Why is Windows XP User Profile's settings is so big?

Hello,

In WinXP, when i go to System Properties, Advanced Tab, User Profile
Settings to view the user profile, it's huge..... 1.93GB. This was clean
installatin done year and half ago and was wondering if it's normal to have
such a huge profile and whether it effecs system performance, and how to
reduce if so.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about windows user profile settings

    It means that all the files in his user's folder total 1.93GB. Check his
    Internet Explorer offline files, they can often add up to quite a lot of
    space, and no, it's not detremential to system performance.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Bing" <Bing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > In WinXP, when i go to System Properties, Advanced Tab, User Profile
    > Settings to view the user profile, it's huge..... 1.93GB. This was clean
    > installatin done year and half ago and was wondering if it's normal to
    > have
    > such a huge profile and whether it effecs system performance, and how to
    > reduce if so.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    You also have to remember in the User Profile folder, has all the emails,
    Desktop items, My Documents, etc. One of my user`s profile folder is 4.8
    gigs. He has folders on his desktop with files in it, folders in the My
    documents with lots of files as well. Then his D drive has like 7.4 gigs of
    data on it. We got him a DVD +/- drive for him to do his own back up. It
    would take too long to back up his profile and data to the server.

    Jeff

    "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    > It means that all the files in his user's folder total 1.93GB. Check his
    > Internet Explorer offline files, they can often add up to quite a lot of
    > space, and no, it's not detremential to system performance.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC
    >
    > "Bing" <Bing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> In WinXP, when i go to System Properties, Advanced Tab, User Profile
    >> Settings to view the user profile, it's huge..... 1.93GB. This was clean
    >> installatin done year and half ago and was wondering if it's normal to
    >> have
    >> such a huge profile and whether it effecs system performance, and how to
    >> reduce if so.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Hi Matt, Jeff

    Thanks for responding! Glad to know that it's normal.. it just seemed to be
    getting bigger and bigger.

    Thanks for clafiying that up.

    Cheers,
    Bing

    "jeffrey" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > You also have to remember in the User Profile folder, has all the emails,
    > Desktop items, My Documents, etc. One of my user`s profile folder is 4.8
    > gigs. He has folders on his desktop with files in it, folders in the My
    > documents with lots of files as well. Then his D drive has like 7.4 gigs of
    > data on it. We got him a DVD +/- drive for him to do his own back up. It
    > would take too long to back up his profile and data to the server.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    > > It means that all the files in his user's folder total 1.93GB. Check his
    > > Internet Explorer offline files, they can often add up to quite a lot of
    > > space, and no, it's not detremential to system performance.
    > >
    > > Matt Gibson - GSEC
    > >
    > > "Bing" <Bing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> In WinXP, when i go to System Properties, Advanced Tab, User Profile
    > >> Settings to view the user profile, it's huge..... 1.93GB. This was clean
    > >> installatin done year and half ago and was wondering if it's normal to
    > >> have
    > >> such a huge profile and whether it effecs system performance, and how to
    > >> reduce if so.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

Security Microsoft Windows XP