Disable AD HOC wireless

I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry edit?
5 answers Last reply
More about disable wireless

    Yes.

    Go to Group Policy Object Editor and edit the policy. Then go down to the
    Network Access drop down menu. From the drop down menu select "Access point
    (infrastructure) network only." That will handle wireless clients in that
    OU.

    --
    Joshua
    [MSFT]

    "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
    wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless
    NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry
    edit?

    I can't seem to find this setting anywhere in the Group Policy Management Console. Is there an extra template that I need to load?

    Thanks in advance...
    Brian

    ----- Joshua Teague [MSFT] wrote: -----

    Yes.

    Go to Group Policy Object Editor and edit the policy. Then go down to the
    Network Access drop down menu. From the drop down menu select "Access point
    (infrastructure) network only." That will handle wireless clients in that
    OU.

    --
    Joshua
    [MSFT]

    "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
    wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless
    NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry
    edit?

    What is your configuration? Specifically what server are you using? If you
    don't have at least one Server 2003 DC then you can not manage Wireless
    Group Policy.

    from
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/default.asp
    on the left expand Technologies Collections --> Group Policy Collection -->
    Group Policy Components --> Wireless Network Policies Extension Technical
    Reference

    "The Wireless Network Policies Extension is a Group Policy extension that
    you can use to automate configuration of Wireless Network Group Policy
    settings. Configuration of Wireless Group Policy settings requires, at
    minimum, one domain controller running a Microsoft® Windows ServerT 2003
    operating system. The Wireless Network Policies Extension is supported on
    client computers running Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 1 and later)
    and using IEEE 802.11 access with IEEE 802.1x authentication in a wireless
    network."

    --

    ----- Joshua Teague [MSFT] wrote: -----

    Yes.

    Go to Group Policy Object Editor and edit the policy. Then go down to
    the
    Network Access drop down menu. From the drop down menu select "Access
    point
    (infrastructure) network only." That will handle wireless clients in
    that
    OU.

    --
    Joshua
    [MSFT]
    rights.

    "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
    wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a
    wireless
    NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a
    registry
    edit?

    I have been using multinetwork manager, to more easily manage the settings
    (wireless and other windows settings) for all my users, don't know if it
    will help you in this specific case but you can ask the support.
    www.globesoft.com

    HTH

    "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
    wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless
    NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry
    edit?

    Thanks for everyone's replies. We are upgrading our DCs to 2003 this summer so I will probably wait until then.

    Thanks again!
    Brian

    ----- Michael wrote: -----

    I have been using multinetwork manager, to more easily manage the settings
    (wireless and other windows settings) for all my users, don't know if it
    will help you in this specific case but you can ask the support.
    www.globesoft.com

    HTH

    "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I support ~400 laptop users on a coporate wireless network. I was
    wondering if it was possible to restrict the ability to switch a wireless
    NIC over to AD-HOC mode either through an Active Directory GPO or a registry
    edit?

Wireless Wireless Network Wireless Networking