SP2 drove me to open source

Thanks to Microsoft's WindowsXP SP2, I have finally made the move to open
source applications. I've wanted to make the move for some time but some
laziness on my part has delayed me. Thanks, Billy, for pushing out the SP2
and specifically the security center because that horrid piece of programming
(I call SP2 the new WinME) finally made me so angry and frustrated with you
and your company that I built up a Linux box at home and will soon be
migrating all of my personal equipment over to the Penguin. If I am browsing
and come across some content that will only work in your non-W3c standards
compliant browser, I refuse to view it. DId you notice that FireFox 1.0 was
downloaded over a million times the first DAY it was available? Hallelujiah!

I am the systems administrator at a television station and so am used to
dealing with new technology. I have never had as many problems with a single
piece of software (and let me tell you, video-editing, TV production, and
graphics software can be extremely touchy and hard to work with) as I have
with SP2. It has bolluxed up so many systems at my station, rendering some
applications totally unusable, that I have removed it from every machine I
have. I've talked to the administration and we are looking into moving away
from all MS products and following the growing trend of dismantling our
Windows infrastructure.

I truly hope that the recent trend in computing to move away from the
monopolistic domination of MS is but the first scratchings of the proverbial
writing on the wall that will soon say that MS is on its way out. Maybe it
won't come soon, certainly not soon enough for any thinking and rational IT
person, but I think it is coming and on that day I will rejoice.

Thanks, again, Billy. SP2 did it's job well enough for me.
20 answers Last reply
More about drove open source

    =?Utf-8?B?dmVsb3pvb20zMA==?=:
    Have you tried Novell Linux Desktop? Really sweet.
    www.novell.com/linux/index.php

    If SP-2 "bolluxed up so many systems at my station" what did they have in
    common?
    Since you have many computers, did you test SP-2 on a small sampling before
    installing?
    Was all the software and hardware compatible with SP-2 as verified by the
    manufacturer?

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:03:02 -0800, velozoom30 wrote:

    > I am the systems administrator at a television station and so am used to
    > dealing with new technology. I have never had as many problems with a single
    > piece of software (and let me tell you, video-editing, TV production, and
    > graphics software can be extremely touchy and hard to work with) as I have
    > with SP2. It has bolluxed up so many systems at my station, rendering some
    > applications totally unusable, that I have removed it from every machine I
    > have. I've talked to the administration and we are looking into moving away
    > from all MS products and following the growing trend of dismantling our
    > Windows infrastructure.

    If you really had any experience with Windows XP and any other computer
    technology, and you weren't just a troll, you would have had no problems
    with SP2. I've got almost 1000 installs of SP2 on many platforms and have
    only had two problems, and both were fixed by BIOS Updates from the PC's
    vendor.

    The reason to move to Linux has nothing to do with the stability of MS
    products - if you look, you'll seem I'm using RedHat Fedora Core 3 right
    now and have found that it's as reliable as Windows, but don't fall for
    the Hype, there are just as many problems with Linux as there are with
    Windows XP (including SP2).

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    > Because it's fun to play with trolls sometimes.

    I couldn't agree more.

    > If you were as seasoned as you claimed, you would have created QA systems,
    > images of the production systems, to test SP2 on. You might have also
    > checked with the application vendors to determine if their applications
    > were SP2 compatible.

    I never used the word "seasoned" nor did I imply it. What experience I
    have, I have. What I don't have, I don't. I think it's pretty immaterial
    to an internet chat board because anything I say is non-verifiable anyway.
    I've run in to too many liars and fakes on the WWW to even consider worrying
    about it anymore.

    As for testing, you are absolutely right. In hindsight, I absolutely should
    have run through a full series of tests and dry runs. Most of my vendors
    *assumed* (this I found out later) their products would work with SP2. I was
    busy and ran some simple tests and it all seemed to work. I mean, this is a
    MS service pack, right? We can install it and look at it later because there
    are usually so few problems with MS updates. Hey, we learn from our mistakes
    and that is what I am still in the process of doing.

    > I got news for you, even using OO and others, there are few open source
    > products that come close to those offered by MS, and I've run them all,
    > and I still find myself using MS based products most of the time. If there
    > was no need to run Office on Linux CrossOver would not have been created
    > (and it's a commercial application).

    I am aware of the limitations. My graphics people all run Macs anyway. My
    sales,newsroom, photogs, editors, producers, dept heads, etc all need basic
    systems that can be Windows, Mac, or open source and is all up to personal
    preference and availability. The only real "need" I have for Windows boxes
    are my video servers such as Chyron and a couple other proprietary systems
    that won't run on O-S stuff.

    > I run an IT company and have designed solutions on every platform, none is
    > better than any other, and there are always people taking shortcuts with
    > every platform. No one I know uses FP, and ASP/ASP.Net are still very nice
    > products. Sure, there are people on both sides that will "hate" one
    > platform, but serious developers don't have a problem working with any
    > platform, it's just a tool. You can easily develop non-proprietary sites
    > with MS Products and solutions, at least any quality developer can. We
    > have more than 120 web developers, about 10 are platform zealots, the rest
    > work without concern on any platform.

    BUT- to run .asp you need MS products. You can run AMP on anything,
    including a windows server. It's a personal philosophy that drives my
    zealotry on that one.

    All this said:

    And you moved on to linux... B.S.

    If you a "now" linux users how to you do some things such as check you
    systems name , memory, cpu, pci ports from the shell.

    > And you moved on to linux... B.S.

    Sorry, Bubba. I am at work and therefore posted from a WinXPPro box but I
    used FF1.0 as my browser. My Penguin is at home.

    > Is this a troll, too? If you don't like what I am saying, I am sure you
    > will say yes.

    of course not, its an anti-ms rant in a newsgroup that is off topic.

    velozoom30 wrote:
    || "Leythos" wrote:
    || Have you ever installed SP2 on a WinXP box
    || running Chyron Lyric software? If you want to see a program crash
    || faster than a tractor trailer driven by a chimpanzee just give it a
    || go.

    So did you find out from the vendor first whether it was compatible with SP2
    or did you just go blindly ahead anyway? If that's what you did then you'll
    have FUN with Linux!

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:10:55 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > velozoom30 wrote:
    > || "Leythos" wrote:
    > || Have you ever installed SP2 on a WinXP box
    > || running Chyron Lyric software? If you want to see a program crash
    > || faster than a tractor trailer driven by a chimpanzee just give it a
    > || go.
    >
    > So did you find out from the vendor first whether it was compatible with SP2
    > or did you just go blindly ahead anyway? If that's what you did then you'll
    > have FUN with Linux!

    I asked the same thing in a reply to him, but he's not answered yet :)

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > So did you find out from the vendor first whether it was compatible with SP2
    > or did you just go blindly ahead anyway? If that's what you did then you'll
    > have FUN with Linux!
    >
    > --

    Of course I did. they initially said it would be fine. The second tech I
    called after the debalce said no way. Yes, this was a breakdown on their end
    but this was just one app that Sp2 crashed. If it was just one, I would
    blame the graphics company for making a too-fragile product.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:
    ||| So did you find out from the vendor first whether it was compatible
    ||| with SP2 or did you just go blindly ahead anyway? If that's what
    ||| you did then you'll have FUN with Linux!
    || I asked the same thing in a reply to him, but he's not answered yet
    || :)

    Some systems admin! ;-)

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > "Dave" wrote:
    >

    > > > Is this a troll, too? If you don't like what I am saying, I am sure
    you
    > > > will say yes.
    > >
    > > of course not, its an anti-ms rant in a newsgroup that is off topic.
    >

    > Off topic? How is it off topic? Isn't the topic here to discuss security
    > and administration of Wiindows boxes? My job is to administer the
    computer

    no, its to discuss "security administration" not "security and
    administration", there are other general groups for misc xp problems. maybe
    you should try ..windowsxp.perform_maintain, or
    ...windowsxp.configuration_manage, or better yet, ..windowsxp.newuser.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hey dave, read the header of the page again. "Security and Administration"

    "Dave" wrote:

    > "velozoom30" <velozoom30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > you
    > > >
    > > > of course not, its an anti-ms rant in a newsgroup that is off topic.
    > >

    > > Off topic? How is it off topic? Isn't the topic here to discuss security
    > > and administration of Wiindows boxes? My job is to administer the
    > computer
    >
    > no, its to discuss "security administration" not "security and
    > administration", there are other general groups for misc xp problems. maybe
    > you should try ..windowsxp.perform_maintain, or
    > ...windowsxp.configuration_manage, or better yet, ..windowsxp.newuser.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    velozoom30 wrote:
    ||| So did you find out from the vendor first whether it was compatible
    ||| with SP2 or did you just go blindly ahead anyway? If that's what
    ||| you did then you'll have FUN with Linux!
    ||| --
    || Of course I did.

    And then being the cynic that you are you TESTED it for yourself before
    rolling out SP2?

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    velozoom30 wrote:
    || I mean, this is a MS service pack, right?

    Umm no. Not in the sense that previous service packs were. SP2 re-wrote HUGE
    chunks of XP code, some would say that it almost made XP into a new OS.....

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:31:06 -0800, velozoom30 wrote:

    > BUT- to run .asp you need MS products. You can run AMP on anything,
    > including a windows server. It's a personal philosophy that drives my
    > zealotry on that one.

    You could go the .Net route and use MONO on a Linux platform.

    There is nothing wrong with a MS based Web Server, I've been running
    hundreds of them across the US with public access and never had one
    compromised.

    One last thing, don't get into the Zealotry mode, it will diminish your
    ability to see/understand many things. Linux is no better than Windows,
    but each has a place and they overlap in many areas. Security is one area
    that Zealots rave about, but the default install on many Linux distros is
    as easy to compromise as a default installed Window (pre-sp2) box.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Mr. Smith wrote:

    > All this said:

    > And you moved on to linux... B.S.
    Hi

    The line "X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000" means that
    the OP is using Microsoft's Web interface to post to this newsgroup,
    so the OP can have very well used a Linux OS when posted here.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Penguin <-- what a good ol' chap he has been to me.
    MS is soon to drive me to open source.

    I want to run an IIS server with about 10-20 sites and I need a way to log
    things such as traffic and bandwidth usage. Now that being said. I know I
    can log using iis6 itself, but where is the reporting feature? Shouldn't
    this be built in? Why isn't it?

    Why must I look for 3rd party (pricy software such as) PLESK to do this for
    me.

    Oh sure. Some MCP would say "You could write one yourself". Thanks not an
    acceptable answer or solution for my problem.

    Perhaps Linux would be the next solution and open source reporting software
    that could be found and use for free.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Backup" <backup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Penguin <-- what a good ol' chap he has been to me.
    > MS is soon to drive me to open source.
    >
    > I want to run an IIS server with about 10-20 sites and I need a way to log
    > things such as traffic and bandwidth usage. Now that being said. I know I
    > can log using iis6 itself, but where is the reporting feature? Shouldn't
    > this be built in? Why isn't it?
    >
    > Why must I look for 3rd party (pricy software such as) PLESK to do this
    > for me.
    >

    > Oh sure. Some MCP would say "You could write one yourself". Thanks not an
    > acceptable answer or solution for my problem.
    >

    > Perhaps Linux would be the next solution and open source reporting
    > software that could be found and use for free.

    Why should software be free? Someone worked hard on it. If they choose to
    release it with a open source license then that is up to them. If they
    choose to sell it with a different license and get compensated for their
    time that is also up to them. What OS it runs under has nothing to do with
    it. Are you going to use this "free" software to generate revenue for
    yourself? Very selfish attitude.

    I use Linux and Windows in my business, whichever is best suited to what I
    am doing at the time. I use open source software and other software that has
    different licenses. If the software costs x dollars, that is part of the
    cost of doing business. I can then a) pay for the software and build that
    into my pricing b) come up with my own solution c) look for a less expensive
    alternative. If I don't have the knowledge or time to do it myself why is
    that Microsoft's or anyone else's fault.

    Kerry
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:26:39 -0500, Backup wrote:

    > Penguin <-- what a good ol' chap he has been to me. MS is soon to drive
    > me to open source.
    >
    > I want to run an IIS server with about 10-20 sites and I need a way to
    > log things such as traffic and bandwidth usage. Now that being said. I
    > know I can log using iis6 itself, but where is the reporting feature?
    > Shouldn't this be built in? Why isn't it?
    >
    > Why must I look for 3rd party (pricy software such as) PLESK to do this
    > for me.
    >
    > Oh sure. Some MCP would say "You could write one yourself". Thanks not
    > an acceptable answer or solution for my problem.
    >
    > Perhaps Linux would be the next solution and open source reporting
    > software that could be found and use for free.

    If you were to take a look, you can send the logs to a ODBC connection and
    then provide logging via queries - but you might have to know more about
    data and logs than you appear willing to learn. A simple couple minutes on
    google searches would have already told you this.

    I log all our sites to MSSQL and then have simple asp pages that do the
    reports.

    As for Linux, I can't wait to see you TRY and setup logging and reporting
    Apache, maybe you will understand why you need to know something about
    computers first.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me