  • Messenger
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 17, 2005 10:27:09 AM

Hi,

Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
xp machine??

Thanks
Sumit

More about : block instant messenger

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 17, 2005 1:33:05 PM

Hello sumit,
To turn off Windows mess.>click start>click control panel>click add
remove> click windows components> uncheck windows mess. box. Most firewalls
also allow you to block incomming IM's as well. Best of luck to you.
Ron J

"sumit" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
> xp machine??
>
> Thanks
> Sumit
March 18, 2005 4:23:04 AM

Hi Ron

I meant blocking all Instant Messengers. We user windows NT and windows 2003
servers. is there a way blocking it as server level? or at client level so
that user cant user yahoo or any other messenger??

Thanks
Sumit

"Ron J" wrote:

> Hello sumit,
> To turn off Windows mess.>click start>click control panel>click add
> remove> click windows components> uncheck windows mess. box. Most firewalls
> also allow you to block incomming IM's as well. Best of luck to you.
> Ron J
>

> "sumit" wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
> > xp machine??
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sumit
a b 8 Security
March 18, 2005 9:43:03 AM

Sumit, here is a great article that should help you out:
http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/articles/february... (It's a
bit dated but the information in there is good.) Be sure and read the
paragraph entitled "P2P Action Items."

In our organization, all of our users have "Domain Users" rights only AND we
have IE Downloading disabled. If they were able to obtain the executable they
would still need Admin rights to install the program. Additionally, the
"Security" tab in I.E. is not visible. Anytime a user requires access to a
specific site to download work related material, we add the legitimate URL to
their "Trusted Sites" list. We are currently working to distribute a global
"Trusted Sites" list to ease the overhead on administrative tasks.

Hope this helps,

Eugenio

"sumit" wrote:

> Hi Ron
>
> I meant blocking all Instant Messengers. We user windows NT and windows 2003
> servers. is there a way blocking it as server level? or at client level so
> that user cant user yahoo or any other messenger??
>
> Thanks
> Sumit
>
> "Ron J" wrote:
>
> > Hello sumit,
> > To turn off Windows mess.>click start>click control panel>click add
> > remove> click windows components> uncheck windows mess. box. Most firewalls
> > also allow you to block incomming IM's as well. Best of luck to you.
> > Ron J
> >

> > "sumit" wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Can I block Instant Messengers from installing and running on a particular
> > > xp machine??
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Sumit
March 18, 2005 11:09:04 AM