Good security advice?

I got this info from the Feb. 2005 issue of PCWorld.com, titled
"Protect Yourself." Just wondering if most people think it's a good idea:

<< Change Windows Media Player setting to give you more warning. Select
Tool, Options, Privacy and turn off 'Acquire licenses automatically for
protected content'. A dialog box then will warn you each time a protected
file attempts to get a license, and it will display the URL from which the
file intends to request the license. If you have any doubts about the site,
choose 'No.' Changing this setting in Windows Media Player will affect any
other players you use that support Microsoft's DRM scheme.>>

Hello fan,
I think anytime you can verify that a program is trying to access the
internet, it is a good idea. Helps keep a check on Spy-ware.
Ron J

"History Fan" wrote:

> I got this info from the Feb. 2005 issue of PCWorld.com, titled
> "Protect Yourself." Just wondering if most people think it's a good idea:
>
> << Change Windows Media Player setting to give you more warning. Select
> Tool, Options, Privacy and turn off 'Acquire licenses automatically for
> protected content'. A dialog box then will warn you each time a protected
> file attempts to get a license, and it will display the URL from which the
> file intends to request the license. If you have any doubts about the site,
> choose 'No.' Changing this setting in Windows Media Player will affect any
> other players you use that support Microsoft's DRM scheme.>>

bar

Anything that allows the owner / user more control on what's going in and out
of their PC has to be a good idea.

Also, do you want some company out there to know everything you 'play'
something on WMP?

"Ron J" wrote:

> Hello fan,
> I think anytime you can verify that a program is trying to access the
> internet, it is a good idea. Helps keep a check on Spy-ware.
> Ron J
>

> "History Fan" wrote:
>
> > I got this info from the Feb. 2005 issue of PCWorld.com, titled
> > "Protect Yourself." Just wondering if most people think it's a good idea:
> >
> > << Change Windows Media Player setting to give you more warning. Select
> > Tool, Options, Privacy and turn off 'Acquire licenses automatically for
> > protected content'. A dialog box then will warn you each time a protected
> > file attempts to get a license, and it will display the URL from which the
> > file intends to request the license. If you have any doubts about the site,
> > choose 'No.' Changing this setting in Windows Media Player will affect any
> > other players you use that support Microsoft's DRM scheme.>>

Good point BAR. That is the spyare I was speaking of. Wasan't sure how to
put it.
Ron J