McAfee Virus Install and Uninstall

I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
(software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
--
mbristol7

Windows XP SP2 does not include antivirus protection.
You still need to use a good third-party antivirus program
to protect your PC. A firewall alone will not prevent your PC
from becoming infected with a virus.

Contact McAfee support for help uninstalling their program:

Welcome to McAfee Technical Support!
http://www.networkassociates.com/us/support/technical_support/

Frequently asked Questions about Antivirus software
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

Microsoft Windows Security Center Antivirus Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mbristol7" wrote:

| I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
| was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
| (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
| I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
| McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
| --
| mbristol7

I've replaced McAfee with Avast.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP SP2 does not include antivirus protection.
> You still need to use a good third-party antivirus program
> to protect your PC. A firewall alone will not prevent your PC
> from becoming infected with a virus.
>
> Contact McAfee support for help uninstalling their program:
>
> Welcome to McAfee Technical Support!
> http://www.networkassociates.com/us/support/technical_support/
>
> Frequently asked Questions about Antivirus software
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx
>
> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
>
> Microsoft Windows Security Center Antivirus Partners
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "mbristol7" wrote:
>
> | I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
> | was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
> | (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
> | I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
> | McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
> | --
> | mbristol7

Use Regedit and search your registry for "McAfee" and delete
any keys referencing it.

Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter.

Or you can try this program:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/195895.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mbristol7" wrote:

| I've replaced McAfee with Avast.

Thanks!!! I will do that when I get home. You've been a great help!!!! Have
a blessed day!!!

From: "mbristol7" <mbristol7@discussions.microsoft.com>

| I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
| was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
| (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee. Now
| I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
| McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
| --
| mbristol7

There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
microsoft.public.security.virus
alt.comp.virus
alt.comp.anti-virus

If you had posted to them FIRST then you would have been told that that is FAULTY
information. Ad-aware SE does NOT protect or remove viruses and WinXP has no built-in
capability and hardware FireWalls would provide file level virus protection at all.

/* *Re-install the McAfee software ASAP !* */

--
Dave

Ad-Aware is spyware and I have Avast which is a virus software. I don't need
McAfee or do you still think differently?

From: "mbristol7" <mbristol7@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Ad-Aware is spyware and I have Avast which is a virus software. I don't need
| McAfee or do you still think differently?

| "David H. Lipman" wrote: |

That's right, you need BOTH forms of anti malware applications to cover viral and non-viral
malware.

It is *your* choice of what AV application to use. I prefer MvcAfee Corp/Enterprise
software over their retain products. But, I still think McAfee is better than AVAST.

If you want to keep AVAST and want to completely remove McAfee you can go to --
http://www.ik-cs.com/
And choose; "Repair damage"
Go to; "4. Uninstalling corrupted antivirus software"
For information on removing McAfee Retail AV software v5 ~ v9

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/ --> "Got a virus?"

You still need a virus scanner.

"mbristol7" <mbristol7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had downloaded and then uninstalled the McAfee Virus protection because I
> was told that with d-Line Router (hardware firewall) and Windows XP2
> (software firewall) that I only needed Ad-Aware and to take off McAfee.
> Now
> I am constantly getting an error message that it can't find a particular
> McAfee file. What can I do to fix this?
> --
> mbristol7

peter

Leave McAfee on your machine. Anti-virus is an essential component!
You might get further assistance at the MCAfee Support Group:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php/

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.