What game should I get??

Stormfury

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
Hmmm I've been thinking about getting another PC game but I don't know what I should get. I hate games that have anything to do with military (Like Vietcong for example or anything else current military related) and shoot em up games. I prefer to play fantasy games but sometimes I'll venture into sci-fi. I'm looking for a good quality game with a GOOD STORYLINE and ok graphics (doesn't have to be the best). Please don't mention KOTR because I'm just finishing up Morrowind and I don't want to play another game that is HUGE. What are your thoughts?

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
You're limited by your gaming preferences. Most cater to the quick thrill.

I've never played it, but <b>Beyond Good and Evil</b> was voted the year's best adventure game at Gamespot.com

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I'm still waiting for Thief 3 and Fable, both for X-box, but I know Thief 3 will be on PC also. I don't know if that's your style or not.

Right now I don't really have any other fantasy games I'm interested in. Even when I walk through the game section at the store nothing really catches my attention.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Deus Ex: Invisible War, get it. I downloaded the demo and now I think im going to get it. I had hours of fun just playing with the awesome physics system and the graphics are pretty decent. It's a sci-fi type game that is a mix between action/rpg, I have the original and the storyline is one of the best ones I have ever seen or heard. I'm pretty sure the game is linear, meaning its not as big as Morrowind (that game is huge) but its not confined either.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here and beat this bad boy...
A64 3200+ w/ 1 GB DDR 400
2 36 gig raptors in Raid 0 complemented by an AIW 9800 Pro

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
try Neverwinter Nights if u havent played it already thats an rpg with yur usual swords and [-peep-]. not a bad game and while there is usually a fair bit to do at any given time it is very structured and looks pretty good as well.

also am getting into star wars knights of the old republic. thats a 3rd person rpg. have only been playing it for a bit but again it seems nice and structured with plenty of compact quests to complete. the only off put for u there is that while swords and light sabers are used alot (with a nice idea brought into the game to explain why swords are still used) there are also blasters etc (all running under D&D rules) so u have guns basically with attack ratings. it annoyed me for a bit but i have gotten to like the game lots.

also it has another plus point in that u can be a jedi. har har. even non starwars ppl secretly want to be jedi and make vrrrrm noises while swinging a brush handle although in the game it takes like 5 mins to become a jedi and its kinda underwhelming BUT STILL!!! :D

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
another advantage of neverwinter nights is the large amount of user-created modules. lets you pick the depth of the adventure that you want to take on. some of the mods are so good that i've really never gotten around to playing the campaign that came with the game (or the expansion packs).

dhlucke

Polypheme
Get neverwinter nights and the two expansion packs. It's a lot of game play. You have so many options with the characters in that game that it's great for MP gameplay as well.

It has a linear story but a handfull of side quests as well.

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
You should have listed what games you've PLAYED.

My Top Five Favorite Games Of All Time (so far):
1. Half Life
2. StarCraft
3. Star Wars Galaxies
4. Diablo II
5. Freelancer

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
lol. with the exception of halflife u really need to find a better top 5 :p

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
All opinions. Just opinions. I could have put Jedi Knight II in there or Ghost Recon or Serious Sam II or a bunch of others, but the games up there are the ones that have gobbled up the most hours :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by confoundicator on 01/29/04 12:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Hmmm...

Serious Sam, Freelancer, Neverwinter Nights, Jedi Knight II, Age of Empires, any Tom Clancy Game, max payne

Those come to mind real quick as time gobblers

dhlucke

Polypheme
Oh, and Unreal Tournament...the best game ever!

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002

The poster doesn't care for shooters, so Unreal Tournament, and others probably aren't good suggestions. (I will say I used to not care for FPS until I tried MOHAA, that one changed my mind real quick)

Anyways...Neverwinter Nights is a good one, especially what other people have said about it(the user made adventures, some of which are better than the original campaign). Temple of Elemental Evil is another game based on the D&D rules. This one, however has gotten mixed reviews from critics and players alike. I happen to have enjoyed it. It does lack in the storyline but the combat is great.

Now my turn to "break" the request....
I just finished KotOR and it's (In my opinion) a great game. It took me just over 56 hours (the save games track your time) to complete it. From what I've heard about Morrowind, that game has around 200 hours of gameplay, so KotOR is short in comparison.

