Accessing files when mounting primary HDD on different com..

Hi,
I'd appreciate if someone can help me with this. My laptop died a sad death
and I've mounted the harddrive to a public desktop PC for now. Unfortunately
that desktop doesn't have the same username so at the moment I can't access
any of my personal files on the laptop's harddrive. Is there a way to
authenticate to the harddrive and access the files or must I find a desktop
where I can create an identical user? The laptop was running XP SP2.

Thanks,
Mikael

"Muu" <Muu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'd appreciate if someone can help me with this. My laptop died a sad
> death
> and I've mounted the harddrive to a public desktop PC for now.
> Unfortunately
> that desktop doesn't have the same username so at the moment I can't
> access
> any of my personal files on the laptop's harddrive. Is there a way to
> authenticate to the harddrive and access the files or must I find a
> desktop
> where I can create an identical user? The laptop was running XP SP2.

The actual user name is not relevant. Your Windows XP account is rename
safe because we actually use a unique security identifier for each account
(SID).
All you files on your old driver are marked as owned by that old accounts
SID and they will also have specific permissions such as read/write etc.
All you need do to gain access to them is using the Administrator account on
the new PC - take ownership of those files and set the permissions as
appropriate to allow you access.
See the online help for information on how to Take Ownership and reset
Permissions.

There is one exception to the above. If any of the files have been secured
using encryption then you will need to export the relevant certificates and
keys from your old machine and import them to this new one otherwise those
encrypted files are lost.

--

Regards,

Mike