Monitor making buzzing sound

I just upgraded from an Integrated Intel video card to an ATI Radeon 9200se
(AGP) on my HP, and among other problems such as flashing back and forth to
a black screen on startup and running dxdiag, my monitor has been making
this really annoying high-pitched buzzing sound whenever the graphics change
on the screen. ie: when I use the scrollbar, when I minimize/maximize a
window, even when I view a simple animated image, I will hear this buzzing
sound. I upgraded in order to play The Sims 2, but whenever I play it the
buzzing sound goes CRAZY and I can barely play the game it's so annoying.
The noise is coming from the monitor itself, not the speakers, because I
hear it no matter where the volume is at. I disabled the video card for a
bit to try installing new drivers (the drivers are listed as Radeon 9250
now, I don't know if that's a problem or not since this is a 9200se), and
when I wasn't using the Radeon, I didn't hear the noise, so I know this has
something to do with the new video card. My refresh rate is set at 60 hertz.
Does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix this? Is it possible my
monitor (HP Pavilion mx70) can't handle the video card?

And if this can't be fixed, I'll have to go back to my old card, because the
noise and the flashing black screens are just too irritating. Does anyone
know exactly how to do that? Would I just plug the monitor back into the
integrated card, and then Windows will reinstall the drivers for it itself?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. - Running an HP Pavilion 753n, 2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4, 512mb RAM,
previous video card was an Integrated Intel i830 graphics card.
12 answers Last reply
More about monitor making buzzing sound

    bns_13@hotmail.com (BNS) wrote in

    > And if this can't be fixed, I'll have to go back to my old card,
    > because the noise and the flashing black screens are just too
    > irritating. Does anyone know exactly how to do that? Would I just plug
    > the monitor back into the integrated card, and then Windows will
    > reinstall the drivers for it itself?

    Did you disable the on-board Video in the BIOS by chance?

    I disabled the onboard video through Device Manager before I installed
    the new card. I went into the BIOS to see if I could disable it there
    as well, and what I saw was "Primary Video Adapter: PCI", and the only
    other choice to change it to was "AGP/onboard", which didn't make
    sense to me because I thought I was trying to go FROM onboard TO AGP,
    so I didn't change it.

    I made the buzzing stop for a while, but I have no idea how, and it
    came back. What I did was go to the ATI Control Panel and everywhere I
    saw a setting for the refresh rate (which was about 4 places), I set
    it to 60 hertz. Then I restarted. The screen looked a little squished,
    so I fixed that with the monitor settings, and everything looked fine
    and there was no buzzing. When I checked in Device Manager and
    Display, it listed it as using the "Default Monitor", and there were
    two entries for "Default Monitor", plus my HP mx70. It used to just
    list the HP mx70. I wasn't sure why it was listing those, so I
    restarted to see if they would permanently be there, and when I
    checked again, "Default Monitor" was gone and it was back to listing
    just the HP mx70, and the buzzing was back. So does this mean the
    monitor is the problem? Right now I'm on my computer's generic video
    driver, and there is no buzzing. Is it possible the new card is too
    much for the monitor to handle? I hear the buzzing a little, tiny,
    unnoticable ammount with the integrated card, but it just goes insane
    with the ATI Radeon card.

    The only other monitor I have to test my computer with is a Compaq
    monitor that's about as old as my current HP monitor, but it was only
    ever used for about 3-4 months. Would I just plug that in, and it
    would be able to work, or are there drivers I would need to download
    for it first? I just don't wanna plug it in and end up with a blank
    screen.

    Thanks for the help.

    The fact that your monitor does not do this at all with the integrated Intel
    unit indicates it's not a monitor issue. A 9200SE is not what I would call
    an "upgrade" for playing games. It's the lowest performing ATI card
    currently in the lineup, not much above your integrated graphics in terms
    of performance.

    "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in

    > The fact that your monitor does not do this at all with the integrated
    > Intel unit indicates it's not a monitor issue. A 9200SE is not what I
    > would call an "upgrade" for playing games. It's the lowest performing
    > ATI card currently in the lineup, not much above your integrated
    > graphics in terms of performance.

    even the lowly 9200SE is still miles above an integrated graphics card...

    bns_13@hotmail.com (BNS) wrote in news:d8d4fc91.0409171146.d8879e2
    @posting.google.com:

    > Is it possible the new card is too
    > much for the monitor to handle?

    a better question would be 'are you sure you have an adequate enough power
    supply for the video card'.... that could be a factor.

    bns_13@hotmail.com (BNS) wrote in news:d8d4fc91.0409171146.d8879e2
    @posting.google.com:

    > Thanks for the help.

    also, if you have another computer laying around anywhere, you can see if
    it makes the buzzing sound in a different setup. the card might be bad
    too, thats a possibility.

    On 17 Sep 2004 00:04:03 -0700, bns_13@hotmail.com (BNS) wrote:

    >I just upgraded from an Integrated Intel video card to an ATI Radeon 9200se
    >(AGP) on my HP, and among other problems such as flashing back and forth to
    >a black screen on startup and running dxdiag, my monitor has been making
    >this really annoying high-pitched buzzing sound whenever the graphics change
    >on the screen. ie: when I use the scrollbar, when I minimize/maximize a
    >window, even when I view a simple animated image, I will hear this buzzing
    >sound. I upgraded in order to play The Sims 2, but whenever I play it the
    >buzzing sound goes CRAZY and I can barely play the game it's so annoying.
    >The noise is coming from the monitor itself, not the speakers, because I
    >hear it no matter where the volume is at. I disabled the video card for a
    >bit to try installing new drivers (the drivers are listed as Radeon 9250
    >now, I don't know if that's a problem or not since this is a 9200se), and
    >when I wasn't using the Radeon, I didn't hear the noise, so I know this has
    >something to do with the new video card. My refresh rate is set at 60 hertz.
    >Does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix this? Is it possible my
    >monitor (HP Pavilion mx70) can't handle the video card?
    >
    >And if this can't be fixed, I'll have to go back to my old card, because the
    >noise and the flashing black screens are just too irritating. Does anyone
    >know exactly how to do that? Would I just plug the monitor back into the
    >integrated card, and then Windows will reinstall the drivers for it itself?
    >
    >Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    >P.S. - Running an HP Pavilion 753n, 2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4, 512mb RAM,
    >previous video card was an Integrated Intel i830 graphics card.

    Trying uping your refresh rate i.e. 60hz to 75hz

    Wad

    Same problem i have at the moment, prob the power Supply going to get
    my monitor replaced and or fixed still under waranty 1000 buck monitor
    i bought :(

    I run my monitor at 1600by1200 100htz or 85htz all the time, i did a
    total reinstall not to fix it other stuff made NO difference.

    Can you make it stop buy doing somthing ?

    If so do it.

    Try your old card it thats ok then its not your monitor atleast.

    On 17 Sep 2004 00:04:03 -0700, bns_13@hotmail.com (BNS) wrote:

    >I just upgraded from an Integrated Intel video card to an ATI Radeon 9200se
    >(AGP) on my HP, and among other problems such as flashing back and forth to
    >a black screen on startup and running dxdiag, my monitor has been making
    >this really annoying high-pitched buzzing sound whenever the graphics change
    >on the screen. ie: when I use the scrollbar, when I minimize/maximize a
    >window, even when I view a simple animated image, I will hear this buzzing
    >sound. I upgraded in order to play The Sims 2, but whenever I play it the
    >buzzing sound goes CRAZY and I can barely play the game it's so annoying.
    >The noise is coming from the monitor itself, not the speakers, because I
    >hear it no matter where the volume is at. I disabled the video card for a
    >bit to try installing new drivers (the drivers are listed as Radeon 9250
    >now, I don't know if that's a problem or not since this is a 9200se), and
    >when I wasn't using the Radeon, I didn't hear the noise, so I know this has
    >something to do with the new video card. My refresh rate is set at 60 hertz.
    >Does anyone have any idea what I could do to fix this? Is it possible my
    >monitor (HP Pavilion mx70) can't handle the video card?
    >
    >And if this can't be fixed, I'll have to go back to my old card, because the
    >noise and the flashing black screens are just too irritating. Does anyone
    >know exactly how to do that? Would I just plug the monitor back into the
    >integrated card, and then Windows will reinstall the drivers for it itself?
    >
    >Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    >P.S. - Running an HP Pavilion 753n, 2.53ghz Intel Pentium 4, 512mb RAM,
    >previous video card was an Integrated Intel i830 graphics card.

    More likely a ringing transformer. This is a common problem with CRTs.
    They all buzz/whine to some degree. When it gets loud then we notice it. I
    once had a TV that was bad that way. I covered the guilty transformer with
    rubber sealant to muffle it.

    Switching to another refresh rate might help.
    DaveL

    "Good Man" <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote in message
    > bns_13@hotmail.com (BNS) wrote in news:d8d4fc91.0409171146.d8879e2
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    > > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > also, if you have another computer laying around anywhere, you can see if
    > it makes the buzzing sound in a different setup. the card might be bad
    > too, thats a possibility.
  10. I have the same problem with my DELL laptop ATI mobility on board graphic card. Have tried two different displays the first was a Fujutsi-Siemens, it was treble buzzy sound coming from it. The only way to get rid of the noise var to set brightness to 100% and off cause that was not the best setting for image quality. You could compensate with contrast but it will still be bad. My second display was a Packard Bell Viesto 200W. It was a bit noise coming from it as well but not near the sound from the Fujutsi-Siemens. I experimented with some different settings and now the buzzy sound is almost gone. I just turn down brightness to 29% it still gives a good image quality.
  11. Try changing the refresh frequency of the monitor to the recommended specs. For example my crt recommended specs

    are 85hz, but when it is 75 hz i hear a constant buzzing sound. check it out.
  12. maybe I should mentioned that my monitors are lcd not crt. The only refresh frequency option I have is 60 hz.

    Regards Ola

Radeon Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics