Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CAT Control Centre desirable?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 1:30:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8 that
is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 3:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za wrote:

> It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8
> that is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?

It's completely unnecessary. And it won't rock your wold, unless you
absolutely love fancy interfaces (because that's the only thing that the
Control Center is, a fancy interface). It just slurps up a lot more memory
than your normal control panel so why use it?

Personally, I find the Control Center unusable -- to me it seems "messy". I
prefer the standard interface from the standard control panel.

=- Brian Dickens
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:12:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> je
napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:

> It's completely unnecessary. And it won't rock your wold, unless you
> absolutely love fancy interfaces (because that's the only thing that the
> Control Center is, a fancy interface). It just slurps up a lot more memory
> than your normal control panel so why use it?
>
>

Is it take more memory when control panel is active or take memory
whatsoewer
Related resources
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:48:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

<doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
news:chrl6n$fs8$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za...
> It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8 that
> is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?

Catalyst Control Center is a little bit hard on the eye, very slow, takes up
much memory, I haven't found a way to adjust OpenGL and Direct3D
Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering Settings seperately and there don't
seem to be any new features besides the memory clock being shown and the
advanced smartgart option that are accessible seperately when using the
standard control panel. Also, it sometimes stops responding when quickly
switching through the advanced tabs and the 3D animation in the various
settings tabs doesn't have a smooth transition when it loops, which I find
quite annoying.
Needless to say, I like the standard Control Panel better.
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 6:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Romano Cule wrote:

> Is it take more memory when control panel is active or take memory
> whatsoewer

Yes, it takes up more memory... and for what? Just a fancy interface.

=- Brian Dickens
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 6:38:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

remove-this-part wrote:

> Romano Cule wrote:
>
>> Is it take more memory when control panel is active or take memory
>> whatsoewer
>
> Yes, it takes up more memory... and for what? Just a fancy interface.

ATI's user interface seems to be getting more and more baroque and less and
less useful. I set up a Matrox board for a new monitor the other
day--there was a setting to display nice grid with circles at each
resolution and arrows for adjusting the overscan and centering--took about
5 minutes to set for four different resolutions. If ATI had something like
that then all the complaints about overscan on HD would be a thing of the
past. The thing that makes me mad is that ATI DID have that and they took
it out.

But that's the trend in the industry--using an artificial stupidity to
configure things that can be configured much better manually, and then NOT
PROVIDING A MANUAL OVERRIDE.

And what in the name of God (geez--did I say that--I thought I was an
atheist--maybe the computer industry is giving me a need to believe that
there is a Hell to which such people as the designers of the
ATI control panel are condemned, forced to try to configure video boards
using their own software for all eternity) possessed them to use the dot
net framework in a frigging control panel for a video board? What's next,
web-enabling it so the kid down the street can mess with your video
settings for you?

> =- Brian Dickens

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:44:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

<doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
news:chrl6n$fs8$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za...
> It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8 that
> is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?

I hate it. It's the interface is slow at times. On a 3.06Ghz proc with 1 gig
of ram and a 9700 pro I find that completely unacceptable to lag in 2D. I
also can't think of a reason why they would use the .NET framework to
develop this... thing.

On top of that, the new control center won't let me set my refresh rate the
way I want it without using some tweaking software or playing with settings.
Ok I seriously want to know who doesn't mind a 60Hz refresh on a CRT
monitor.

The only good thing I can think of is the promised "radiance" setting (the
equivalent to nvidia's "digital vibrance"). It's not here yet, however.

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."
September 11, 2004 9:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Even ATI said future release will only make this software better so less
buggy and more features...But I agree what all of you said LOL..


"Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:Vgi0d.266459$vG5.73211@news.chello.at...
> <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
> news:chrl6n$fs8$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za...
>> It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8
>> that
>> is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?
>
> Catalyst Control Center is a little bit hard on the eye, very slow, takes
> up much memory, I haven't found a way to adjust OpenGL and Direct3D
> Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering Settings seperately and there
> don't seem to be any new features besides the memory clock being shown and
> the advanced smartgart option that are accessible seperately when using
> the standard control panel. Also, it sometimes stops responding when
> quickly switching through the advanced tabs and the 3D animation in the
> various settings tabs doesn't have a smooth transition when it loops,
> which I find quite annoying.
> Needless to say, I like the standard Control Panel better.
>
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:30:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Chingy wrote:

> Even ATI said future release will only make this software better

For certain values of "better". Why do I have this sinking feeling that
ATI's version of "better" bears little relation to real-world utility?

> so less
> buggy and more features...

Geez, they haven't added any _useful_ features to the control panel since
Windows 3.1. In fact they've gone a few steps backward.

> But I agree what all of you said LOL..
>
>
> "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:Vgi0d.266459$vG5.73211@news.chello.at...
>> <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
>> news:chrl6n$fs8$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za...
>>> It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8
>>> that
>>> is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?
>>
>> Catalyst Control Center is a little bit hard on the eye, very slow, takes
>> up much memory, I haven't found a way to adjust OpenGL and Direct3D
>> Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering Settings seperately and there
>> don't seem to be any new features besides the memory clock being shown
>> and the advanced smartgart option that are accessible seperately when
>> using the standard control panel. Also, it sometimes stops responding
>> when quickly switching through the advanced tabs and the 3D animation in
>> the various settings tabs doesn't have a smooth transition when it loops,
>> which I find quite annoying.
>> Needless to say, I like the standard Control Panel better.
>>

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 1:49:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a miss..... :) 
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 9:06:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

NoRemorse wrote:
> <doug.drodskie@eskom.co.za> wrote in message
> news:chrl6n$fs8$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za...
perfect exemple of a concept ("Make better drivers") completly gone out
of hand (Bloatware)


60 Mo of download for a driver ?? come on...

>
>>It seems the Control Centre is not essential, but is it something gr8 that
>>is going to rock my world or just a 'so what' piece of software?
>
>
> I hate it. It's the interface is slow at times. On a 3.06Ghz proc with 1 gig
> of ram and a 9700 pro I find that completely unacceptable to lag in 2D. I
> also can't think of a reason why they would use the .NET framework to
> develop this... thing.
>
> On top of that, the new control center won't let me set my refresh rate the
> way I want it without using some tweaking software or playing with settings.
> Ok I seriously want to know who doesn't mind a 60Hz refresh on a CRT
> monitor.
>
> The only good thing I can think of is the promised "radiance" setting (the
> equivalent to nvidia's "digital vibrance"). It's not here yet, however.
>
!