No administrator capability

I somehow changed my user capability and lost administrator capability. How
do I reinstate this? I have read other inputs and have not found a method
that seems to work. Thanks in advance.
--
Bill
3 answers Last reply

    Bill wrote:
    > I somehow changed my user capability and lost administrator
    > capability. How do I reinstate this? I have read other inputs and
    > have not found a method that seems to work. Thanks in advance.

    You would need to give much more information.

    What do you mean by your statement, "I somehow changed my user capability
    ..."?
    XP Home or XP Pro?
    Classic logon or Welcome screen logon?

    If XP Home, have you tried Safe Mode boot and logging in as "administrator"
    with no password?
    If XP Professional and Welcome Screen logon, have you tried CTRL+ALT+DEL
    twice and logging in as "administrator" with no password?

    Don't know the "administrator" user's password?

    How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

    Log in using safe mode..
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

    Hack your password:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    Another Password Hack:
    http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

    If you somehow CAN logon as an administrative user (if Home, the
    administrator user in safe mode is your best bet) - then look here:

    Start -> Run
    gpedit.msc

    Computer Configuration
    Windows Settings
    Security Settings
    Local Policies
    User Rights Assignment

    Look at the :
    - Deny Log on Locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in
    is not listed here.)
    - Log on locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in is
    listed here.)

    <- Shenan ->

    Bill wrote:
    > I somehow changed my user capability and lost administrator capability. How
    > do I reinstate this? I have read other inputs and have not found a method
    > that seems to work. Thanks in advance.

    Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
    cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account(s). By design, the
    only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    To Bruce and Shenan - thanks for responding. Through your info., I learned
    how to log on in safe mode and discovered how to reactivate the administrator
    function. Once in safe mode, go to conrol panel and select Users. Voila! -
    an admin appears, and thus provides capability of enabling new users and
    changing status on existing users. I was able to convert my user back to
    administrator. Problem solved! Thanks again.

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Bill wrote:
    > > I somehow changed my user capability and lost administrator capability. How
    > > do I reinstate this? I have read other inputs and have not found a method
    > > that seems to work. Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
    > cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account(s). By design, the
    > only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    > reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    > the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you: