tracking usage

My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She is
keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any outside
programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing. I
am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc. This
must be something else because it is tracking program usage.
8 answers Last reply
More about tracking usage

    Windows XP does not track program usage unless auditing is enabled
    by the administrator of a computer running Windows XP Professional.

    HOW TO: Audit User Access of Files, Folders, and Printers in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310399&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jack" wrote:

    | My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She is
    | keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any outside
    | programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
    | uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing. I
    | am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc. This
    | must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

    Can the computer pick up the modified files on the program if you do a
    general search? IE. search/filesfolders/modified/by date
    If so, if you turn off auditing, does that make the modified files not show
    up on a search?

    "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
    > is
    > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
    > outside
    > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
    > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
    > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
    > This
    > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

    Jack,

    At the possibility of sounding a little terse - have you considered having a
    conversation with your WIFE about all this?
    Maybe dialog is needed here and not a technological warfare of surveillance
    and counter surveillance.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
    > is
    > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
    > outside
    > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
    > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
    > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
    > This
    > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

    Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it. If you
    want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not interested in
    advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be nice if she was open,
    but the reality of my situation is not so simple.

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

    > "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
    > > is
    > > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
    > > outside
    > > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
    > > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
    > > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
    > > This
    > > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.
    >
    > Jack,
    >
    > At the possibility of sounding a little terse - have you considered having a
    > conversation with your WIFE about all this?
    > Maybe dialog is needed here and not a technological warfare of surveillance
    > and counter surveillance.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    > rights

    > newsgroups
    >
    > "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
    > > is
    > > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
    > > outside
    > > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
    > > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
    > > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
    > > This
    > > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

    Wow. If it was my wife, she would be my *ex* wife. ;-)

    Tom
    | Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it. If
    you
    | want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not interested
    in
    | advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be nice if she was
    open,
    | but the reality of my situation is not so simple.
    |
    | "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:
    |
    | > "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run.
    She
    | > > is
    | > > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
    | > > outside
    | > > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files
    XP
    | > > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am
    playing.
    | > > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
    | > > This
    | > > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.
    | >
    | > Jack,
    | >
    | > At the possibility of sounding a little terse - have you considered
    having a
    | > conversation with your WIFE about all this?
    | > Maybe dialog is needed here and not a technological warfare of
    surveillance
    | > and counter surveillance.
    | >
    | > --
    | >
    | > Regards,
    | >
    | > Mike
    | > --
    | > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    | > rights
    | >
    | > Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
    | > newsgroups
    | >
    | > "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run.
    She
    | > > is
    | > > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
    | > > outside
    | > > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files
    XP
    | > > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am
    playing.
    | > > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
    | > > This
    | > > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

    If my wife was to dare touch any one of my 8 systems at home i would break
    her hands.

    Jack wrote:
    || Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it.
    || If you want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not
    || interested in advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be
    || nice if she was open, but the reality of my situation is not so
    || simple.

    Then just put a BIOS password on the computer so she can't even switch it
    on.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it. If
    > you
    > want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not interested
    > in
    > advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be nice if she was
    > open,
    > but the reality of my situation is not so simple.

    Then in that case she is auditing file access to the folders or files she is
    interested in (probably).

    --

    Regards,

    Mike