Wireless Security

One thing I have been wondering about is whether or not my system is less
secure than it once was. I replaced my 4-port wired router (which connects
to 3 desktops and is hooked up to a cable modem) with a 4-port wireless
router. The new router still has RJ45 ports, and I am continuing to have my
desktops attached that way (with CAT 5 cable).

My question is: Can intruders access my system through the antennas of this
router when I don't have my wireless laptop turned on?

I realize that I should take protective measures for the laptop.

Thank you.
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless security

    If you hardware and software support it you can step up to WPA. That is
    even more secure then WEP. Here is an article on WPA that may help some.

    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/bowman/03july28.asp

    --
    Joshua
    [MSFT]

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    One thing I have been wondering about is whether or not my system is less
    secure than it once was. I replaced my 4-port wired router (which connects
    to 3 desktops and is hooked up to a cable modem) with a 4-port wireless
    router. The new router still has RJ45 ports, and I am continuing to have my
    desktops attached that way (with CAT 5 cable).

    My question is: Can intruders access my system through the antennas of this
    router when I don't have my wireless laptop turned on?

    I realize that I should take protective measures for the laptop.

    Thank you.

    You will need to setup a WEP key and change the admin password.

    --
    Kyle Lang [MSFT]
    This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > One thing I have been wondering about is whether or not my system is less
    > secure than it once was. I replaced my 4-port wired router (which connects
    > to 3 desktops and is hooked up to a cable modem) with a 4-port wireless
    > router. The new router still has RJ45 ports, and I am continuing to have
    my
    > desktops attached that way (with CAT 5 cable).
    >
    > My question is: Can intruders access my system through the antennas of
    this
    > router when I don't have my wireless laptop turned on?
    >
    > I realize that I should take protective measures for the laptop.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Thank you both, Kyle and Joshua. As you suggested, I'll set up the WEP key,
    and use WPA if possible.

    However, I am still wondering how susceptible my setup is (wireless router
    with wired ports) when I am only using my wired PCs, i.e., when no wireless
    computers are turned on. Is it possible in this situation for someone out in
    the street to access one of my desktop wired computers from their wireless
    laptop?

    Thanks again.

    Papa,

    If no wireless computers are going to be used, then set the wireless to be
    disabled.

    Doug
    > Thank you both, Kyle and Joshua. As you suggested, I'll set up the WEP
    > key,
    > and use WPA if possible.
    >
    > However, I am still wondering how susceptible my setup is (wireless router
    > with wired ports) when I am only using my wired PCs, i.e., when no
    > wireless
    > computers are turned on. Is it possible in this situation for someone out
    > in
    > the street to access one of my desktop wired computers from their wireless
    > laptop?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Thanks, Doug. Then will my wired PCs be protected by doing that, even though
    they are wired to a wireless-capable router?

    "Doug" <dkhandler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Papa,
    >
    > If no wireless computers are going to be used, then set the wireless to be
    > disabled.
    >
    > Doug
    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > Thank you both, Kyle and Joshua. As you suggested, I'll set up the WEP
    > > key,
    > > and use WPA if possible.
    > >
    > > However, I am still wondering how susceptible my setup is (wireless
    router
    > > with wired ports) when I am only using my wired PCs, i.e., when no
    > > wireless
    > > computers are turned on. Is it possible in this situation for someone
    out
    > > in
    > > the street to access one of my desktop wired computers from their
    wireless
    > > laptop?
    > >
    > > Thanks again.

    May be this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html[/L]

    Jack.

    > One thing I have been wondering about is whether or not my system is less
    > secure than it once was. I replaced my 4-port wired router (which connects
    > to 3 desktops and is hooked up to a cable modem) with a 4-port wireless
    > router. The new router still has RJ45 ports, and I am continuing to have
    my
    > desktops attached that way (with CAT 5 cable).
    >
    > My question is: Can intruders access my system through the antennas of
    this
    > router when I don't have my wireless laptop turned on?
    >
    > I realize that I should take protective measures for the laptop.
    >
    > Thank you.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Papa wrote:
    > Thanks, Doug. Then will my wired PCs be protected by doing that, even
    > though they are wired to a wireless-capable router?

    It does not matter if the router is wireless capable or not, if the wireless
    capability is turned off.

    If the wireless capability is turned on, then it needs to be secured on the
    router as well as on the desktops... A wireless router is always
    broadcasting and "listening", unless you switch the wireless features off,
    otherwise how else would it know to respond to wireless machines asking for
    a connection?

    Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP for servers & security
    Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html

    Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Thank you. Your response explains it.

    "Robert Moir" <bofh@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Papa wrote:
    > > Thanks, Doug. Then will my wired PCs be protected by doing that, even
    > > though they are wired to a wireless-capable router?
    >
    > It does not matter if the router is wireless capable or not, if the
    wireless
    > capability is turned off.
    >
    > If the wireless capability is turned on, then it needs to be secured on
    the
    > router as well as on the desktops... A wireless router is always
    > broadcasting and "listening", unless you switch the wireless features off,
    > otherwise how else would it know to respond to wireless machines asking
    for
    > a connection?

    > Rob Moir, Microsoft MVP for servers & security
    > Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    > Virtual PC 2004 FAQ -
    http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html

    > Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

Wireless Routers Wireless Networking