Password Necessity?

As the administrator as well as the only user of this PC, when booting I must
enter a password each time. Moreover,if I do not use the PC for about 15
minutes the screensaver appears and I must re-enter my password to gain
access to the system. My OS is XP-PRO with SP2. How can I eliminate the need
to enter a password each time I boot?
Thanks for any help on this problem.....CinciDave
9 answers Last reply
More about password necessity

    CinciDave wrote:

    > As the administrator as well as the only user of this PC, when booting
    > I must enter a password each time. Moreover,if I do not use the PC for
    > about 15 minutes the screensaver appears and I must re-enter my
    > password to gain access to the system. My OS is XP-PRO with SP2. How
    > can I eliminate the need to enter a password each time I boot?
    > Thanks for any help on this problem.....CinciDave

    1. User Accounts applet in Control Panel - change how users log on.
    2. From same place, remove password on account.
    3. Display applet in Control Panel - control the screensaver password
    there.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Malke" wrote:

    > CinciDave wrote:
    >
    > > As the administrator as well as the only user of this PC, when booting
    > > I must enter a password each time. Moreover,if I do not use the PC for
    > > about 15 minutes the screensaver appears and I must re-enter my
    > > password to gain access to the system. My OS is XP-PRO with SP2. How
    > > can I eliminate the need to enter a password each time I boot?
    > > Thanks for any help on this problem.....CinciDave
    >
    > 1. User Accounts applet in Control Panel - change how users log on.
    > 2. From same place, remove password on account.
    > 3. Display applet in Control Panel - control the screensaver password
    > there.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
    > The world is diminished without him.
    I brought up the User Accounts in Control Panel and discovered an account
    that I do not recognize:
    .ASP.NET Machine A... Limited account
    I have no idea how/where this came from and don't know whether or not to
    remove it. The only other accounts are my personal account as administrator
    (password protected) and a guest account which is off.

    What should I do at this point?.....CinciDave

    CinciDave wrote:
    > I brought up the User Accounts in Control Panel and discovered an
    > account that I do not recognize:
    > .ASP.NET Machine A... Limited account
    > I have no idea how/where this came from and don't know whether or not
    > to remove it. The only other accounts are my personal account as
    > administrator (password protected) and a guest account which is off.
    >
    > What should I do at this point?.....CinciDave

    Nothing to worry about:
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/essentialaspnet.mspx

    Malke
    --

    "Malke" wrote:

    > CinciDave wrote:
    > > I brought up the User Accounts in Control Panel and discovered an
    > > account that I do not recognize:
    > > .ASP.NET Machine A... Limited account
    > > I have no idea how/where this came from and don't know whether or not
    > > to remove it. The only other accounts are my personal account as
    > > administrator (password protected) and a guest account which is off.
    > >
    > > What should I do at this point?.....CinciDave
    >
    > Nothing to worry about:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/essentialaspnet.mspx
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
    > The world is diminished without him.
    Well, it seems enocuous enough, but how did it become a log-on feature on my
    system, and can I remove it, as I see no value in it for me? Perhaps I'm
    missing something here?

    "CinciDave" wrote:

    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    > > CinciDave wrote:
    > > > I brought up the User Accounts in Control Panel and discovered an
    > > > account that I do not recognize:
    > > > .ASP.NET Machine A... Limited account
    > > > I have no idea how/where this came from and don't know whether or not
    > > > to remove it. The only other accounts are my personal account as
    > > > administrator (password protected) and a guest account which is off.
    > > >
    > > > What should I do at this point?.....CinciDave
    > >
    > > Nothing to worry about:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/events/series/essentialaspnet.mspx
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > > In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
    > > The world is diminished without him.
    Well, it seems "Innocuous" enough, but how did it become a log-on feature
    on my system, and can I remove it, as I see no value in it for me? Perhaps
    I'm
    missing something here?

    You can try changing the password to blank, that is no characters at all.

    As for the screen saver time-out, that can be set via right-click on the
    desktop (any unused area), display properties, screen saver, then UNcheck
    the box "on resume display welcome screen".

    Suggestion, before changing things, you might want to create a second user
    account, also with full administrative rights, and with a simple password,
    just in case something goes wrong with your primary identity.

    CinciDave wrote:
    || As the administrator as well as the only user of this PC,

    Do you mean that you are using the built-in administrator account as your
    log-in? If so you would be WELL advised not to. If the administrator profile
    gets corrupted, then your ONLY way into the machine is through a repair
    install of XP. Create another account, give that one admin rights, and use
    that on a day-to-day basis.

    ||when booting I must enter a password each time.

    Do you REALLY mean "booting" (ie before windows starts at all, in which case
    it's a BIOS password and nothing to do with Windows) or do you mean "during
    the Windows start up process"?

    || Moreover,if I do not use
    || the PC for about 15 minutes the screensaver appears and I must
    || re-enter my password to gain access to the system. My OS is XP-PRO
    || with SP2. How can I eliminate the need to enter a password each time
    || I boot?

    See above on the definitition of "boot"

    || Thanks for any help on this problem.....CinciDave

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    CinciDave wrote:
    || Well, it seems "Innocuous" enough, but how did it become a log-on
    || feature on my system, and can I remove it, as I see no value in it
    || for me? Perhaps I'm
    || missing something here?

    It was installed during a Windows Update run.
    One of the downsides of automatically downloading and installing Updates
    with no notifications on.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > || Well, it seems "Innocuous" enough, but how did it become a log-on
    > || feature on my system, and can I remove it, as I see no value in it
    > || for me? Perhaps I'm
    > || missing something here?
    >
    > It was installed during a Windows Update run.
    > One of the downsides of automatically downloading and installing Updates
    > with no notifications on.
    >
    > --
    > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker
    > Director
    > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    THANKS ALL..................CinciDave (GO BEARCATS!!!)

Windows XP