peter

Hey all,

I've installed XPSP2 on a couple of PCs which fixed a slow login
(Netware/AD) problem I have had, but it has caused heaps of other issues:

1. Network connections disappearing (MS's fixes for this don't work).
2. Native XP CD Burning software no longer working.
3. MS Activesync no longer synchronises Contacts/Calendar/Tasks (but Inbox &
Favourites still work - reinstalling didn't help).
4. Wireless modems (3G etc) don't initialise.
5. The windows installer service isn't accessible so
uninstalling/reinstalling things doesn't always work.

There are probably other things also but these are the most pressing for
now. Uninstalling SP2 cured all the above ills, but sets me back to the
original problem I installed it to fix.

Is an XPSP2a likely soon? If anyone can help with these I'd be grateful.

Thanks heaps guys!

Fix the problem first - then install SP2.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7FE1007C-460D-4C9F-9E74-9A04FD6A3459@microsoft.com...
| Hey all,
|
| I've installed XPSP2 on a couple of PCs which fixed a slow login
| (Netware/AD) problem I have had, but it has caused heaps of other issues:
|
| 1. Network connections disappearing (MS's fixes for this don't work).
| 2. Native XP CD Burning software no longer working.
| 3. MS Activesync no longer synchronises Contacts/Calendar/Tasks (but Inbox &
| Favourites still work - reinstalling didn't help).
| 4. Wireless modems (3G etc) don't initialise.
| 5. The windows installer service isn't accessible so
| uninstalling/reinstalling things doesn't always work.
|
| There are probably other things also but these are the most pressing for
| now. Uninstalling SP2 cured all the above ills, but sets me back to the
| original problem I installed it to fix.
|
| Is an XPSP2a likely soon? If anyone can help with these I'd be grateful.
|
| Thanks heaps guys!

Never seen all the issues you purported to have with SP2.
Suggest you make a new Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed
and then perform a "Repair Install".

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.p­hp?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.­php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Q. "Is an XPSP2a likely soon?"

A. No. Over 180 million XP users have successfully installed SP2.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Peter" wrote:

| Hey all,
|
| I've installed XPSP2 on a couple of PCs which fixed a slow login
| (Netware/AD) problem I have had, but it has caused heaps of other issues:
|
| 1. Network connections disappearing (MS's fixes for this don't work).
| 2. Native XP CD Burning software no longer working.
| 3. MS Activesync no longer synchronises Contacts/Calendar/Tasks (but Inbox &
| Favourites still work - reinstalling didn't help).
| 4. Wireless modems (3G etc) don't initialise.
| 5. The windows installer service isn't accessible so
| uninstalling/reinstalling things doesn't always work.
|
| There are probably other things also but these are the most pressing for
| now. Uninstalling SP2 cured all the above ills, but sets me back to the
| original problem I installed it to fix.
|
| Is an XPSP2a likely soon? If anyone can help with these I'd be grateful.
|
| Thanks heaps guys!

Carey - FYI, maybe just me but neither one of the slipstreaming links below
worked for me tonight.
Both gave 404 errors.

> Never seen all the issues you purported to have with SP2.
> Suggest you make a new Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed
> and then perform a "Repair Install".
>
> Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
> (integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:
>
> Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.p­hp?action=show&showarticle=49
>
> or
>
> AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
> http://www.wbeta.com/comments.­php?shownews=1063&catid=2
>
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>

> Q. "Is an XPSP2a likely soon?"
>
> A. No. Over 180 million XP users have successfully installed SP2.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Peter" wrote:
>
> | Hey all,
> |
> | I've installed XPSP2 on a couple of PCs which fixed a slow login
> | (Netware/AD) problem I have had, but it has caused heaps of other
> issues:
> |
> | 1. Network connections disappearing (MS's fixes for this don't work).
> | 2. Native XP CD Burning software no longer working.
> | 3. MS Activesync no longer synchronises Contacts/Calendar/Tasks (but
> Inbox &
> | Favourites still work - reinstalling didn't help).
> | 4. Wireless modems (3G etc) don't initialise.
> | 5. The windows installer service isn't accessible so
> | uninstalling/reinstalling things doesn't always work.
> |
> | There are probably other things also but these are the most pressing for
> | now. Uninstalling SP2 cured all the above ills, but sets me back to the
> | original problem I installed it to fix.
> |
> | Is an XPSP2a likely soon? If anyone can help with these I'd be grateful.
> |
> | Thanks heaps guys!

Try this link:
http://msfn.org/comments.php?id=9235&catid=1&highlight=slipstream

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

» mrtee « Wrote:
> Fix the problem first - then install SP2.
>
> --=20
> Just my 2=C2=A2 worth,
> Jeff
> "Peter" Peter@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message =
> | Hey all,
> |=20
> | I've installed XPSP2 on a couple of PCs which fixed a slow login=20
> | (Netware/AD) problem I have had, but it has caused heaps of other =
> issues:
> |=20
> | 1. Network connections disappearing (MS's fixes for this don't
> work).
> | 2. Native XP CD Burning software no longer working.
> | 3. MS Activesync no longer synchronises Contacts/Calendar/Tasks (but
> =
> Inbox &=20
> | Favourites still work - reinstalling didn't help).
> | 4. Wireless modems (3G etc) don't initialise.
> | 5. The windows installer service isn't accessible so=20
> | uninstalling/reinstalling things doesn't always work.
> |=20
> | There are probably other things also but these are the most pressing
> =
> for=20
> | now. Uninstalling SP2 cured all the above ills, but sets me back to
> =
> the=20
> | original problem I installed it to fix.
> |=20
> | Is an XPSP2a likely soon? If anyone can help with these I'd be =
> grateful.
> |=20
> | Thanks heaps guys!

Activesync in SP2
'You may receive an error message' (http://tinyurl.com/5s7mt)
CD Writing:
'CD RW stop writing after SP2 ' (http://tinyurl.com/4wyqs)
Need to know what kind of wireless modem.
Can't answer the rest, have to go. The wifes car is making a funny
noise!
Good luck,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Gordon

Treeman wrote:

What's all this business with "REPOST" in the subject line? I'm noticing it
in many groups just now.