The Golden Age of Gaming

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 12:11:14 AM

Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's peak
which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The new games just
seem like graphically improved versions of the old games. Sure they've also
added the fancier physics and the ragdoll physics, but most of the genre's
have been created and long established and you can never catch the magic of
playing your first FPS again.

More about : golden age gaming

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 1:40:54 AM

> Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's peak
> which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The new games
just
> seem like graphically improved versions of the old games. Sure they've
also
> added the fancier physics and the ragdoll physics, but most of the genre's
> have been created and long established and you can never catch the magic
of
> playing your first FPS again.

We havn't even reached it yet, to be perfectly honest. But I can tell you
where we're headed (And what the golden age will be.) Games like HL, HL2,
where the gamer takes on a first person roll will be the norm- however, the
games will be virtual reality based with framerates dictated by what the
human eye can process (in ultra-real high resolution with graphics
undistinguishable by the naked eye from reality.) The games will be highly
interactive though, unlike HL/HL2, where many paths await you.

HL/HL2 are cutting edge and headed towards this ideal.

Picture 'Holonovels' from Star Trek-- that will be the ultimate Golden Age
of gaming.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 9:52:11 AM

"po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's peak
> which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The new games
> just seem like graphically improved versions of the old games. Sure
> they've also added the fancier physics and the ragdoll physics, but most
> of the genre's have been created and long established and you can never
> catch the magic of playing your first FPS again.

Ever improving A.I. is the future for FPS especially adaptive A.I. that
adjusts to your abilities and there is absoloutely no danger of that
becoming a solved problem anytime in my life time.

On the hardware side - workable 3D goggles will come soon and a replacement
for the mouse and keyboard is long overdue - the input is the least
realistic part of the gaming experience.
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 1:55:15 PM

"po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's peak
> which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The new games
just
> seem like graphically improved versions of the old games. Sure they've
also
> added the fancier physics and the ragdoll physics, but most of the genre's
> have been created and long established and you can never catch the magic
of
> playing your first FPS again.

You could argue that the games that you played when you got your computer in
98 or 99 were simply graphically improved versions of the games that came
before then. Games are developing and improving all the time. Each new
popular console sees breakthroughs in gaming. The first playstation saw many
games that were way in advance of any games outside of a local arcade. The
Playstation took arcade gaming into the home. The Dreamcast saw Shenmue,
with more interactivity with your surroundings than in any similar game
previously. The 2nd Playstation has seen the Grand Theft Auto series go 3D,
combining all the action of a game like Driver, with running and shooting in
a 3d environment like in a game like Manhunter - definitely a first. PC
gaming continues to see better FPS games and strategy games - plus online
gaming which is still in its infancy on consoles. The latest step has been
the new Half Life 2 and Doom 3 game engines. Love or loathe those games, the
game engines will be used to power many games for years to come. The Quake 3
engine that came out about 5 years ago is still being used in recent games.
Graphics and game physics are getting closer and closer to real life.
Controllers and peripherals have improved too. I don't think we're in the
"Golden Age", and I don't think we've passed it either. Gaming is just
coninual improvement.Ultimately you're relying on hardware to improve gaming
capabilities. The gaming industry is bigger than ever. It used to be kids
only who had a games console. Again the Playstation was responsible for
another "first", by appealing to gamers in their 20s and above. The older
gamers either had a computer and played few games on it, or played in
arcades only prior to then. Gaming is better than ever, so is therefore,
closer to the "Golden Age" than ever before.
January 16, 2005 2:19:10 PM

po proclaimed...

> Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's peak
> which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The new games just
> seem like graphically improved versions of the old games. Sure they've also
> added the fancier physics and the ragdoll physics, but most of the genre's
> have been created and long established and you can never catch the magic of
> playing your first FPS again.

For me the golden age was when programmers numbered one and had
exclusive creative control over the project. When they didn't have
abundant CPU power or lethal graphics cards and as such had to create
games which were playable and addictive and not just pretty.

For me, either late Atari era, late spectrum, Mid Amiga or Early PC.

There are games from all those era's I like.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"Forget about it"
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 3:59:32 PM

Golden age? Hmm. Playing attack of the mutant camels and manic miner in
the 80s was fun and new. Playing the first doom was also very
entertaining. Playing HL2 now is awesome, for me the experience is very
thrilling and entertaining. If anything playing HL2 now is more “magic”
than playing doom1 (my first FPS)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 4:07:26 PM

"Strider" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
> For me the golden age was when programmers numbered one and had
> exclusive creative control over the project. When they didn't have
> abundant CPU power or lethal graphics cards and as such had to create
> games which were playable and addictive and not just pretty.
>
> For me, either late Atari era, late spectrum, Mid Amiga or Early PC.
>
> There are games from all those era's I like.

I can remember first playing monkey island on the amiga! fekin amazing game,
i still play it at least once a year!
January 16, 2005 5:04:59 PM

Mr smith proclaimed...

