McAfee Virus Install and Uninstall

I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
(software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
--
mbristol7
9 answers Last reply

    Windows XP SP2 does not include antivirus protection.
    You still need to use a good third-party antivirus program
    to protect your PC. A firewall alone will not prevent your PC
    from becoming infected with a virus.

    Contact McAfee support for help uninstalling their program:

    Welcome to McAfee Technical Support!
    http://www.networkassociates.com/us/support/technical_support/

    Frequently asked Questions about Antivirus software
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

    Microsoft Windows Security Center Antivirus Partners
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "mbristol7" wrote:

    | I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
    | was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
    | (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
    | I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
    | McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
    | --
    | mbristol7

    I've replaced McAfee with Avast.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Windows XP SP2 does not include antivirus protection.
    > You still need to use a good third-party antivirus program
    > to protect your PC. A firewall alone will not prevent your PC
    > from becoming infected with a virus.
    >
    > Contact McAfee support for help uninstalling their program:
    >
    > Welcome to McAfee Technical Support!
    > http://www.networkassociates.com/us/support/technical_support/
    >
    > Frequently asked Questions about Antivirus software
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx
    >
    > 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    >
    > Microsoft Windows Security Center Antivirus Partners
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "mbristol7" wrote:
    >
    > | I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
    > | was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
    > | (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
    > | I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
    > | McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
    > | --
    > | mbristol7

    Use Regedit and search your registry for "McAfee" and delete
    any keys referencing it.

    Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter.

    Or you can try this program:
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/195895.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "mbristol7" wrote:

    | I've replaced McAfee with Avast.

    Thanks!!! I will do that when I get home. You've been a great help!!!! Have
    a blessed day!!!

    From: "mbristol7" <mbristol7@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
    | was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
    | (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
    | I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
    | McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
    | --
    | mbristol7

    There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

    microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    If you had posted to them FIRST then you would have been told that that is FAULTY
    information. Ad-aware SE does NOT protect or remove viruses and WinXP has no built-in
    capability and hardware FireWalls would provide file level virus protection at all.

    /* *Re-install the McAfee software ASAP !* */

    --
    Dave

    Ad-Aware is spyware and I have Avast which is a virus software. I don't need
    McAfee or do you still think differently?

    From: "mbristol7" <mbristol7@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | Ad-Aware is spyware and I have Avast which is a virus software. I don't need
    | McAfee or do you still think differently?

    | "David H. Lipman" wrote: |

    That's right, you need BOTH forms of anti malware applications to cover viral and non-viral
    malware.

    It is *your* choice of what AV application to use. I prefer MvcAfee Corp/Enterprise
    software over their retain products. But, I still think McAfee is better than AVAST.

    If you want to keep AVAST and want to completely remove McAfee you can go to --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/
    And choose; "Repair damage"
    Go to; "4. Uninstalling corrupted antivirus software"
    For information on removing McAfee Retail AV software v5 ~ v9

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/ --> "Got a virus?"

    You still need a virus scanner.

    "mbristol7" <mbristol7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
    > was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
    > (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee.
    > Now
    > I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
    > McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
    > --
    > mbristol7

    Leave McAfee on your machine. Anti-virus is an essential component!
    You might get further assistance at the MCAfee Support Group:
    http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php/

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "William Ducklow" <wducklow@sehcomp.ca> wrote in message
    > You still need a virus scanner.
    >
    > "mbristol7" <mbristol7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because
    >> was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
    >> (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee.
    >> Now
    >> I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
    >> McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
    >> --
    >> mbristol7

McAfee Virus Firewalls Windows XP