  • Asus
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2004 3:11:52 AM

Hello computer wizards outthere,

Could someone please tell me if it is possible to open the extra 4 pipelines
in the asus x800pro tvd and how to do this. I know with some vivo cards this
is possible. Tried one time to flash with the gigabyte xt bios but it did
not open them. Hope someone can help me out. I do not want to hardmod.

Thnkx very much in advance.

Greetz Etienne

More about : upgrade asus x800pro tvd x800xt

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 3:11:53 AM

Yep, it's a hardware Mod, not a software Mod on the Pro's and non VIVO (as
in bios etc for the VIVO)

I know because I've done it.

Warty

"EQU" <etienne.quist@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Hello computer wizards outthere,
>
> Could someone please tell me if it is possible to open the extra 4
pipelines
> in the asus x800pro tvd and how to do this. I know with some vivo cards
this
> is possible. Tried one time to flash with the gigabyte xt bios but it did
> not open them. Hope someone can help me out. I do not want to hardmod.
>
> Thnkx very much in advance.
>
> Greetz Etienne

September 16, 2004 3:11:53 AM

"EQU" <etienne.quist@tiscali.nl> wrote in message
> Hello computer wizards outthere,
>
> Could someone please tell me if it is possible to open the extra 4
> pipelines
> in the asus x800pro tvd and how to do this. I know with some vivo cards
> this
> is possible. Tried one time to flash with the gigabyte xt bios but it did
> not open them. Hope someone can help me out. I do not want to hardmod.
>
> Thnkx very much in advance.
>
> Greetz Etienne

From what I have read it only works on the VIVO cards and it does not always
give better performance results. Here is a clip from another NG post.

>>A friend of mine has an X800 Pro. You know a good Firware site where he
>>can download >>Firmware to try and unlock from 12 to 16 pipelines?

"Not going to happen unless he has a VIVO model; since all x800 pro vivos
have ATI Rage Theater or whatever it's called, and so do XT PEs,
manufacturers just started out by relabeling failed XTs and disabling four
pipes in the bios. This was probably a convenient way to get rid of tons and
tons of would-be XTs whose 1.6ns ram can barely touch 500MHz let alone 540.
Pretty much any vivo x800 available now will have a laser cut across that
little bridge to the upper right of the core, just like the normal Pros.
Apparently they're still using failed XT GPUs and RAM but for some reason
even hardmodding doesn't usually work on them any more.
If he does have a vivo model, just google x800 pro vivo soft mod. He'll need
the Gigabyte

(regardless of card brand) flash prog, the Gigabyte X800XT PE bios, and the
ATI flash prog to backup and restore his original bios after (you can flash
back and retain all 16 pipes).
I have a softmodded Sapphire x800 vivo myself, it's not all that though;
sure, if you're ridiculously lucky you have more or less an XT PE, but
there's a reason it wasn't just sold as one. Mine's only stable with GPU/RAM
both at 513MHz; going to need water (and obviously that won't do much for
the ram) to get anything like I could with my regular ATI x800. All said
it's still about 10% faster than my old one (with both oced) but it's no
free XT. Will be neat if yields ever get good enough for even real XTs to be
able to oc much."

Another way to flash maybe here

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcar...

Good Luck