Overclocking 9600Pro EZ to 9600Pro

Hi all,
I just bought Powercolor Radeon 9600Pro EZ card that's clocked at 400/400.
Does anybody know if there is bios flash for the card to run it at 9600Pro
speeds?
Of course, I can up the frequencies with the utility that comes with Omega
drivers, but I am not sure if that's the best solution.

Thanks!

On 9/21/2004 7:17 PM Eugen T brightened our day with:

>Hi all,
>I just bought Powercolor Radeon 9600Pro EZ card that's clocked at 400/400.
>Does anybody know if there is bios flash for the card to run it at 9600Pro
>speeds?
>Of course, I can up the frequencies with the utility that comes with Omega
>drivers, but I am not sure if that's the best solution.
>
>Thanks!

You mean it's at 400/200 and you want to run it 400/300? A 100 MHz
memory overclock would probably require something to physically be done
to the card or you'll just fry the memory.
The reason those cards are cheaper and only clock at 200 MHz is because
they put cheap memory on them that are unstable at higher clock speeds.
They grab the memory out of the bin that failed quality control and put
them on your board.

A BIOS flash isn't going to help. Clock it as high as it will go using
ATITool and see what you get.

--
Lo, brethren, within the doom 3/base folder there is but one folder structure.
That is the way it has always been, is now and ever shall be.

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 9/21/2004 7:17 PM Eugen T brightened our day with:
>
> >Hi all,
> >I just bought Powercolor Radeon 9600Pro EZ card that's clocked at
400/400.
> >Does anybody know if there is bios flash for the card to run it at
9600Pro
> >speeds?
> >Of course, I can up the frequencies with the utility that comes with
Omega
> >drivers, but I am not sure if that's the best solution.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> You mean it's at 400/200 and you want to run it 400/300? A 100 MHz
> memory overclock would probably require something to physically be done
> to the card or you'll just fry the memory.
> The reason those cards are cheaper and only clock at 200 MHz is because
> they put cheap memory on them that are unstable at higher clock speeds.
> They grab the memory out of the bin that failed quality control and put
> them on your board.
>
> A BIOS flash isn't going to help. Clock it as high as it will go using
> ATITool and see what you get.
>
> --
> Lo, brethren, within the doom 3/base folder there is but one folder
structure.
> That is the way it has always been, is now and ever shall be.
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

The memory, in fact, is a cheap brand, but it works surprisingly stable.
Most probably, it failed one or two non-important QC tests, hehe. I was able
to go to ~260x2 on this memory, haven't tried going higher - will get
heatsinks first. Normal 9600Pro is clocked at 400/600 (2x300), so I am
close.