X800 + SP2: Far Cry freezes

After installing the SP2, Far Cry freezes after several minutes of
play ... was running Cat 4.6

have now updated to 4.9 - no change, still freezing ...

thanks for any help!

Cole ***
--
Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
"Just kidding."

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:31:57 +0200, Cole Turner wrote in

    > After installing the SP2, Far Cry freezes after several minutes of
    > play ... was running Cat 4.6
    >
    > have now updated to 4.9 - no change, still freezing ...

    Running Windows XP Pro w/SP2 installed with an X800 XT card and not a
    single problem with Far Cry. Where did you get your card from? The
    original X800 XT Dell sent me was defective with system lockups the rule
    anytime I ran any software which put a load on the graphics card. Since
    they sent me a new card, not a single problem.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    .... there came a great Cole Turner <REMOVEcole.turner@liwest.at>
    flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

    >After installing the SP2, Far Cry freezes after several minutes of
    >play ... was running Cat 4.6
    >
    >have now updated to 4.9 - no change, still freezing ...
    >
    >thanks for any help!
    >
    >Cole ***

    oh yes, and let me add: it's not the PSU, that one's an ANTEC True
    Power 550
    --
    Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
    "Just kidding."
    ('Airplane!', 1980)

    Hi Cole,

    Some computers just lock up after installing SP2. A friends computer got
    frequent BSOD's, games would crash, etc. After uninstalling SP2, things
    returned to normal. My computer runs pretty well with SP2. I guess it all
    depends on every single piece of different hardware that makes every
    homecomputer unique in some way. My best guess would be to uninstall SP2
    again...you can live without it anyway...

    Ralph Birden

    .... there came a great David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net>
    flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

    >On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:31:57 +0200, Cole Turner wrote in
    >
    >> After installing the SP2, Far Cry freezes after several minutes of
    >> play ... was running Cat 4.6
    >>
    >> have now updated to 4.9 - no change, still freezing ...
    >
    >Running Windows XP Pro w/SP2 installed with an X800 XT card and not a
    >single problem with Far Cry. Where did you get your card from? The
    >original X800 XT Dell sent me was defective with system lockups the rule
    >anytime I ran any software which put a load on the graphics card. Since
    >they sent me a new card, not a single problem.
    >
    >Dave

    thanks, but it shouldn't be the card, before SP2 there weren't any
    apparent problems
    --
    Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
    "Just kidding."
    ('Airplane!', 1980)

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:36:08 +0200, Cole Turner wrote in

    > thanks, but it shouldn't be the card, before SP2 there weren't any
    > apparent problems

    Did you try a clean install of Windows XP and as soon as you get to the
    desktop installing SP2?

    .... there came a great "Ralph Birden" <ralph.birden@smc.etat.lu>
    flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

    >Hi Cole,
    >
    >Some computers just lock up after installing SP2. A friends computer got
    >frequent BSOD's, games would crash, etc. After uninstalling SP2, things
    >returned to normal. My computer runs pretty well with SP2. I guess it all
    >depends on every single piece of different hardware that makes every
    >homecomputer unique in some way. My best guess would be to uninstall SP2
    >again...you can live without it anyway...
    >
    >Ralph Birden

    hehe, I have tried to remove SP2 from a friend's machine which didn't
    agree with it either ... problem: the machine locked up DURING removal
    of SP2.
    Had to reboot - error message - system being "unstable" removal of SP2
    recommended - restarted removal procedure - couldn't comply because
    "SP2 not found" ... *g*

    --
    Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
    "Just kidding."
    ('Airplane!', 1980)

    .... there came a great David Casey <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net>
    flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

    >On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:36:08 +0200, Cole Turner wrote in
    >
    >> thanks, but it shouldn't be the card, before SP2 there weren't any
    >> apparent problems
    >
    >Did you try a clean install of Windows XP and as soon as you get to the
    >desktop installing SP2?
    >
    >Dave

    uh no! considering all the installed stuff and all those little
    registry tweaks that would take forever and three days :)
    --
    Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
    "Just kidding."
    ('Airplane!', 1980)

    .... there came a great Cole Turner <REMOVEcole.turner@liwest.at>
    flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

    >After installing the SP2, Far Cry freezes after several minutes of
    >play ... was running Cat 4.6
    >
    >have now updated to 4.9 - no change, still freezing ...
    >
    >thanks for any help!
    >
    >Cole ***

    OK; now even Thief 3 crashed (never did before SP2), have removed SP2
    now, no crash so far - will test more tomorrow and keep you all
    posted!

    Good night, Cole ***
    --
    Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
    "Just kidding."
    ('Airplane!', 1980)

    My guess is that SP2 installs a driver that your hardware does not like.
    After you install SP2 on your system, try downloading and installing the
    latest motherboard drivers, video drivers, sound card drivers, and uptodate
    drivers for any other hardware you might have.

    JK

    > ... there came a great Cole Turner <REMOVEcole.turner@liwest.at>
    > flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:
    >
    >>After installing the SP2, Far Cry freezes after several minutes of
    >>play ... was running Cat 4.6
    >>
    >>have now updated to 4.9 - no change, still freezing ...
    >>
    >>thanks for any help!
    >>
    >>Cole ***
    >
    > OK; now even Thief 3 crashed (never did before SP2), have removed SP2
    > now, no crash so far - will test more tomorrow and keep you all
    > posted!
    >
    > Good night, Cole ***
    > --
    > Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
    > "Just kidding."
    > ('Airplane!', 1980)

    .... there came a great Cole Turner <REMOVEcole.turner@liwest.at>
    flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

    >After installing the SP2, Far Cry freezes after several minutes of
    >play ... was running Cat 4.6
    >
    >have now updated to 4.9 - no change, still freezing ...
    >
    >thanks for any help!
    >
    >Cole ***

    OK, another crash without SP2 ...

    however, I figured out why now!

    installed ATI-Tool, temperature went to high heaven, over 120 after 5
    min of Far Cry - opened casing, card fan was dead ...

    back to store :)

    Cole ***
    --
    Johnny: [plugging back in the runway lights]
    "Just kidding."
    ('Airplane!', 1980)

Radeon ATI Graphics