modem software disappearing

The software doesnt record as installed when I install it but it does put
the shortcut on the desktop . The shortcut is for reading the internet
connections details from the ISP , downlod rate and it checks the connection
and quite a lot of other things too . The modem doesnt record as installed
either though it is connected and all lights are green .
This may have some connection with the ISP not being the connection
service . The ISP is Xtra and the local server is Ihug .
After half a day the connection disappears and I would have to reinstall
the modem software . This has been happening for weeks now .
It may be the failing harddrive I keep using is responsible .

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/s­scv6/default.asp?langid=ie&ven­id=sym

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP