User accounts scenario - please help

Tags:
  • User Accounts
  • Windows XP
March 14, 2005 9:55:02 AM

Ok. Here is my situation. I have a computer that is running XP Pro, not
connected to a domain. On the welcome screen, there will be the
Administrator login, and a user called Operator. The users who will be using
this will click on Operator.

However, I want the operator to have access to pretty much nothing. When
the operator logs in, I want to to automatically run a program, and that's
it. No desktop, no access to the C: drive, or other drives. Just login and
run the program.

How would I accomplish this? If anyone could help me, I would appreciate
it. Thanks.

More about : user accounts scenario

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:16:10 PM

Matt wrote:

> Ok. Here is my situation. I have a computer that is running XP Pro,
> not connected to a domain. On the welcome screen, there will be the
> Administrator login, and a user called Operator. The users who will
> be using this will click on Operator.
>
> However, I want the operator to have access to pretty much nothing.
> When the operator logs in, I want to to automatically run a program,
> and that's it. No desktop, no access to the C: drive, or other drives.
> Just login and run the program.
>
> How would I accomplish this? If anyone could help me, I would
> appreciate it. Thanks.
Hi

E.g. configure the computer to use your app as the shell instead of
explorer.exe. You can do this change with a registry edit (note that
this will be a global change affecting all users on the computer).

If you don't want to do this, you can make the Start button pretty
"empty" and and hide all drives using Group Policy settings (can be
applied to a WinXP Pro non-domain computer as well using gpedit.msc).

More about this two different methods in this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=0ec501c50a08%...

More about hiding/disabling access to drives here:
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=%23XJf7yXDFHA.35...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: