OOopss.. did I break my brand new Radeon 9700 pro???

I bought a new Ati Radeon 9700 PRO card on Ebay, but when I installed it, I
pushed a bit on the memory heatsink from the back of the card and it came
off. Judging by the place it was, it was used to cool off 4 memory chips..

What's the impact of this? I don't wanna wait weeks for a RMA..

Thanks for the info!

Re-attach the memory heatsink with some thermal adhesive.

That'll do it.

"Ai.Learning" <N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote in message

> I bought a new Ati Radeon 9700 PRO card on Ebay, but when I installed it,
> pushed a bit on the memory heatsink from the back of the card and it came
> off. Judging by the place it was, it was used to cool off 4 memory
chips..

> What's the impact of this? I don't wanna wait weeks for a RMA..
>
> Thanks for the info!

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:36:03 GMT, "Ai.Learning"
<N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote:

>I bought a new Ati Radeon 9700 PRO card on Ebay, but when I installed it, I
>pushed a bit on the memory heatsink from the back of the card and it came
>off. Judging by the place it was, it was used to cool off 4 memory chips..
>
>What's the impact of this? I don't wanna wait weeks for a RMA..
>
>Thanks for the info!

Don't sweat it. Stock 9700pro's didn't even use ram heatsinks and
shouldn't be needed at all unless overclocking the ram.

As long as you haven't pulled the chip off the board you will be fine.

As Tony said, re-attach with thermal adhesive.

Warty

"Warty" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> As long as you haven't pulled the chip off the board you will be fine.
>
> As Tony said, re-attach with thermal adhesive.
>

> Warty

As far as I know the "ATI" Radeon 9700 pros did not come
with memory heatsinks, I know mine didn't. So what you got
from "Ebay" was probably not previously owned by a "Little
Old Lady" who only used it to play solitaire on Sunday afternoons.

Luck;
Ken

> As far as I know the "ATI" Radeon 9700 pros did not come
> with memory heatsinks, I know mine didn't. So what you got
> from "Ebay" was probably not previously owned by a "Little
> Old Lady" who only used it to play solitaire on Sunday afternoons.

Well, the card was brand new... That's weird you didnt have any heat sink..
Maybe ATI added this l8r after some over heating complains.. or something
like that.

I also have a 9700....did NOT come with ram sinks either.
Jeff

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:03:16 GMT, "Ai.Learning"
<N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote:

>> As far as I know the "ATI" Radeon 9700 pros did not come
>> with memory heatsinks, I know mine didn't. So what you got
>> from "Ebay" was probably not previously owned by a "Little
>> Old Lady" who only used it to play solitaire on Sunday afternoons.
>
>Well, the card was brand new... That's weird you didnt have any heat sink..
>Maybe ATI added this l8r after some over heating complains.. or something
>like that.

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My ATI 9700 pro didn't come with them

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:40:04 -0700, Heywood <> wrote:

>I also have a 9700....did NOT come with ram sinks either.
>Jeff
>
>On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:03:16 GMT, "Ai.Learning"
><N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote:
>

>>> As far as I know the "ATI" Radeon 9700 pros did not come
>>> with memory heatsinks, I know mine didn't. So what you got
>>> from "Ebay" was probably not previously owned by a "Little
>>> Old Lady" who only used it to play solitaire on Sunday afternoons.
>>
>>Well, the card was brand new... That's weird you didnt have any heat sink..
>>Maybe ATI added this l8r after some over heating complains.. or something
>>like that.

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

Heywood wrote:
> I also have a 9700....did NOT come with ram sinks either.
> Jeff
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:03:16 GMT, "Ai.Learning"
> <N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote:
>

>>> As far as I know the "ATI" Radeon 9700 pros did not come
>>>with memory heatsinks, I know mine didn't. So what you got
>>>from "Ebay" was probably not previously owned by a "Little
>>>Old Lady" who only used it to play solitaire on Sunday afternoons.
>>
>>Well, the card was brand new... That's weird you didnt have any heat sink..
>>Maybe ATI added this l8r after some over heating complains.. or something
>>like that.

Yeah I also got a Radeon 9700 PRO(BB ATI) and I bought it about 6-7
months ago.It didn't come with heatsinks for RAM just the regular ATI
heatsink/fan for the GPU.The only 9700 PRO's I know of that come with
heatsinks are those of the Sapphire UE series.

My 9800 pro didn't come with them.

JK

"Bandit" <bandit@bandit.com> wrote in message
> My ATI 9700 pro didn't come with them
>
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:40:04 -0700, Heywood <> wrote:
>
>>I also have a 9700....did NOT come with ram sinks either.
>>Jeff

>>>Well, the card was brand new... That's weird you didnt have any heat
>>>sink..
>>>Maybe ATI added this l8r after some over heating complains.. or something
>>>like that.

My S3 ViRGE (3D decelerator) came with them.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

"John Hall" <johnhall11@rogers.com> wrote in message
> My 9800 pro didn't come with them.
>
> JK
>
> "Bandit" <bandit@bandit.com> wrote in message
> > My ATI 9700 pro didn't come with them
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:40:04 -0700, Heywood <> wrote:
> >
> >>I also have a 9700....did NOT come with ram sinks either.
> >>Jeff

> Yeah I also got a Radeon 9700 PRO(BB ATI) and I bought it about 6-7 months
> ago.It didn't come with heatsinks for RAM just the regular ATI
> heatsink/fan for the GPU.The only 9700 PRO's I know of that come with
> heatsinks are those of the Sapphire UE series.

Well, it's not really a heat sink, but a heat conductor plate, like 3mm
thick, on the back of my card. And it's a real ATI card, not a Sapphire.. I
really shocked that none of you guys, dont have this.. I can't understand
what's going on here..

I'll do some more research, and keep you informed.. Thanks for the info!

"Ai.Learning" <N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> a écrit dans le
message de news: kaE3d.135245$Np3.5631556@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>> Yeah I also got a Radeon 9700 PRO(BB ATI) and I bought it about 6-7
>> months ago.It didn't come with heatsinks for RAM just the regular ATI
>> heatsink/fan for the GPU.The only 9700 PRO's I know of that come with
>> heatsinks are those of the Sapphire UE series.
>
> Well, it's not really a heat sink, but a heat conductor plate, like 3mm
> thick, on the back of my card. And it's a real ATI card, not a Sapphire..
> I really shocked that none of you guys, dont have this.. I can't
> understand what's going on here..
>
> I'll do some more research, and keep you informed.. Thanks for the info!

Here's the picture I told you about.. That's the metal plate..
http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/ati_radeon9700-128mb/card_back.jpg

> "Ai.Learning" <N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> a écrit dans le
> message de news: kaE3d.135245$Np3.5631556@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>> Yeah I also got a Radeon 9700 PRO(BB ATI) and I bought it about 6-7
>>> months ago.It didn't come with heatsinks for RAM just the regular ATI
>>> heatsink/fan for the GPU.The only 9700 PRO's I know of that come with
>>> heatsinks are those of the Sapphire UE series.
>>
>> Well, it's not really a heat sink, but a heat conductor plate, like 3mm
>> thick, on the back of my card. And it's a real ATI card, not a
>> Sapphire.. I really shocked that none of you guys, dont have this.. I
>> can't understand what's going on here..
>>
>> I'll do some more research, and keep you informed.. Thanks for the info!
>
> Here's the picture I told you about.. That's the metal plate..
> http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/ati_radeon9700-128mb/card_back.jpg

Ah.. its not anywhere near the memory though
(they are the four large black IC's on the back).

What you are looking at is the heat spreader for
the voltage regulator transistor. it wraps around the
edge of the board to provide more surface area.

And yes... I believe all 9700 series cards have one.

Mudfish(Co30)
www.co30.com
Careful with that axe, Eugene!

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:19:34 GMT, "Ai.Learning"
<N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> wrote:

>"Ai.Learning" <N0__SP3Mtremor_christ@hotmail.comN0___SP3M> a écrit dans le
>message de news: kaE3d.135245$Np3.5631556@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>> Yeah I also got a Radeon 9700 PRO(BB ATI) and I bought it about 6-7
>>> months ago.It didn't come with heatsinks for RAM just the regular ATI
>>> heatsink/fan for the GPU.The only 9700 PRO's I know of that come with
>>> heatsinks are those of the Sapphire UE series.
>>
>> Well, it's not really a heat sink, but a heat conductor plate, like 3mm
>> thick, on the back of my card. And it's a real ATI card, not a Sapphire..
>> I really shocked that none of you guys, dont have this.. I can't
>> understand what's going on here..
>>
>> I'll do some more research, and keep you informed.. Thanks for the info!
>
>Here's the picture I told you about.. That's the metal plate..
>http://www.explosivelabs.com/reviews/ati_radeon9700-128mb/card_back.jpg

Oh ok mine has that on it