Wireless Advise needed

Please advise.
I'm doing a job soon.
Think of it as a large 5 bedroomed house.
4 rooms are going to be wireless.
The 5th (a very large room) is already wired with 8 pc's.
The other 4 rooms are the size of normal bedrooms.
They also need the dowstairs to be wireless.
Ther is already a 4 pc mini network downstairs but there is
no link to upstairs.
Its a 2 storey building.

All pc's are Windows 98/2000 & have a Win 2000 File Server. They will have
broadband for Internet Access & Email.

What equipment do I need for this?
I bought 2 Zyair G-1000 54Mbps Access Points.
Will they be sufficient?
1 upstairs & 1 dowstairs.
Would I need something more powerful for speed purposes?
Will it be slow?

What do you recommend.
The walls arent too thick.
I havent done a wireless job like this before so I'm not sure.

Joe
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless advise needed

    If you don't know what you're doing then why did you take
    the job.
    Leave it to professionals....

    Hi Joe. You might take a look at the very helpful info at
    www.practicallynetworked.com.

    My system is in a 2-story home. I have 3 desktops wired (CAT 5 cable) to a
    D-Link 4-port wireless router. I also use a laptop containing a Netgear
    wireless card to access that same router, using the Access Point
    (infrastructure) method. The laptop can be used anywhere in the house, or
    out in the backyard. The router, along with my desktops, is located in my
    basement.

    The router gets to the outside world with a cable modem.

    My operating systems include W98SE, Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP Home. All
    computers, including the laptop, can access each other's files, as well as
    the internet. I use a network printer connected to a parallel print server
    on the router, so all computers have independent access to it.

    Speed is very good on all computers. There was no noticeable drop from the
    speed I enjoyed when I had only 1 PC connected directly to my modem.

    I use no individual Access Point devices. My only access point device is my
    router.

    Hope this gives you some ideas.

    "Joe" <bcs97@eircom.net> wrote in message
    > Please advise.
    > I'm doing a job soon.
    > Think of it as a large 5 bedroomed house.
    > 4 rooms are going to be wireless.
    > The 5th (a very large room) is already wired with 8 pc's.
    > The other 4 rooms are the size of normal bedrooms.
    > They also need the dowstairs to be wireless.
    > Ther is already a 4 pc mini network downstairs but there is
    > no link to upstairs.
    > Its a 2 storey building.
    >
    > All pc's are Windows 98/2000 & have a Win 2000 File Server. They will have
    > broadband for Internet Access & Email.
    >
    > What equipment do I need for this?
    > I bought 2 Zyair G-1000 54Mbps Access Points.
    > Will they be sufficient?
    > 1 upstairs & 1 dowstairs.
    > Would I need something more powerful for speed purposes?
    > Will it be slow?
    >
    > What do you recommend.
    > The walls arent too thick.
    > I havent done a wireless job like this before so I'm not sure.
    >
    > Joe

    He is asking for help and this is why this form created..... We all one
    another. dud.....
    > If you don't know what you're doing then why did you take
    > the job.
    > Leave it to professionals....

    If you don't have the answer, why did you post here? Leave to the
    professionals.

    By all means, find your little niche of the one thing you can do well, and
    then do that and only that for the rest of your life. For anything else,
    pay someone else to do it...but make sure they're single-function robo...er,
    professionals like yourself. Have fun.

    Jack

Wireless Wireless Networking