Firewall

I downloaded Zonealarm onto my laptop and then was told that XP Service Pack
2 has a firewall with it. I uninstalled Zonealarm only to not be able to
turn the Firewall back on with Service Pack 2. It keeps telling me my ICF
won't work...or something like that. How can I get it turned back on.
Zonealarm makes it difficult to go on some websites. Thanks.

Try re-applying SP 2. If that doesn't work, try SP1 and then SP2
again.(Microsoft Windows XP)

I am willing to bet that will fix your issue.

Here is(was) the SP1 link.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/network.mspx

Here is(was) the SP2 link.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

"Michele Bristol" <Michele Bristol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CE688359-71CD-46D8-AC3C-11D63827DA15@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded Zonealarm onto my laptop and then was told that XP Service
>Pack
> 2 has a firewall with it. I uninstalled Zonealarm only to not be able to
> turn the Firewall back on with Service Pack 2. It keeps telling me my ICF
> won't work...or something like that. How can I get it turned back on.
> Zonealarm makes it difficult to go on some websites. Thanks.

Thanks for your help but I actually found out someone else had the same
problem and it was caused by installing Microsoft Spyware (Beta) which caused
the problem. Thanks.

"William Ducklow" wrote:

> Try re-applying SP 2. If that doesn't work, try SP1 and then SP2
> again.(Microsoft Windows XP)
>
> I am willing to bet that will fix your issue.
>
> Here is(was) the SP1 link.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/network.mspx
>
> Here is(was) the SP2 link.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en
>

> "Michele Bristol" <Michele Bristol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CE688359-71CD-46D8-AC3C-11D63827DA15@microsoft.com...
> >I downloaded Zonealarm onto my laptop and then was told that XP Service
> >Pack
> > 2 has a firewall with it. I uninstalled Zonealarm only to not be able to
> > turn the Firewall back on with Service Pack 2. It keeps telling me my ICF
> > won't work...or something like that. How can I get it turned back on.
> > Zonealarm makes it difficult to go on some websites. Thanks.

I suggest that you re-install Zone Alaram.

By default Zone Alaram is supposed to block ALL outgoing traffic. That is a
good thing. The XP fire wall does not even try to do that; it only blocks
some incoming traffic.

Zone Alarm is reasonably intelligent and can be easily trained. When it
asks do you want to grant access to a program, check the "remember" box,
then click either allow or not as you choose. HINT: If you just clicked on
a legitimate program that logically should access the internet, and ZA
popups up, choose allow. If a popup occurs for no obvious reason, say no,
although possibly only for that occurance. Then try to find out what the
program is and why it is trying to get out of the PC.

ZA maintains a list of pograms and your choices, which you can change any
time. From the main ZA interface, prgam control, programs. Change any that
you want to always connect to a "check mark". To block, change to an "X".
To casue the popup each time, change to "?".

If a legitimate program does not cause a ZA popup and also does not connect,
you might need to add the website to a small list of trusted sites. From
the main ZA interface, choose firewall and zones. Add to the trusted zones
the main web address of the company. For example for Norton Antivirus add
www.symantec.com .

"Michele Bristol" <Michele Bristol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CE688359-71CD-46D8-AC3C-11D63827DA15@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded Zonealarm onto my laptop and then was told that XP Service
>Pack
> 2 has a firewall with it. I uninstalled Zonealarm only to not be able to
> turn the Firewall back on with Service Pack 2. It keeps telling me my ICF
> won't work...or something like that. How can I get it turned back on.
> Zonealarm makes it difficult to go on some websites. Thanks.

Bob - My understanding was that XP SP2's firewall does the samething that ZA
does. I was told that they've worked out the glitches......are you telling
me that's not true?

"Bob Harris" wrote:

> I suggest that you re-install Zone Alaram.
>
> By default Zone Alaram is supposed to block ALL outgoing traffic. That is a
> good thing. The XP fire wall does not even try to do that; it only blocks
> some incoming traffic.
>
> Zone Alarm is reasonably intelligent and can be easily trained. When it
> asks do you want to grant access to a program, check the "remember" box,
> then click either allow or not as you choose. HINT: If you just clicked on
> a legitimate program that logically should access the internet, and ZA
> popups up, choose allow. If a popup occurs for no obvious reason, say no,
> although possibly only for that occurance. Then try to find out what the
> program is and why it is trying to get out of the PC.
>
> ZA maintains a list of pograms and your choices, which you can change any
> time. From the main ZA interface, prgam control, programs. Change any that
> you want to always connect to a "check mark". To block, change to an "X".
> To casue the popup each time, change to "?".
>
> If a legitimate program does not cause a ZA popup and also does not connect,
> you might need to add the website to a small list of trusted sites. From
> the main ZA interface, choose firewall and zones. Add to the trusted zones
> the main web address of the company. For example for Norton Antivirus add
> www.symantec.com .
>
> "Michele Bristol" <Michele Bristol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CE688359-71CD-46D8-AC3C-11D63827DA15@microsoft.com...
> >I downloaded Zonealarm onto my laptop and then was told that XP Service
> >Pack
> > 2 has a firewall with it. I uninstalled Zonealarm only to not be able to
> > turn the Firewall back on with Service Pack 2. It keeps telling me my ICF
> > won't work...or something like that. How can I get it turned back on.
> > Zonealarm makes it difficult to go on some websites. Thanks.

Is this the fix you tried?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:51:12 -0800, mbristol7 wrote:

> Bob - My understanding was that XP SP2's firewall does the samething that ZA
> does. I was told that they've worked out the glitches......are you telling
> me that's not true?

XP SP2 Firewall is no where near as much or as good as the free ZA
firewall product.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me