. I do have the WPA-PSK option in the router,
its just in the Windows WZC that doesn't have it.

>Hello. I have a D-Link DI-524 wireless G router and a TrendNET
TEW-423PI wireless PCI card. One of the reasons I bought both of
these is for WPA. I found the WPA configuration area in the router,
and I would prefer to use the MS WZC for the card, but even after
installing the 815485 patch, I still don't get the WPA selection in
the encryption area of the advanced section. Only 'Open' and 'Shared'
are there. I thought I had downloaded the newest drivers for the
card, but now I am second guessing that. I can get the card and
router to talk in WEP128 but I want WPA.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
MS-MVP (Windows)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 2, 2004 9:51:16 AM

Well, even though their product description says it supports WPA, TrendNET's knowledge base has an article in which another user asks about it. Their reponse says that the 423PI does NOT support WPA, but they were working on an updated driver to fix that. They said it'd be release in a week or two ......... but that was April 13!

I am upset by this, they advertised that it works with WPA, but thats pretty much a lie. So my question has transformed in to this: Is my wireless internet surfing safe? I have MAC filtering enabled on my router, so nobody will be able to abuse my internet connection. I use alot of online billpay and banking websites, and of course they are all secure sites. I have the router and the 423PI using 128bit encryption right now, but is that enough security until TrendNET releases an updated WPA-compatible driver?

Thanks Barb.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 4, 2004 10:21:06 PM

Don't feel bad... the same is true for the D-Link DWL-G510 NICs. I too have
a DI-524 with 1.03 firmware and have loaded the MS patches. In my case, WPA
causes a Blue Screen of Death. The sales page says teh DWL-G510 supports
WPA but the DWL-G510 is curiously absent from the page that lists the
components that support WPA.

!