Is it Possible?

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

This seems to be a very popular question is the forum so I will cover the information briefly. I have 2 computers networked using a Linksys router. Computer A is the primary and also serves as a host for a shared HP printer, connected off this computer via a parallel cable. In doing some experimenting over the last few days I enabled Internet Connection Firewall (ICF). After doing so computer B can no longer use this printer. It's obvious that the firewall is doing it's job and acting as designed, since printing again works if ICF is turned off. ICF allows you to select or add an "allowed service". However, I noticed printing is not one of the options. In addition if you elect to add a service you need to know the internal & external port for this service, which I don't know of have available.

Is it possible to allow computer B the abilty to print to this shared printer with ICF enabled? Obviously, I would prefer to do this without shutting ICF down every time computer B needs to print. The primary computer (A) is running XP SP1 and computer B is running Win98. Am I missing something or is this not possible with XP SP1?

Thanks for any information.

papa

Have you considered connecting your printer to a print server rather than to
your primary computer? Some routers, the D-Link DI-714P+ is one, include a
print server.

"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This seems to be a very popular question is the forum so I will cover the
information briefly. I have 2 computers networked using a Linksys router.
Computer A is the primary and also serves as a host for a shared HP printer,
connected off this computer via a parallel cable. In doing some
experimenting over the last few days I enabled Internet Connection Firewall
(ICF). After doing so computer B can no longer use this printer. It's
obvious that the firewall is doing it's job and acting as designed, since
printing again works if ICF is turned off. ICF allows you to select or add
an "allowed service". However, I noticed printing is not one of the
options. In addition if you elect to add a service you need to know the
internal & external port for this service, which I don't know of have
available.

> Is it possible to allow computer B the abilty to print to this shared
printer with ICF enabled? Obviously, I would prefer to do this without
shutting ICF down every time computer B needs to print. The primary
computer (A) is running XP SP1 and computer B is running Win98. Am I
missing something or is this not possible with XP SP1?

> Thanks for any information.

os

Distinguished
May 5, 2004

This is one a feature of ICF I do not like! Unlike other firewalls the first
time a port is used you are asked if you want to accept it, nevertheless if
all you have is ICF you will have to open the following ports:

TCP 139, 445; UDP 137, 138, 445

You should then be able to print, however, if your printer still has trouble
(from the client machine), especially with advanced features you will have
to contact HP for a full list of ports.

As far as the advice from Papa I hope he doesn't buy more hardware when he
gets these problems, unless he works for D-Link!

For more ICF port issues visit my source for this post:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp

Oliver

"Anthony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This seems to be a very popular question is the forum so I will cover the
information briefly. I have 2 computers networked using a Linksys router.
Computer A is the primary and also serves as a host for a shared HP printer,
connected off this computer via a parallel cable. In doing some
experimenting over the last few days I enabled Internet Connection Firewall
(ICF). After doing so computer B can no longer use this printer. It's
obvious that the firewall is doing it's job and acting as designed, since
printing again works if ICF is turned off. ICF allows you to select or add
an "allowed service". However, I noticed printing is not one of the
options. In addition if you elect to add a service you need to know the
internal & external port for this service, which I don't know of have
available.

> Is it possible to allow computer B the abilty to print to this shared
printer with ICF enabled? Obviously, I would prefer to do this without
shutting ICF down every time computer B needs to print. The primary
computer (A) is running XP SP1 and computer B is running Win98. Am I
missing something or is this not possible with XP SP1?

> Thanks for any information.

papa

Why not? I've been using D-link, Netgear, Linksys, SMC and similar
equipment, for years. No problems yet - and no security issues. Right now I
am running 3 desktops, 3 printers, and 1 laptop all on the same LAN. Some
are wireless. Some use CAT5.

And why would I buy any more equipment? My wife would kill me if I built one
more computer!

> As far as the advice from Papa I hope he doesn't buy more hardware when he
> gets these problems, unless he works for D-Link!

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

OS...

Thanks for the suggestions. When you say opening the ports (which you provided) I will assume you mean ADDING a service in ICF. No, problem that can be done I even see where you select TCP/UDP. My only question is about the port #s you provided.
(TCP 139, 445; UDP 137, 138, 445)

I know ICF allows you to add ports but it asks for an internal and external port for this service. How would or should the port #s you provided be entered in ICF? I also wonder should each port you list be entered as a seperate service in ICF or are these to be combine by portocol?