2nd 9800Pro goes back

My Sapphire 9800 Pro purchased Feb 1st died in August and I received another
one from Newegg a couple days ago. It's defective and is going back (got
the rma already).
It has a problem similar to what many others have mentioned. When I load a
game, the computer usually locks up. I can get into the game menu on some,
but there are dots all over the screen and when I try to play the game, it
locks up.
I took off the HSF and put some AS5 on it, but that didn't help. I installed
my VGA Silencer, but that didn't help. I even underclocked it as far as I
could (300/300) with riva tuner, but even that didn't make games playable
(timedemo for CoD loaded before it locked up).
The dots indicate a core problem (tearing and triangles are associated with
memory problems), and it does get hot. Memory wasn't overheating, though.
This card is similar to the one I had before, 350 core and Hynix memory
chips. The only difference appears to be a Sapphire sticker on the molex
connector.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

PCI slot :+)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:16:22 -0400, "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com>
wrote:

>My Sapphire 9800 Pro purchased Feb 1st died in August and I received another
>one from Newegg a couple days ago. It's defective and is going back (got
>the rma already).
>It has a problem similar to what many others have mentioned. When I load a
>game, the computer usually locks up. I can get into the game menu on some,
>but there are dots all over the screen and when I try to play the game, it
>locks up.
>I took off the HSF and put some AS5 on it, but that didn't help. I installed
>my VGA Silencer, but that didn't help. I even underclocked it as far as I
>could (300/300) with riva tuner, but even that didn't make games playable
>(timedemo for CoD loaded before it locked up).
>The dots indicate a core problem (tearing and triangles are associated with
>memory problems), and it does get hot. Memory wasn't overheating, though.
>This card is similar to the one I had before, 350 core and Hynix memory
>chips. The only difference appears to be a Sapphire sticker on the molex
>connector.
>
>Gary

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Is your power supply up to the task ?
It could be lack of power rather than overheating.

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> My Sapphire 9800 Pro purchased Feb 1st died in August and I received
another
> one from Newegg a couple days ago. It's defective and is going back (got
> the rma already).
> It has a problem similar to what many others have mentioned. When I load a
> game, the computer usually locks up. I can get into the game menu on
some,
> but there are dots all over the screen and when I try to play the game, it
> locks up.
> I took off the HSF and put some AS5 on it, but that didn't help. I
installed
> my VGA Silencer, but that didn't help. I even underclocked it as far as I
> could (300/300) with riva tuner, but even that didn't make games playable
> (timedemo for CoD loaded before it locked up).
> The dots indicate a core problem (tearing and triangles are associated
with
> memory problems), and it does get hot. Memory wasn't overheating, though.
> This card is similar to the one I had before, 350 core and Hynix memory
> chips. The only difference appears to be a Sapphire sticker on the molex
> connector.
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com

Yup, PSU is fine. It's an Antec 350. One cd-rom player and 1 fan running.
Had been running a Voodoo 5500 fine, and those (big cards with 2 fans) also
have the additional Molex for power.

"dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is your power supply up to the task ?
> It could be lack of power rather than overheating.

mate has a similar problem. his new 3.2GHz P4 has done this from switching
it on but i thought that it was just a refresh rate or driver problem but it
looks like an RMA.

Robin