Restrict users to one program and no IE

I'm using XP Pro on my Point of Sale computer and would like to be able to
deny access to programs, files and IE for my employees. How would I do
this....set up user account and then asign acces?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Group Policy

"The Bossman" <The Bossman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP Pro on my Point of Sale computer and would like to be able to
> deny access to programs, files and IE for my employees. How would I do
> this....set up user account and then asign acces?

I need more help than that, please. I'm not a skilled administrator.

"Jerry" wrote:

> Group Policy
>
> "The Bossman" <The Bossman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using XP Pro on my Point of Sale computer and would like to be able to
> > deny access to programs, files and IE for my employees. How would I do
> > this....set up user account and then asign acces?

I really suggest you hire someone to do it for you. It's not something you
learn in a few minutes and you can easily screw up your point of sale
computer.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"The Bossman" <The Bossman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using XP Pro on my Point of Sale computer and would like to be able to
> deny access to programs, files and IE for my employees. How would I do
> this....set up user account and then asign acces?

Gordon

The Bossman wrote:
|| I need more help than that, please. I'm not a skilled administrator.
|| "Jerry" wrote:
||| Group Policy
||| "The Bossman" <The Bossman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
||| message news:27DD9634-59A6-43E0-B9FC-F31512449517@microsoft.com...

Start-Run-gpedit.msc

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Thank you for responding.
I know how to get to the gpedit...but how do I use it. How do I keep all
aplication for the administrator nut limit it for other users?

"Gordon" wrote:

> The Bossman wrote:
> || I need more help than that, please. I'm not a skilled administrator.
>
> Start-Run-gpedit.msc
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

The Bossman wrote:
|| Thank you for responding.
|| I know how to get to the gpedit...but how do I use it. How do I keep
|| all aplication for the administrator nut limit it for other users?
||| Start-Run-gpedit.msc
||| --
||| Interim Systems and Management Accounting
||| Gordon Burgess-Parker
||| Director
||| www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

The easiest (but laborious) way is to use security settings on the Security
tab and deny access to users to the program files. I think if you use Group
Policies you can easily lock EVERYONE (including Administrators) out.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Malke

Gordon wrote:

> The Bossman wrote:
> || Thank you for responding.
> || I know how to get to the gpedit...but how do I use it. How do I
> || keep all aplication for the administrator nut limit it for other
> || users?

I found this MS article which might be helpful:

How to apply local policies to all users except administrators in a
workgroup setting in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293655

Even though it says "Windows 2000", it may be applicable to XP also. A
good place to ask questions about Group Policy is in this newsgroup:

microsoft.public.windows.group_policy

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Malke

Richard Urban wrote:

> I really suggest you hire someone to do it for you. It's not something
> you learn in a few minutes and you can easily screw up your point of
> sale computer.

And that's the best answer of all, Richard.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com