System Restore

I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared. I
get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says: System
Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do to
get it back.
13 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    Go to Start > Run and type: SERVICES.MSC , and hit enter.
    Scroll down to "System Restore Service", right-click on it and select
    Properties and set the Startup Type to Automatic, then Start the
    service. Do the same for the "Task Scheduler" service.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "systemrestorehelp" wrote:

    | I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared. I
    | get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says: System
    | Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    | administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do to
    | get it back.

    As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
    caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
    the advice given in the following pages:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
    restrictions. Follow this:

    Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

    In the right-pane,
    Delete the value "DisableConfig"
    Delete the value "DisableSR"

    For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
    Policy Editor as well. Details follows:

    Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
    Navigate to this path:

    =>Computer Configuration
    ==>Administrative Templates
    ===>System
    ====>System Restore

    In the right-pane, do the following:

    Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
    Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"

    More Information:
    ------------------

    "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    >I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared.
    > get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    > System
    > Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    > administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do
    > get it back.

    I'll try this if the problem recurs, I tried the reinstall and that seemed
    to fix it, though I lost all me restore points.

    That raises another question. Are all the data deleted from those restore
    points or are they just inaccessible by System Restore? The point is if I
    can't use them but they are taking up space is there some way to delete
    them?

    --

    Regards,
    Bob Brannon

    As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
    caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
    the advice given in the following pages:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
    restrictions. Follow this:

    Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

    In the right-pane,
    Delete the value "DisableConfig"
    Delete the value "DisableSR"

    For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
    Policy Editor as well. Details follows:

    Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
    Navigate to this path:

    =>Computer Configuration
    ==>Administrative Templates
    ===>System
    ====>System Restore

    In the right-pane, do the following:

    Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
    Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"

    More Information:
    ------------------

    "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    >I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared.
    > get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    > System
    > Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    > administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do
    > get it back.

    Bob,

    One way to ensure that the System Restore points are purged is, to manually
    disable and then enable System Restore.

    Quickly reset all the System Restore points (Windows XP):
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/resetsr.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    > I'll try this if the problem recurs, I tried the reinstall and that seemed
    > to fix it, though I lost all me restore points.
    >
    > That raises another question. Are all the data deleted from those restore
    > points or are they just inaccessible by System Restore? The point is if I
    > can't use them but they are taking up space is there some way to delete
    > them?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob Brannon

    > As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
    > caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
    > the advice given in the following pages:
    >
    > Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
    >
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    >
    > Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
    > restrictions. Follow this:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    > Navigate to the following key:
    > HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
    >
    > In the right-pane,
    > Delete the value "DisableConfig"
    > Delete the value "DisableSR"
    >
    > For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
    > Policy Editor as well. Details follows:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
    > Navigate to this path:
    >
    > =>Computer Configuration
    > ==>Administrative Templates
    > ===>System
    > ====>System Restore
    >
    > In the right-pane, do the following:
    >
    > Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
    > Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"
    >
    > More Information:
    > ------------------
    >
    > "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    > "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    >>I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared.
    >> get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    >> System
    >> Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    >> administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do
    >> get it back.

    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

> [...]

    > More Information:
    > ------------------
    >
    > "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    > "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    >>I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared.
    >> get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    >> System
    >> Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    >> administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do

    Ramesh,

    How does one "run" a script? Just enter it in the run window from the start
    menu, double click on it or what?

    Also, does this delete all the data or just clear it from system restore?
    --

    Regards,
    Bob Brannon

> [...]

    > More Information:
    > ------------------
    >
    > "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    > "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    >>I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared.
    >> get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    >> System
    >> Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    >> administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do

    Bob,

    That script is an equivalent of turning OFF System Restore and turning it ON
    manually. You need script only if you want to automate the task, or you use
    it very often. BTW, you save the lines to a Notepad document, and save as
    resetsr.vbs (beware of double-quotes), and double-click the VBS file.

