Local machine HTML files the information bar and the MOTW

I have some HTML files that rely on Javascript for navigation that I would
like to run on a local machine drive.

As you can imagine the information bar pops up unless I click the "Allow
active content to run files on My Computer". Since this is a not recommended
option, I try using the Mark of The Web (MOTW) option, that consists in
adding <!-- saved from url=(00xx)http://www.xxx.com --> to your HTML files.

The problem now is that when you load a page with this comment it loads OK,
but all links to other pages do not work at all.

Is the "Allow active content to run files on My Computer" the only solution?

Hi Alvira,

>> but all links to other pages do not work at all.

Two questions:

1. Where are the links pointing to (perhaps to a file/folder in your hard
disk?)
2. What happens when you remove the MOTW, and enable "Allow active content
to run files on My Computer"

Also note that, there are certain criteria concerning the MOTW code
placement. See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"alvira" <alvira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have some HTML files that rely on Javascript for navigation that I would
> like to run on a local machine drive.
>
> As you can imagine the information bar pops up unless I click the "Allow
> active content to run files on My Computer". Since this is a not
> recommended
> option, I try using the Mark of The Web (MOTW) option, that consists in
> adding <!-- saved from url=(00xx)http://www.xxx.com --> to your HTML
> files.
>
> The problem now is that when you load a page with this comment it loads
> OK,
> but all links to other pages do not work at all.
>
> Is the "Allow active content to run files on My Computer" the only
> solution?

The links to local files are the one that do not work, even if the other
files have the MOTW. If I remove the MOTW, and enable "Allow active content
to run files on My Computer" everything works OK.

Thanks for your quick response.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Alvira,
>
> >> but all links to other pages do not work at all.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Where are the links pointing to (perhaps to a file/folder in your hard
> disk?)
> 2. What happens when you remove the MOTW, and enable "Allow active content
> to run files on My Computer"
>
> Also note that, there are certain criteria concerning the MOTW code
> placement. See:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "alvira" <alvira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have some HTML files that rely on Javascript for navigation that I would
> > like to run on a local machine drive.
> >
> > As you can imagine the information bar pops up unless I click the "Allow
> > active content to run files on My Computer". Since this is a not
> > recommended
> > option, I try using the Mark of The Web (MOTW) option, that consists in
> > adding <!-- saved from url=(00xx)http://www.xxx.com --> to your HTML
> > files.
> >
> > The problem now is that when you load a page with this comment it loads
> > OK,
> > but all links to other pages do not work at all.
> >
> > Is the "Allow active content to run files on My Computer" the only
> > solution?

>> The links to local files are the one that do not work

Then I guess it may be the problem with MOTW code segment, or it's
placement. Read the MSDN document I provided earlier. Keep us posted!

--

> The links to local files are the one that do not work, even if the other
> files have the MOTW. If I remove the MOTW, and enable "Allow active
> content
> to run files on My Computer" everything works OK.
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Hi Alvira,

>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1. Where are the links pointing to (perhaps to a file/folder in your hard
>> disk?)
>> 2. What happens when you remove the MOTW, and enable "Allow active
>> content
>> to run files on My Computer"
>>
>> Also note that, there are certain criteria concerning the MOTW code
>> placement. See:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "alvira" <alvira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have some HTML files that rely on Javascript for navigation that I
>> >would
>> > like to run on a local machine drive.
>> >
>> > As you can imagine the information bar pops up unless I click the
>> > "Allow
>> > active content to run files on My Computer". Since this is a not
>> > recommended
>> > option, I try using the Mark of The Web (MOTW) option, that consists in
>> > adding <!-- saved from url=(00xx)http://www.xxx.com --> to your HTML
>> > files.
>> >
>> > The problem now is that when you load a page with this comment it loads
>> > OK,
>> > but all links to other pages do not work at all.
>> >
>> > Is the "Allow active content to run files on My Computer" the only
>> > solution?

Ramesh,

I copied the MOTW saved by IE and it now works. Of course, I have to add
MOTW to every single page.

Thanks

alvira

I have tried copying the same lines.
"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> >> The links to local files are the one that do not work
>
> Then I guess it may be the problem with MOTW code segment, or it's
> placement. Read the MSDN document I provided earlier. Keep us posted!
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "alvira" <alvira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The links to local files are the one that do not work, even if the other
> > files have the MOTW. If I remove the MOTW, and enable "Allow active
> > content
> > to run files on My Computer" everything works OK.
> >
> > Thanks for your quick response.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Alvira,

> >> Two questions:
> >>
> >> 1. Where are the links pointing to (perhaps to a file/folder in your hard
> >> disk?)
> >> 2. What happens when you remove the MOTW, and enable "Allow active
> >> content
> >> to run files on My Computer"
> >>
> >> Also note that, there are certain criteria concerning the MOTW code
> >> placement. See:
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "alvira" <alvira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the feedback Alvira. Glad it's working now.