Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
March 18, 2005 12:01:11 PM

My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She is
keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any outside
programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing. I
am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc. This
must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

More about : tracking usage

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:30:38 PM

Windows XP does not track program usage unless auditing is enabled
by the administrator of a computer running Windows XP Professional.

HOW TO: Audit User Access of Files, Folders, and Printers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310399&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jack" wrote:

| My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She is
| keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any outside
| programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
| uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing. I
| am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc. This
| must be something else because it is tracking program usage.
March 18, 2005 2:30:39 PM

Can the computer pick up the modified files on the program if you do a
general search? IE. search/filesfolders/modified/by date
If so, if you turn off auditing, does that make the modified files not show
up on a search?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP does not track program usage unless auditing is enabled
> by the administrator of a computer running Windows XP Professional.
>
> HOW TO: Audit User Access of Files, Folders, and Printers in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310399&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jack" wrote:
>
> | My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She is
> | keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any outside
> | programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
> | uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing. I
> | am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc. This
> | must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:18:37 PM

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
> is
> keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
> outside
> programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
> uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
> am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
> This
> must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

Jack,

At the possibility of sounding a little terse - have you considered having a
conversation with your WIFE about all this?
Maybe dialog is needed here and not a technological warfare of surveillance
and counter surveillance.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
> is
> keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
> outside
> programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
> uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
> am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
> This
> must be something else because it is tracking program usage.
March 18, 2005 10:18:38 PM

Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it. If you
want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not interested in
advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be nice if she was open,
but the reality of my situation is not so simple.

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:

> "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
> > is
> > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
> > outside
> > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
> > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
> > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
> > This
> > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.
>
> Jack,
>
> At the possibility of sounding a little terse - have you considered having a
> conversation with your WIFE about all this?
> Maybe dialog is needed here and not a technological warfare of surveillance
> and counter surveillance.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
> --
> Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

> rights

> newsgroups
>
> "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run. She
> > is
> > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
> > outside
> > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files XP
> > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am playing.
> > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
> > This
> > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:18:39 PM

Wow. If it was my wife, she would be my *ex* wife. ;-)

Tom
| Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it. If
you
| want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not interested
in
| advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be nice if she was
open,
| but the reality of my situation is not so simple.
|
| "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run.
She
| > > is
| > > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
| > > outside
| > > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files
XP
| > > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am
playing.
| > > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
| > > This
| > > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.
| >
| > Jack,
| >
| > At the possibility of sounding a little terse - have you considered
having a
| > conversation with your WIFE about all this?
| > Maybe dialog is needed here and not a technological warfare of
surveillance
| > and counter surveillance.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Mike
| > --
| > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

| > rights
| >
| > Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
| > newsgroups
| >
| > "Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > My wife is tracking the usage on our computer for the programs I run.
She
| > > is
| > > keeping tabs on how much time I play video games. I don't find any
| > > outside
| > > programs that are doing this. Does anyone know what programs or files
XP
| > > uses to find this out? She seems to know the days and times I am
playing.
| > > am familiar with most internet trackers and temp files, cookies, etc.
| > > This
| > > must be something else because it is tracking program usage.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:18:40 PM

If my wife was to dare touch any one of my 8 systems at home i would break
her hands.
March 18, 2005 11:15:30 PM

Jack wrote:
|| Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it.
|| If you want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not
|| interested in advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be
|| nice if she was open, but the reality of my situation is not so
|| simple.

Then just put a BIOS password on the computer so she can't even switch it
on.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:29:50 PM

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you met my wife? Tried it and she isn't open to discussing it. If
> you
> want we can talk about it in a counseling forum, but I am not interested
> in
> advice from an outside perspective. It sure would be nice if she was
> open,
> but the reality of my situation is not so simple.

Then in that case she is auditing file access to the folders or files she is
interested in (probably).

--

Regards,

Mike