> I can remember first playing monkey island on the amiga! fekin amazing game,
> i still play it at least once a year!

The thing which impressed me most about the game was when he was sword
fighting but having the verbal sparring. The retort he choose effected
the results of the fight, it was clever and funny too.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"My Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for
another couple of minutes."
January 16, 2005 5:52:18 PM

Strider wrote:
> Mr smith proclaimed...
>
>> I can remember first playing monkey island on the amiga! fekin
>> amazing game, i still play it at least once a year!
>
> The thing which impressed me most about the game was when he was sword
> fighting but having the verbal sparring. The retort he choose effected
> the results of the fight, it was clever and funny too.

Yea, the humour of the game was excellent, don't see many games with it
these days.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 6:29:49 PM

"Strider" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
> po proclaimed...
>
>> Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's
>> peak which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The
>> new games just seem like graphically improved versions of the old
>> games. Sure they've also added the fancier physics and the ragdoll
>> physics, but most of the genre's have been created and long
>> established and you can never catch the magic of playing your first
>> FPS again.
>
> For me the golden age was when programmers numbered one and had
> exclusive creative control over the project. When they didn't have
> abundant CPU power or lethal graphics cards and as such had to create
> games which were playable and addictive and not just pretty.
>
> For me, either late Atari era, late spectrum, Mid Amiga or Early PC.
>
> There are games from all those era's I like.

I've loved interactivity with the 'world' in games from the beginning.
It's coming to the point where the designers of the engines can actually
let us create levels from *within* the level ;)  You play god. You
shape and create to your imaginations limits. Ooooh sounds good, can't
wait to create 'Eve'!!!!!
McG.
January 16, 2005 6:34:23 PM

Strider wrote:
> po proclaimed...
>

>>Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's peak
>>which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The new games just
>>seem like graphically improved versions of the old games. Sure they've also
>>added the fancier physics and the ragdoll physics, but most of the genre's
>>have been created and long established and you can never catch the magic of
>>playing your first FPS again.
>

> For me the golden age was when programmers numbered one and had
> exclusive creative control over the project. When they didn't have
> abundant CPU power or lethal graphics cards and as such had to create
> games which were playable and addictive and not just pretty.
>
> For me, either late Atari era, late spectrum, Mid Amiga or Early PC.
>
> There are games from all those era's I like.

I can't say there really has been a 'golden age' as for every Manic
Miner, JetPac or Dungeon Master there were at last ten truly awful
games. Golden games of their era... now that's a different question.
January 16, 2005 6:46:40 PM

JAB proclaimed...

> Dungeon Master

Dungeon Master

/striders eyes cloud over as he remembers the pitched battles.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"My Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for
another couple of minutes."
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 9:53:44 PM

"Strider" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> skrev i meddelandet
> JAB proclaimed...
>
> > Dungeon Master
>
> Dungeon Master
>
> /striders eyes cloud over as he remembers the pitched battles.

Mm I remember. I actually ended playing that when I was one level before the
end. I didn't want the game to end......

lyset
January 16, 2005 10:15:45 PM

lyset proclaimed...

> Mm I remember. I actually ended playing that when I was one level before the
> end. I didn't want the game to end......

I remember starting the game and playing through with all my characters
reincarnated to make it harder.

I also tried to play it through with just on character but that was
humorously funny since he couldn't carry everything that needed to be
carried.

I had a guy called Hawk, reincarnated him and by the end this big mo fo
could carry four chests full of screamer slices.

:)

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

"My Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for
another couple of minutes."
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
January 16, 2005 11:11:41 PM

"po" <prbj@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Are we in it or has it passed? I'd say we are in it, but past it's peak
> which for me was when I got my computer around 98 or 99. The new games
just
> seem like graphically improved versions of the old games. Sure they've
also
> added the fancier physics and the ragdoll physics, but most of the genre's
> have been created and long established and you can never catch the magic
of
> playing your first FPS again.

chess
January 17, 2005 1:02:53 AM

> lyset proclaimed...
>
>> Mm I remember. I actually ended playing that when I was one level before
>> the
>> end. I didn't want the game to end......
>
> I remember starting the game and playing through with all my characters
> reincarnated to make it harder.
>
> I also tried to play it through with just on character but that was
> humorously funny since he couldn't carry everything that needed to be
> carried.
>
> I had a guy called Hawk, reincarnated him and by the end this big mo fo
> could carry four chests full of screamer slices.
>
> :)

Ah the noise of screamers ... good to eat mind you.

> --
> AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
> Homepage: stri.tk
>
> "My Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for
> another couple of minutes."
January 17, 2005 10:36:09 AM

JAB proclaimed...

> Ah the noise of screamers ... good to eat mind you.

I thought it especially clever when he placed a group of them down on
level 10 in the heart of one of the more difficult dungeons.

I approached them with expected complacency, fireballed them a couple of
them times and stood in shock as the smoke cleared and found they lived!

--

!