WinXp EFS decryption problem

My office laptop harddisk crashed last week, but luckily the service
guy that came to pick it up was able to recover an encrypted folder and
burned that folder on a CD which he gave back to me. The service guy
doesn't know my password (I didn't give it to him), so I am assuming
that the contents on the CD is still encrypted.

I have a new laptop now and copied the CD to my new laptop. winxp
recogizes the files/folders with the correct type and size, but
doesn't recognize them as encrypted (no green color) and I cannot open
any of them!!

How can I decrypt this folder????

I tried logging in as admin and run the Certificates Manager to
configure admin as the default recovery agent for all encrypted files.

The problem however remains that winxp does not 'know' that this folder
was encrypted in the first place (or else it would have a green color
which it doesn't) and winxp doesn't recognize that its encrypted stuff,
so if I try to open a .pst, .doc, or .xls it doesn't work...

Any help is greatly appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about winxp decryption problem

    <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My office laptop harddisk crashed last week, but luckily the service
    > guy that came to pick it up was able to recover an encrypted folder and
    > burned that folder on a CD which he gave back to me. The service guy
    > doesn't know my password (I didn't give it to him), so I am assuming
    > that the contents on the CD is still encrypted.
    >
    > I have a new laptop now and copied the CD to my new laptop. winxp
    > recogizes the files/folders with the correct type and size, but
    > doesn't recognize them as encrypted (no green color) and I cannot open
    > any of them!!
    >
    > How can I decrypt this folder????
    >
    > I tried logging in as admin and run the Certificates Manager to
    > configure admin as the default recovery agent for all encrypted files.
    >
    > The problem however remains that winxp does not 'know' that this folder
    > was encrypted in the first place (or else it would have a green color
    > which it doesn't) and winxp doesn't recognize that its encrypted stuff,
    > so if I try to open a .pst, .doc, or .xls it doesn't work...
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    There are a couple of things here.
    The file on CD may well still be encrypted but because it is not an NTFS
    format CD (no such thing) it will not see the encrypted file attribute on
    the file so it will not show up green.

    Passwords are not really the issue here. What you needed from your old
    laptop was the certificates and keys for the account that encrypted those
    files.
    If that laptop is no longer available to retrieve these files then your
    files are lost to you and will remain encrypted (there is no back door here
    you need either the keys and certs of the account that did the encryption or
    the keys and certs of the recovery agent on that machine (if one had been
    created before the files were encrypted)).

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My office laptop harddisk crashed last week, but luckily the service
    > guy that came to pick it up was able to recover an encrypted folder and
    > burned that folder on a CD which he gave back to me. The service guy
    > doesn't know my password (I didn't give it to him), so I am assuming
    > that the contents on the CD is still encrypted.
    >
    > I have a new laptop now and copied the CD to my new laptop. winxp
    > recogizes the files/folders with the correct type and size, but
    > doesn't recognize them as encrypted (no green color) and I cannot open
    > any of them!!
    >
    > How can I decrypt this folder????
    >
    > I tried logging in as admin and run the Certificates Manager to
    > configure admin as the default recovery agent for all encrypted files.
    >
    > The problem however remains that winxp does not 'know' that this folder
    > was encrypted in the first place (or else it would have a green color
    > which it doesn't) and winxp doesn't recognize that its encrypted stuff,
    > so if I try to open a .pst, .doc, or .xls it doesn't work...
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Mike,
    I did export the certificates/keys and copied them to another disk, I do
    have them.
    So how can I decrypt the folder (while winxp thinks it is not encrpyted)
    with that certificate?

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> [...]
    >> burned that folder on a CD which he gave back to me. The service guy
    >> doesn't know my password (I didn't give it to him), so I am assuming
    >> that the contents on the CD is still encrypted.
    >>
    >> I have a new laptop now and copied the CD to my new laptop. winxp
    >> recogizes the files/folders with the correct type and size, but
    >> doesn't recognize them as encrypted (no green color) and I cannot open
    >> any of them!!
    >>
    >> How can I decrypt this folder????
    >>
    >> I tried logging in as admin and run the Certificates Manager to
    >> configure admin as the default recovery agent for all encrypted files.
    >>
    >> The problem however remains that winxp does not 'know' that this folder
    >> was encrypted in the first place (or else it would have a green color
    >> which it doesn't) and winxp doesn't recognize that its encrypted stuff,
    >> so if I try to open a .pst, .doc, or .xls it doesn't work...

    And then there was silence...
    I guess there is no way to recover, even if I still have my
    certificate...
    Lesson learned: don't use EFS

    > And then there was silence...
    > I guess there is no way to recover, even if I still have my
    > certificate...
    > Lesson learned: don't use EFS

    Not silence - My work in this group is voluntary. I was hoping that you
    would get some peer support.

