ok, probably a dumb question

reg

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

What does the AGP speed (e.g. 2x, 4x, or 8x) actually mean? I use a
Radeon9800 Pro that can run at up to 8x, but my mobo can only handle up to
4x and that's what I normally have it set at. Just recently though I
changed the setting, via the smartgarp option in the ATI display settings to
Off. After I did this and rebooted I've found no noticeable difference in
any game I've played, which I really don't understand, unless the games
themselves can override the setting in the ATI display settings?

Lou

"Reg" <reg@nospam.com> wrote in message news:2qft54FtrtkgU1@uni-berlin.de...
> What does the AGP speed (e.g. 2x, 4x, or 8x) actually mean? I use a
> Radeon9800 Pro that can run at up to 8x, but my mobo can only handle up to
> 4x and that's what I normally have it set at. Just recently though I
> changed the setting, via the smartgarp option in the ATI display settings
> to Off. After I did this and rebooted I've found no noticeable difference
> in any game I've played, which I really don't understand, unless the games
> themselves can override the setting in the ATI display settings?

If your mother board does not support 8X AGP and only supports 4X then the
card will run at 4X. You really wouldnt notice any performance difference
between 4x and 8X AGP. Its seems to more of an advertizing gimmick.

TRENDING THREADS