Disable AD HOC wireless

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry edit?

Yes.

Go to Group Policy Object Editor and edit the policy. Then go down to the
Network Access drop down menu. From the drop down menu select "Access point
(infrastructure) network only." That will handle wireless clients in that
OU.

--
Joshua
[MSFT]

"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless
NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry
edit?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I can't seem to find this setting anywhere in the Group Policy Management Console. Is there an extra template that I need to load?

Thanks in advance...
Brian

----- Joshua Teague [MSFT] wrote: -----

Yes.

Go to Group Policy Object Editor and edit the policy. Then go down to the
Network Access drop down menu. From the drop down menu select "Access point
(infrastructure) network only." That will handle wireless clients in that
OU.

--
Joshua
[MSFT]

"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless
NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry
edit?

What is your configuration? Specifically what server are you using? If you
don't have at least one Server 2003 DC then you can not manage Wireless
Group Policy.

from
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/default.asp
on the left expand Technologies Collections --> Group Policy Collection -->
Group Policy Components --> Wireless Network Policies Extension Technical
Reference

"The Wireless Network Policies Extension is a Group Policy extension that
you can use to automate configuration of Wireless Network Group Policy
settings. Configuration of Wireless Group Policy settings requires, at
minimum, one domain controller running a Microsoft® Windows ServerT 2003
operating system. The Wireless Network Policies Extension is supported on
client computers running Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 1 and later)
and using IEEE 802.11 access with IEEE 802.1x authentication in a wireless
network."

--

----- Joshua Teague [MSFT] wrote: -----

Yes.

Go to Group Policy Object Editor and edit the policy. Then go down to
the
Network Access drop down menu. From the drop down menu select "Access
point
(infrastructure) network only." That will handle wireless clients in
that
OU.

--
Joshua
[MSFT]
rights.

"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a
wireless
NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a
registry
edit?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have been using multinetwork manager, to more easily manage the settings
(wireless and other windows settings) for all my users, don't know if it
will help you in this specific case but you can ask the support.
www.globesoft.com

HTH

"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless
NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry
edit?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks for everyone's replies. We are upgrading our DCs to 2003 this summer so I will probably wait until then.

Thanks again!
Brian