    But as regards your certificates and keys etc. You import these are
    documented in the online help
    This is also covered in more depth in Chapter 17 of the Windows XP Resource
    Kit documentation (available online on the TechNet website
    www.microsoft.com/technet)
    Once you have your certificates to decrypt the file imported the next issue
    is related to the way the encrypted file was taken from your old PC.
    Do you know what method was used to get the file off the disk and onto the
    CD (a none EFS aware media) ?

    The chances are the file may still be in encrypted form.
    So get it off the CD onto an NTFS volume - then check its attributes - you
    are looking for the encrypted one. If this is still set you should then be
    good to go and use the cipher command line tool to decrypt the file.
    You may firstly need to change the permissions on the file to take ownership
    of it to allow you to read/write/decrypt the file.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > And then there was silence...
    > I guess there is no way to recover, even if I still have my
    > certificate...
    > Lesson learned: don't use EFS
    >

    > pd42 wrote:
    >> Mike,
    >> I did export the certificates/keys and copied them to another disk, I
    > do
    >> have them.
    >> So how can I decrypt the folder (while winxp thinks it is not
    > encrpyted)
    >> with that certificate?
    >>

    >> "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <mikebran@online.microsoft.com> schreef in
    > bericht
    >> > <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > service
    > folder and
    > guy
    > assuming

    > open

    > files.

    > folder
    > color
    > stuff,

    >> > There are a couple of things here.
    >> > The file on CD may well still be encrypted but because it is not an
    > NTFS
    >> > format CD (no such thing) it will not see the encrypted file
    > attribute on
    >> > the file so it will not show up green.
    >> >
    >> > Passwords are not really the issue here. What you needed from your
    > old
    >> > laptop was the certificates and keys for the account that encrypted
    > those
    >> > files.
    >> > If that laptop is no longer available to retrieve these files then
    > your
    >> > files are lost to you and will remain encrypted (there is no back
    > door
    >> > here you need either the keys and certs of the account that did the
    >
    >> > encryption or the keys and certs of the recovery agent on that
    > machine (if
    >> > one had been created before the files were encrypted)).
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> >
    >> > Mike
    >> > --
    >> > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    >> > rights
    >> >
    >> > Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use
    > these
    >> > newsgroups
    >> >
    >> > <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > service
    > folder and
    > guy
    > assuming

    > open

    > files.

    > folder
    > color
    > stuff,

    NTFS shows that the encryption attribute is not checked (and the
    files/folders are not green).
    I don't know how exactly the CD was created. BTW, the cipher command shows
    them as unencrypted (U) as well.
    The folder/file structure and sizes etc seem completely intact, but all
    files contain unrecognizable information.
    Thanks for your help anyway.

> [...]
    > You may firstly need to change the permissions on the file to take
    > ownership of it to allow you to read/write/decrypt the file.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    > rights

    > newsgroups
    >
    > <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> And then there was silence...
    >> I guess there is no way to recover, even if I still have my
    >> certificate...
    >> Lesson learned: don't use EFS
    >>

    >> pd42 wrote:
    >>> Mike,
    >>> I did export the certificates/keys and copied them to another disk, I
    >> do
    >>> have them.
    >>> So how can I decrypt the folder (while winxp thinks it is not

    If the file contains "unrecognizable" information then one might presume
    that the file was copied 'body and bones' from the old system to the CD. It
    seems certain that it most certainly was NOT decrypted and copied...

    Is there no way to force the command line tool to decrypt a file that
    appears to not be *marked* as encrypted?? {sorry - I guess that question is
    for any MS lurkers in this group} I have tended to avoid EFS as much as
    possible so I am afraid I cannot offer any practical advice - only virtual
    advice.

    "pd42" <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > So get it off the CD onto an NTFS volume - then check its attributes -
    you
    > > are looking for the encrypted one. If this is still set you should then
    > > be good to go and use the cipher command line tool to decrypt the file.
    > > You may firstly need to change the permissions on the file to take
    > > ownership of it to allow you to read/write/decrypt the file.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Mike
    > > --
    > > Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    > > rights
    > >
    > > Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions, please use these
    > > newsgroups
    > >
    > > <pd42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> And then there was silence...
    > >> I guess there is no way to recover, even if I still have my

    Kerry,
    If you are right then I will avoid EFS from now on. You would expect
    that EFS should be able to decypher your files after a harddisk crash
    and partial recovery to a burned CD, but it seems that this is
    impossible.

Laptops CD-Rom Windows XP