Stormfury

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
Hmmm I always thought KoToR is as big as Morrowind. Thanks for all the suggestions I'll look into themc specially the Neverwinter Nights expansions. Anyone play Warcraft 3 the Frozen throne or Thief II? If so are they any good? Here's all the games I've played that I can think of:

All the Jedi Knights
All Age of Empires
PoP:SoT
Morrowind
Thief
Fallout 2 and Tactics
Enter the Matrix
Dungeon Siege
Neverwinter Nights
Warcraft 3
Empire Earth
All the Diablos
Undying

Thinking between these games:
NBA Live 2004
Jedi Academy
Neverwinter Expansion (is there more than one?)
Arx Fatalis
Praetorians

I'll just pick up deus ex and halflife on ebay for like $3.00.

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
Neverwinter Expansion (is there more than one?)
there are a two of expansion packs for neverwinter nights: Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. they have bundled editions where you can get the game and the Shadows expansion pack together, i'm not sure about Hordes since its fairly new. some of the user created mods require an expansion pack to be installed to play.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
COUNTER STRIKE!!!

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
no no no rob.. your forgetting he doesnt like shooters.... hold on a second your right... anyone who doesnt like CS should be shot... in the eye and im not talking about the eyes on/in your face... or is that too extreme?

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Hah, haha. I seriously hope you're being sarcastic about Counter-Strike. That game is the biggest cesspool of 13 year old pricks on the internet. The ONLY way to enjoy CS, is to find a server that's administrated the entire time it's up so it's not running rampant with 3133t h4x0rz!11!

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
yeah i used to play on a clan server which always had an admn on. havent played in ages though as where i live i havent the net connection to play it....

anyway as for all the cheating... i liked it as you had to be damn good to beat the cheaters and it just improves yur playing :D

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
No, for someone not liking counter strike or DOD... should be shoot in those 2 places...lol........ i can think of worse!

Counter Strike should be installed on everyones computer!!

any of you guys seriously play CS? like CLANS and stuff?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
after playing CoD I cant play DoD anymore!!!... the weapons in DoD just seem fake and nasty now compared to CoDs brilliance

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
If you liked Thief you should get Thief 2. Then after you beat that, you can download around 400 or so player made Fan Missions for Thief and Thief 2.

Most are very small, but there are probably 20 or 30 very good missions. The largest ones have movie sequences, voice acting and huge leveles to explore. You might download some of the Thief 1 FMs and after you get through those, start on Thief 2 and the rest of the missions.

Darkloader is very good at keeping the save games and settings separate so you can play any of the missions very easily.

<A HREF="http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com" target="_new">http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com</A> Most of the fan missions and programs to run the missions. The largest ones have been taken off, but can be found other places. He has also rated some of them. I would start by downloading the ones with the highest ratings, and the largest file sizes.

<A HREF="http://www.thiefmissions.com" target="_new">http://www.thiefmissions.com</A> Has probably the same amount as the link above, including the large ones that have been removed, but only 1 can be downloaded each day, so make it count.

<A HREF="http://www.thief-thecircle.com" target="_new">http://www.thief-thecircle.com</A> Has links to the Thief Fan sites, and some downloads.

<A HREF="http://www.thief2x.com/default2.asp" target="_new">http://www.thief2x.com/default2.asp</A> The Home of the Thief 2X Project. They are working on a full 13 or so missions for Thief 2. 6 missions are ready for Beta testing, so it's moving right along.

<A HREF="http://www.blackcatgames.com" target="_new">http://www.blackcatgames.com</A> And this site has a Thief mod for Unreal Tournament. Play as a Thief or as a Guard, multiplayer deathmatch, using shadows to sneak around and become invisible just like the Thief games. They are also working on a Thief mod for UT 2003/2004 when it comes out. Very cool, since I always wanted Thief to have a multiplayer mode.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I also enjoyed Thief 2 alot. One of the main reasons I prefered it over the original Thief is because it dosn't dwell hardly at all with demonic things like zombies, ghosts, and living skeletons which I hate. However Thief 2 also features more intellegent AI compared to the first Thief as well as a better gameplay over all in its stressing of stealth tactics. Almost every mission in Thief 2 when played on the hardst diffeculty requires you to not kill anyone which was fun to try to accomplish. Also theres more city-like and castle-like missions, which I enjoy the most. I can't wait till Thief 3. And once I get a new video card I think I'll try out the demo for the latest Deus Ex game which currently I can't play because it requires a videocard that supports at least directX 8.1 minnimum which mine dosn't support.

<font color=blue>_____________________________________</font color=blue>
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 512mb DDR400, Creative Geforce2 GTS,
SoundBlaster Live! Value.