7500 to 9200SE

I am running the latest Radeon Catylist drivers form my Radeon 7500. I am
planning to replace it with the 9200SE 128MB radeon card. My question is do
I have to reinstall the drivers or will it just see the new card and work?
the catlyist drivers are for all Radeon cards.

Hugh

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Went from a 7200 AIW to a 9700 AIW then a 9800 AIW and with each upgrade I
had to reinstall the drivers. If you don't Windoze will do it for you but a
much neater approach would be to uninstall then remove hardware then install
hardware and reinstall drivers.

"Hugh" <hsutherland4NOSPAM@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I am running the latest Radeon Catylist drivers form my Radeon 7500. I am
>planning to replace it with the 9200SE 128MB radeon card. My question is
>do I have to reinstall the drivers or will it just see the new card and
>work? the catlyist drivers are for all Radeon cards.
>
> Hugh

peter

your answer is the last line of your post
peter
"Hugh" <hsutherland4NOSPAM@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I am running the latest Radeon Catylist drivers form my Radeon 7500. I am
>planning to replace it with the 9200SE 128MB radeon card. My question is do I
>have to reinstall the drivers or will it just see the new card and work? the
>catlyist drivers are for all Radeon cards.
>
> Hugh

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Hugh" <hsutherland4NOSPAM@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I am running the latest Radeon Catylist drivers form my Radeon 7500. I am
>planning to replace it with the 9200SE 128MB radeon card. My question is
>do I have to reinstall the drivers or will it just see the new card and
>work? the catlyist drivers are for all Radeon cards.

For trouble free upgrades, uninstall and reinstall the driver. It may work
OK without this, but I've seen problems when it isn't done. Your Radeon 7500
has a core that's 70Mhz faster, and memory with a 133Mhz effective higher
speed, with 3 times the bandwidth of a 9200SE.....not exactly an upgrade.

If you can find it, get an 8500.
8500LE, 9000, 9100 and 9200 are the slower/stripped down versions of the
8500 (which is 250mhz GPU and 250mhz memory)
The 8500LE and 9100 have slower memory (200mhz)
The 9000 and 9200 have some features stripped off their GPU and slower
memory (usually around 185mhz-200mhz)
The 8500s are also more overclockable.
The only advantage the 9200SE has is that it supports AGP 8X.

"Hugh" <hsutherland4NOSPAM@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I am running the latest Radeon Catylist drivers form my Radeon 7500. I am
>planning to replace it with the 9200SE 128MB radeon card. My question is
>do I have to reinstall the drivers or will it just see the new card and
>work? the catlyist drivers are for all Radeon cards.
>
> Hugh

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> If you can find it, get an 8500.
> 8500LE, 9000, 9100 and 9200 are the slower/stripped down versions of the
> 8500 (which is 250mhz GPU and 250mhz memory)
> The 8500LE and 9100 have slower memory (200mhz)
> The 9000 and 9200 have some features stripped off their GPU and slower
> memory (usually around 185mhz-200mhz)
> The 8500s are also more overclockable.
> The only advantage the 9200SE has is that it supports AGP 8X.

The standard clock/mem rate for the 8500 is 275/275. 8500LE/9100 64Mb cards
are 250/250. 128Mb versions of the 8500LE/9100 are 250/200. Some can be
found at 250/225. All of the above used the R200 GPU. The 9000 series is the
RV250 GPU, and has one TMU stripped out per pipeline. Std 9000 has 250/200
clocking. 9000 Pro is 275/275. All 9200 series are AGP8X and use the RV280
GPU and are also missing one TMU per pipe. The 9200 Pro is the fastest of
the lot at 300/300, but it's bandwidth is identical to the straight 8500 due
to the missing TMU. An actual full 8500 128Mb is the best of the lot,
running at 300/300 on my Barton 3200 it would do 11,500 in 3DMark01 and
around 2000 in '03.