radeon 9800xt 128mb or radeon 9800 pro 256 mb

I got a 64 mb video card that my computer came with and I decided that
the best cards in the price range Im willing to pay right now are the
radeon 9800xt 128 mb and the radeon 9800 pro 256mb. they are both in
the price range Im willing to pay so price isnt really a deciding
factor. What I want to know is which card should I go for
12 answers Last reply
More about radeon 9800xt 128mb radeon 9800

    9800 XT.

    "gangrel" <gangrelg@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >I got a 64 mb video card that my computer came with and I decided that
    > the best cards in the price range Im willing to pay right now are the
    > radeon 9800xt 128 mb and the radeon 9800 pro 256mb. they are both in
    > the price range Im willing to pay so price isnt really a deciding
    > factor. What I want to know is which card should I go for

    The overwhelming reason to get the 9800 is that it uses the 256 mbit memory
    interface, while the the 9600XT uses the much less capable 128 mbit memory
    interface. Bottom line, the 9800 is much faster in games.

    --
    DaveW

    "gangrel" <gangrelg@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >I got a 64 mb video card that my computer came with and I decided that
    > the best cards in the price range Im willing to pay right now are the
    > radeon 9800xt 128 mb and the radeon 9800 pro 256mb. they are both in
    > the price range Im willing to pay so price isnt really a deciding
    > factor. What I want to know is which card should I go for

    "gangrel" <gangrelg@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >I got a 64 mb video card that my computer came with and I decided that
    > the best cards in the price range Im willing to pay right now are the
    > radeon 9800xt 128 mb and the radeon 9800 pro 256mb. they are both in
    > the price range Im willing to pay so price isnt really a deciding
    > factor. What I want to know is which card should I go for

    Are you asking about a 9600XT vs. the 9800 Pro or the 9800XT vs. 9800 Pro?
    There's no such thing as a factory 128Mb 9800XT. The 9800Pro will walk all
    over any 9600XT....it has double the pipelines and the memory is 256bit vs.
    128bit on the 9600XT.

    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought official 9800 XT's are only 256mb?

    Dan

    "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
    > Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought official 9800 XT's are only 256mb?

    You're correct, there are no official 128Mb 9800XT's, just modded 128Mb 9800
    Pro's.

    Right you are !

    "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote in message

    > "Dan" <d@d.com> wrote in message
    >> Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought official 9800 XT's are only 256mb?
    >
    > You're correct, there are no official 128Mb 9800XT's, just modded 128Mb
    > 9800 Pro's.

    to mention something, the 9800 pro with 256mb ram is only 128bit...., while
    the 9800 pro with 128mb ram is 256bit, and the 256mb is 100 dollars more...
    take ur choice

    "Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
    > to mention something, the 9800 pro with 256mb ram is only 128bit....,
    > while the 9800 pro with 128mb ram is 256bit, and the 256mb is 100 dollars
    > more... take ur choice

    This is wrong. There are no current 9800 Pro 256Mb or 128Mb cards marketed
    that are 128bit. You are mistaking the 9800 Atlantis for the 9800 Atlantis
    Pro. All current 9800 Pro's of any type are full 256 bit. There are 9800
    Atlantis cards that are 128bit, but these are not 9800 Pros. Their clock and
    mem rates are lower too. Months back, Sapphire initially released a 128bit
    version in a 9800 Pro box with a 128bit sticker on it, but this was yanked
    off the market really fast and repackaged as the 9800 Atlantis.

    This is the link to Sapphire's site that explains the relabelling

    http://www.sapphiretech.com/press/128-bit-9800.pdf

    "Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
    > to mention something, the 9800 pro with 256mb ram is only 128bit....,
    while
    > the 9800 pro with 128mb ram is 256bit, and the 256mb is 100 dollars
    more...
    > take ur choice

    Exactly! My friend just brought a 256mb card and intially thought it was
    excellent and better than his current one because it had more memory. It
    actually turned out to be slightly slower! He's just an example of what many
    not-so-pc-savvy people would think and the video card companies are taking
    advantage of this.

    Dan

    > Exactly! My friend just brought a 256mb card and intially thought it was
    > excellent and better than his current one because it had more memory. It
    > actually turned out to be slightly slower! He's just an example of what
    > many
    > not-so-pc-savvy people would think and the video card companies are taking
    > advantage of this.

    If his 256Mb 9800 Pro is slower, it's not due to slower memory or 128bit
    memory. The 256Mb 9800 Pros have identical core speeds and their memory up
    10Mhz from 340 to 350Mhz. Show me any link where an actual 9800 Pro 256Mb
    has slower memory than the 128Mb version or is 128bit. If you find one,
    it'll be a 9800 Atlantis 256Mb and NOT a 9800 Pro 256Mb.

    I was referring to another card. The 9600 in particular!

    Dan

    > > Exactly! My friend just brought a 256mb card and intially thought it was
    > > excellent and better than his current one because it had more memory. It
    > > actually turned out to be slightly slower! He's just an example of what
    > > many
    > > not-so-pc-savvy people would think and the video card companies are
    taking
    > > advantage of this.
    >
    > If his 256Mb 9800 Pro is slower, it's not due to slower memory or 128bit
    > memory. The 256Mb 9800 Pros have identical core speeds and their memory up
    > 10Mhz from 340 to 350Mhz. Show me any link where an actual 9800 Pro 256Mb
    > has slower memory than the 128Mb version or is 128bit. If you find one,
    > it'll be a 9800 Atlantis 256Mb and NOT a 9800 Pro 256Mb.

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics