Accessing files when mounting primary HDD on different com..

Hi,
I'd appreciate if someone can help me with this. My laptop died a sad death
and I've mounted the harddrive to a public desktop PC for now. Unfortunately
that desktop doesn't have the same username so at the moment I can't access
any of my personal files on the laptop's harddrive. Is there a way to
authenticate to the harddrive and access the files or must I find a desktop
where I can create an identical user? The laptop was running XP SP2.

Thanks,
Mikael
1 answer Last reply
More about accessing files mounting primary

    "Muu" <Muu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'd appreciate if someone can help me with this. My laptop died a sad
    > death
    > and I've mounted the harddrive to a public desktop PC for now.
    > Unfortunately
    > that desktop doesn't have the same username so at the moment I can't
    > access
    > any of my personal files on the laptop's harddrive. Is there a way to
    > authenticate to the harddrive and access the files or must I find a
    > desktop
    > where I can create an identical user? The laptop was running XP SP2.

    The actual user name is not relevant. Your Windows XP account is rename
    safe because we actually use a unique security identifier for each account
    (SID).
    All you files on your old driver are marked as owned by that old accounts
    SID and they will also have specific permissions such as read/write etc.
    All you need do to gain access to them is using the Administrator account on
    the new PC - take ownership of those files and set the permissions as
    appropriate to allow you access.
    See the online help for information on how to Take Ownership and reset
    Permissions.

    There is one exception to the above. If any of the files have been secured
    using encryption then you will need to export the relevant certificates and
    keys from your old machine and import them to this new one otherwise those
    encrypted files are lost.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Muu" <Muu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'd appreciate if someone can help me with this. My laptop died a sad
    > death
    > and I've mounted the harddrive to a public desktop PC for now.
    > Unfortunately
    > that desktop doesn't have the same username so at the moment I can't
    > access
    > any of my personal files on the laptop's harddrive. Is there a way to
    > authenticate to the harddrive and access the files or must I find a
    > desktop
    > where I can create an identical user? The laptop was running XP SP2.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mikael

Laptops Desktops Hard Drives Windows XP