bill

I somehow changed my user capability and lost administrator capability. How
do I reinstate this? I have read other inputs and have not found a method
that seems to work. Thanks in advance.
--
Bill

Bill wrote:
> I somehow changed my user capability and lost administrator
> capability. How do I reinstate this? I have read other inputs and
> have not found a method that seems to work. Thanks in advance.

You would need to give much more information.

What do you mean by your statement, "I somehow changed my user capability
..."?
XP Home or XP Pro?
Classic logon or Welcome screen logon?

If XP Home, have you tried Safe Mode boot and logging in as "administrator"
with no password?
If XP Professional and Welcome Screen logon, have you tried CTRL+ALT+DEL
twice and logging in as "administrator" with no password?

Don't know the "administrator" user's password?

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Log in using safe mode..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Hack your password:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Another Password Hack:
http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

If you somehow CAN logon as an administrative user (if Home, the
administrator user in safe mode is your best bet) - then look here:

Start -> Run
gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration
Windows Settings
Security Settings
Local Policies
User Rights Assignment

Look at the :
- Deny Log on Locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in
is not listed here.)
- Log on locally (Make sure your user and/or group(s) your user is in is
listed here.)

<- Shenan ->

Bill wrote:
> I somehow changed my user capability and lost administrator capability. How
> do I reinstate this? I have read other inputs and have not found a method
> that seems to work. Thanks in advance.

Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account (which
cannot be deleted) and modify the desired account(s). By design, the
only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

bill

To Bruce and Shenan - thanks for responding. Through your info., I learned
how to log on in safe mode and discovered how to reactivate the administrator
function. Once in safe mode, go to conrol panel and select Users. Voila! -
an admin appears, and thus provides capability of enabling new users and
changing status on existing users. I was able to convert my user back to
administrator. Problem solved! Thanks again.