Is it necessary to uninstall old drivers before installing..

When updating to new ati radeon drivers, is it necessary to uninstall the
old drivers first?

Also, how come there now seem to be 2 different download options from the
ati site,

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=17&submit.y=7

The 20meg one is about the size of the last one I got, is the catalyst
control center the in the larger download a new feature? Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance.

On 9/11/2004 11:50 AM NightSky 421 brightened our day with:

>Does the Catalyst driver uninstall program on ATI's website also uninstall
>the control panel?

It uninstalls everything, even things like the Ruby ATI demo and MMC and
Hydravision. It un-ATIs your system.

--
History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

On 9/11/2004 10:08 AM Art brightened our day with:

>When updating to new ati radeon drivers, is it necessary to uninstall the
>old drivers first?

I install over the top, if something goes wrong I fix it. 9 times out
of 10 nothing goes wrong (YMMV). Last time it did go wrong, so I used
the ATI uninstall utility and reinstalled the 4.9s.

--
History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Also, the ATI - Software Uninstall Utility in Add or Remove Programs removes
everything, even demos (though I don't use MMC, so can't say 100% on that).

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 9/11/2004 11:50 AM NightSky 421 brightened our day with:
>

>>Does the Catalyst driver uninstall program on ATI's website also uninstall
>>the control panel?
>>

> It uninstalls everything, even things like the Ruby ATI demo and MMC and
> Hydravision. It un-ATIs your system.
>

> --
> History shows again and again
> How nature points up the folly of men
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Not really at all....

BUT if your comp is stuffed up already it is advisable that you DO so...in
safe mode ideally..

"Art" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> When updating to new ati radeon drivers, is it necessary to uninstall the
> old drivers first?
>
> Also, how come there now seem to be 2 different download options from the
> ati site,
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=17&submit.y=7
>
> The 20meg one is about the size of the last one I got, is the catalyst
> control center the in the larger download a new feature? Is it necessary?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The new instructions at

http://www.ati.com/support/installation/radeon/winxp/radeoninstallwinxp.html

don't mention any need for uninstalling older drivers. They do recommend
removing older versions of MultiMediaCenter before installing newer
versions, though.

http://www.ati.com/support/installation/radeon/winxp/mmcinstallwinxp.html
--
Aloke
----

"Art" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> When updating to new ati radeon drivers, is it necessary to uninstall the
> old drivers first?
>
> Also, how come there now seem to be 2 different download options from the
> ati site,
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonwdm-xp.html?type=xp&prodType=graphic&prod=productsXPdriver&submit.x=17&submit.y=7
>
> The 20meg one is about the size of the last one I got, is the catalyst
> control center the in the larger download a new feature? Is it necessary?
>
> Thanks in advance.

mark

You wrote in
news:KAJ0d.211165$pTn.94797@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com thusly:

> Also, the ATI - Software Uninstall Utility in Add or Remove Programs
> removes everything, even demos (though I don't use MMC, so can't say
> 100% on that).

It removes the MMC, too.

--

Mark

mark

You wrote in news:YXV0d.15351$787.2553@fe2.columbus.rr.com thusly:

> The new instructions at
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/radeon/winxp/radeoninstallwinxp.html
>
> don't mention any need for uninstalling older drivers. They do
> recommend removing older versions of MultiMediaCenter before
> installing newer versions, though.
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/installation/radeon/winxp/mmcinstallwinxp.html

I don't know if you can be sure of anything at this point. In the
instructions for the Display driver it reads:

"3. If you are using an ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON or RADEON 64MB DDR VIVO
product you should install the appropriate WDM capture drivers prior
to installing the display drivers. The WDM capture drivers will be
needed in order to have capture support available."

Installing the WDM driver prior is a bit difficult with the FULL package
as the installer automatically first installs the Display Driver, the
Control Panel and finally the WDM driver. So ATI doesn't follow their
own advice.

--

Mark