Laptop wifi connected but no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopra

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Hello,
i have an acer laptop aspire 5738z. the problem is i'm not able to access a web page but my computer is connected to my router and it says internet access all the application who need internet are not working (internet explorer,real player,google chrome, my anti-virus,etc) pleas help me

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
It shows connection but will not connect? Disconnect from the network, then reconnect. If that does not work, look below.

Try this. Open command prompt, and use a ping command, example, type "ping yahoo.com" without the quotes, hit enter. If it shows that the connection is good, try going to control panel, internet options, then the connections tab at the top. After that click on the "LAN settings" button. What you want to find is if your connection is set to use a proxy server. If it is, uncheck that option. Then try to connect. If it works, then you need to do virus/spyware removal.

Many times what I've seen happen is that a computer gets compromised by viruses, then they set up a proxy server on your system, a proxy server in real world applications, is designed to make you safer online and harder to track. But what I've seen viruses do is set up a proxy server that is what we would call a local loopback. In other words, instead of looking online for a server, your computer looks back to itself as a server, which it's not, hence the reason you lose connection, but your connection might show as active.

Anyway, after you disable that setting, go to download.com, search for malware bytes antimalware, and another program called spybot search and destroy. Download and update both of these, run their scans, then remove anything they find.

If you have no antivirus, download avast free antivirus from the same site. Install, update, register it, and then a full scan, remove anything it is able to find. If your system still runs correctly, it's probably fairly clean at this point.

Go back into control panel, then into System, and I think it's in Advanced Settings. Basically what you do, and do this ONLY if your system still runs fine after all the scans, find the option for system restore, turn system restore off, which deletes all of your old system restore points. The reason for this is that many times viruses will hide in your restore points, and can restore themselves later. So you delete all the restore points by turning system restore off. Then you turn system restore back on. Create a new restore point now that the system should be clean.

I would definitely recommend defragmenting the hard drive, and then running a program called ccleaner to clean out temporary files and to clean the registry out after doing all of these things. The other thing, definitely be sure you install all the updates for windows. Keep making the computer check for install updates until it can find no more, this will help you to not get in trouble again.

Bradsdad89

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

When I ping yahoo.com it dosent work

Status
Not open for further replies.