    --

> [...]
    >> ------------------
    >>
    >> "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    >> "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry
    >> value
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> in
    >> message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    >>>I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply
    >>>disappeared.
    >>> get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    >>> System
    >>> Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    >>> administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to

    Ramesh,

    So is there a way to delete the data on my hard drive from all the old
    restore points?

    Bob

> [...]

    >> ------------------
    >>
    >> "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    >> "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry
    >> value
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> in
    >> message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    >>>I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply
    >>>disappeared.
    >>> get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    >>> System
    >>> Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    >>> administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to

    Ramesh,
    A very very big thank you to you for this help as I also had the same problem.
    What people dont realise is that for every one who has this problem, many
    people read the article and find the answer without giving you the
    recognition you deserve.
    I was pulling my hair out, however after following your instructions have
    returned my system without having to reformat my hard drive.
    Your help is invaluble and very much appreciated and I do hope you continue
    knowing that somewhere, someone was helped by you.
    Thank you and your team, a very happy user.
    Dean williams.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
    > caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
    > the advice given in the following pages:
    >
    > Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
    >
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    >
    > Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
    > restrictions. Follow this:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    > Navigate to the following key:
    > HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
    >
    > In the right-pane,
    > Delete the value "DisableConfig"
    > Delete the value "DisableSR"
    >
    > For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
    > Policy Editor as well. Details follows:
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
    > Navigate to this path:
    >
    > =>Computer Configuration
    > ==>Administrative Templates
    > ===>System
    > ====>System Restore
    >
    > In the right-pane, do the following:
    >
    > Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
    > Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"
    >
    > More Information:
    > ------------------
    >
    > "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    > "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "systemrestorehelp" <systemrestorehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:8D22B105-85ED-472D-A7D6-E91C80BE0FB4@microsoft.com...
    > >I am having a big problem with system restore - it has simply disappeared.
    > > get an error message when I go to help and support. The errors says:
    > > System
    > > Restore has been turned off by group police. Please contact the domain
    > > administrator. My computer isn't on a domai. So I don't know what to do
    > > get it back.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Bob,

    Disabling and enabling System Restore will clear all the restore points.
    This means, all the files in each snapshot (within System Volume Information
    folder) are erased.

    --

    > Ramesh,
    >
    > So is there a way to delete the data on my hard drive from all the old
    > restore points?
    >
    > Bob

    > Bob,
    >
    > That script is an equivalent of turning OFF System Restore and turning it
    > ON
    > manually. You need script only if you want to automate the task, or you
    > use
    > it very often. BTW, you save the lines to a Notepad document, and save as
    > resetsr.vbs (beware of double-quotes), and double-click the VBS file.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thank you very much for your help!

    Bob,

    Disabling and enabling System Restore will clear all the restore points.
    This means, all the files in each snapshot (within System Volume Information
    folder) are erased.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    > Ramesh,
    >
    > So is there a way to delete the data on my hard drive from all the old
    > restore points?
    >
    > Bob

    > Bob,
    >
    > That script is an equivalent of turning OFF System Restore and turning it
    > ON
    > manually. You need script only if you want to automate the task, or you
    > use
    > it very often. BTW, you save the lines to a Notepad document, and save as
    > resetsr.vbs (beware of double-quotes), and double-click the VBS file.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    You're welcome Bob.

    --

    > Thank you very much for your help!

    > Bob,
    >
    > Disabling and enabling System Restore will clear all the restore points.
    > This means, all the files in each snapshot (within System Volume
    > Information
    > folder) are erased.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    >> Ramesh,
    >>
    >> So is there a way to delete the data on my hard drive from all the old
    >> restore points?
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Bob,
    >>
    >> That script is an equivalent of turning OFF System Restore and turning it
    >> ON
    >> manually. You need script only if you want to automate the task, or you
    >> use
    >> it very often. BTW, you save the lines to a Notepad document, and save as
    >> resetsr.vbs (beware of double-quotes), and double-click the VBS file.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    You're very welcome Dean. I certainly appreciate you for taking the time to
    post your feeback, and I'm glad the problem is resolved :-)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP