Block Instant Messenger

Hi,

Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
xp machine??

Thanks
Sumit
4 answers Last reply
More about block instant messenger

    Hello sumit,
    To turn off Windows mess.>click start>click control panel>click add
    remove> click windows components> uncheck windows mess. box. Most firewalls
    also allow you to block incomming IM's as well. Best of luck to you.
    Ron J

    "sumit" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
    > xp machine??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sumit

    Hi Ron

    I meant blocking all Instant Messengers. We user windows NT and windows 2003
    servers. is there a way blocking it as server level? or at client level so
    that user cant user yahoo or any other messenger??

    Thanks
    Sumit

    "Ron J" wrote:

    > Hello sumit,
    > To turn off Windows mess.>click start>click control panel>click add
    > remove> click windows components> uncheck windows mess. box. Most firewalls
    > also allow you to block incomming IM's as well. Best of luck to you.
    > Ron J
    >

    > "sumit" wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
    > > xp machine??
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Sumit

    Sumit, here is a great article that should help you out:
    http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/articles/february01/cover.shtml (It's a
    bit dated but the information in there is good.) Be sure and read the
    paragraph entitled "P2P Action Items."

    In our organization, all of our users have "Domain Users" rights only AND we
    have IE Downloading disabled. If they were able to obtain the executable they
    would still need Admin rights to install the program. Additionally, the
    "Security" tab in I.E. is not visible. Anytime a user requires access to a
    specific site to download work related material, we add the legitimate URL to
    their "Trusted Sites" list. We are currently working to distribute a global
    "Trusted Sites" list to ease the overhead on administrative tasks.

    Hope this helps,

    Eugenio

    "sumit" wrote:

    > Hi Ron
    >
    > I meant blocking all Instant Messengers. We user windows NT and windows 2003
    > servers. is there a way blocking it as server level? or at client level so
    > that user cant user yahoo or any other messenger??
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sumit
    >
    > "Ron J" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello sumit,
    > > To turn off Windows mess.>click start>click control panel>click add
    > > remove> click windows components> uncheck windows mess. box. Most firewalls
    > > also allow you to block incomming IM's as well. Best of luck to you.
    > > Ron J
    > >

    > > "sumit" wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
    > > > xp machine??
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > > Sumit

Security Messenger Microsoft Windows XP