PB910 onboard video

cork

I've probably asked this before, but never did anything about it. I finally
came across an nvidia GeForce MX4000 128MB pci video card that I am trying
to get to work in a PB 910. First problem is how do I disable on board
video. Disabling it in system properties isn't doing anything. Does disable
it, but then just VGA graphics. Don't see anything in particular in BIOS
under integrated peripheals allowing me to change it. Get a cannot start
code 10 error when looking at the nvideo properties. This old box has XP Pro
on also. (Believe it or not!!) I've done quit a bit of searching for various
things, but nothing seems to be working. Finding PB specific advice is kind
of tricky. The one website, which we all know,
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/9725/, was down a few minutes
ago for excessive bandwidth!! Back up right now. Will cruise that. Any help
is really appreciated.

cork

I guess I should've said is this possible to begin with? LOL

"Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> I've probably asked this before, but never did anything about it. I
> finally came across an nvidia GeForce MX4000 128MB pci video card that I
> am trying to get to work in a PB 910. First problem is how do I disable on
> board video. Disabling it in system properties isn't doing anything. Does
> disable it, but then just VGA graphics. Don't see anything in particular
> in BIOS under integrated peripheals allowing me to change it. Get a cannot
> start code 10 error when looking at the nvideo properties. This old box
> has XP Pro on also. (Believe it or not!!) I've done quit a bit of
> searching for various things, but nothing seems to be working. Finding PB
> specific advice is kind of tricky. The one website, which we all know,
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/9725/, was down a few minutes
> ago for excessive bandwidth!! Back up right now. Will cruise that. Any
> help is really appreciated.

cork

Nobody has anything? C'mon Ben or Elector. Thought you guys would have
something. LOL

>I guess I should've said is this possible to begin with? LOL
>
> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>> I've probably asked this before, but never did anything about it. I
>> finally came across an nvidia GeForce MX4000 128MB pci video card that I
>> am trying to get to work in a PB 910. First problem is how do I disable
>> on board video. Disabling it in system properties isn't doing anything.
>> Does disable it, but then just VGA graphics. Don't see anything in
>> particular in BIOS under integrated peripheals allowing me to change it.
>> Get a cannot start code 10 error when looking at the nvideo properties.
>> This old box has XP Pro on also. (Believe it or not!!) I've done quit a
>> bit of searching for various things, but nothing seems to be working.
>> Finding PB specific advice is kind of tricky. The one website, which we
>> all know, http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/9725/, was down a
>> few minutes ago for excessive bandwidth!! Back up right now. Will cruise
>> that. Any help is really appreciated.

Let me know the resources each device is using
The one that is disabled also

> Nobody has anything? C'mon Ben or Elector. Thought you guys would have
> something. LOL
>
> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>>I guess I should've said is this possible to begin with? LOL
>>
>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>>> I've probably asked this before, but never did anything about it. I
>>> finally came across an nvidia GeForce MX4000 128MB pci video card that I
>>> am trying to get to work in a PB 910. First problem is how do I disable
>>> on board video. Disabling it in system properties isn't doing anything.
>>> Does disable it, but then just VGA graphics. Don't see anything in
>>> particular in BIOS under integrated peripheals allowing me to change it.
>>> Get a cannot start code 10 error when looking at the nvideo properties.
>>> This old box has XP Pro on also. (Believe it or not!!) I've done quit a
>>> bit of searching for various things, but nothing seems to be working.
>>> Finding PB specific advice is kind of tricky. The one website, which we
>>> all know, http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/9725/, was down a
>>> few minutes ago for excessive bandwidth!! Back up right now. Will cruise
>>> that. Any help is really appreciated.

Cork,
Here is a site about PBell Motherboards, I did not see anything saying
PB910, but saw PB930/950 or PB911 motherboards.
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb.htm

You can try disabling the onboard, by changing the jumper on the board. Now
for my PB MM955 using a PB850 motherboard. Even if I disabled the onboard
video with the VGA jumper changed, and with a 64mb PCI PNY Nvidia Video card
installed. I could not use PB Restore CD, as it was intended to be used.
Cause it could not find the onboard video during the installation. I needed
to find a way to install the OS and drivers manually.

Have you tried upgrading the video drivers for the card, in SAFE Mode, based
on the XP OS from www.nvidia.com ? Since it is an old motherboard, it might
not be compatible with XP, you may need to downgrade to W98SE for that PC.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
Let me know the resources each device is using
The one that is disabled also

"Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> Nobody has anything? C'mon Ben or Elector. Thought you guys would have
> something. LOL
>
> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>>I guess I should've said is this possible to begin with? LOL
>>
>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>>> I've probably asked this before, but never did anything about it. I
>>> finally came across an nvidia GeForce MX4000 128MB pci video card that I
>>> am trying to get to work in a PB 910. First problem is how do I disable
>>> on board video. Disabling it in system properties isn't doing anything.
>>> Does disable it, but then just VGA graphics. Don't see anything in
>>> particular in BIOS under integrated peripheals allowing me to change it.
>>> Get a cannot start code 10 error when looking at the nvideo properties.
>>> This old box has XP Pro on also. (Believe it or not!!) I've done quit a
>>> bit of searching for various things, but nothing seems to be working.
>>> Finding PB specific advice is kind of tricky. The one website, which we
>>> all know, http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/9725/, was down a
>>> few minutes ago for excessive bandwidth!! Back up right now. Will cruise
>>> that. Any help is really appreciated.

cork

Well, I had a friend of mine helping me out on this today. Just doesn't seem
to be anything I can do. Also finally looked at what power supply this
system has last time I had the cover off. Not sure if I'm reading the right
line but, says it's only either a 70 or 90 watts. The card recommends 200
watts, I think it was!

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
> Cork,
> Here is a site about PBell Motherboards, I did not see anything saying
> PB910, but saw PB930/950 or PB911 motherboards.
> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb.htm
>
> You can try disabling the onboard, by changing the jumper on the board.
> Now
> for my PB MM955 using a PB850 motherboard. Even if I disabled the onboard
> video with the VGA jumper changed, and with a 64mb PCI PNY Nvidia Video
> card
> installed. I could not use PB Restore CD, as it was intended to be used.
> Cause it could not find the onboard video during the installation. I
> needed
> to find a way to install the OS and drivers manually.
>
> Have you tried upgrading the video drivers for the card, in SAFE Mode,
> based
> on the XP OS from www.nvidia.com ? Since it is an old motherboard, it
> might
> not be compatible with XP, you may need to downgrade to W98SE for that PC.
>
> --
>
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>

> "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Let me know the resources each device is using
> The one that is disabled also
>

> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>> Nobody has anything? C'mon Ben or Elector. Thought you guys would have
>> something. LOL
>>
>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>>>I guess I should've said is this possible to begin with? LOL
>>>
>>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message

Cork,
Make sure, if you decide to upgrade the power supply, consider one that is
at least 300Watts. Also make sure that is a good quality one. Some store
branded/generic ones don't last long. I had a problem with the CompUSA store
branded/generic units, went through two (2) from them. OEM PBell that I have
came with a 90W unit.

--

Click on Link to Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Well, I had a friend of mine helping me out on this today. Just doesn't seem
to be anything I can do. Also finally looked at what power supply this
system has last time I had the cover off. Not sure if I'm reading the right
line but, says it's only either a 70 or 90 watts. The card recommends 200
watts, I think it was!

cork

I'm working at trying to get this together!!

"metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Let me know the resources each device is using
> The one that is disabled also
>

> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>> Nobody has anything? C'mon Ben or Elector. Thought you guys would have
>> something. LOL
>>
>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>>>I guess I should've said is this possible to begin with? LOL
>>>
>>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message

error code 10 and bad pool caller are all
device conflicts
you did check the resources each device was using
> I'm working at trying to get this together!!
>

> "metronid" <metronid@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Let me know the resources each device is using
>> The one that is disabled also
>>

>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message
>>> Nobody has anything? C'mon Ben or Elector. Thought you guys would have
>>> something. LOL
>>>
>>> "Cork" <cork58@chartermi.net> wrote in message

1. For the boards that have onboard video and you would like to install a
PCI video card, before you install the PCI video card make sure that in the
BIOS the "Init Display First" is set to PCI not AGP. Then install the PCI
video card and plug your monitor cable into the PCI video card installed.
Once your system is in Windows load the drivers provided by the manufacture
of the PCI video card. If you would like to disable the on board video you
can do so by going to the device manager and right clicking the onboard
video card listed under display adapters and choose the disable option.

2. For the boards with an AGP socket on the board in addition to onboard
video, as soon as an AGP card is placed in the AGP socket, the onboard VGA
will disable automatically. However, if an PCI video card is inserted to the
PCI slot then it will have to be disable in the OS.

As far as the power supply is concerned a more sturdy one is always good
idea
That is not the reason for the error codes
As far as a COMPUSA ,I always pay the 4.99 replacement plan and they seem
not to burn up for some reason
pricewatch.com has cheap ones all the time
remember cheap is usually cheap

You can always cut the power pin to the agp chipset as a last resort

In any case
I am going back to Ebay