The WEP Key confusion

papa

For those of you who, like myself, are new to wireless hookups and who may
be confused about the "WEP Key" concept and where to get it, maybe this post
will help. How to get the WEP key sure confused me for a while, and typical
user manuals do nothing much to clarify the issue.

The main thing I didn't realize at first is that the user creates his/her
WEP key. It doesn't come from somewhere else.

The steps to take in creating and installing a WEP key are:

1. Decide on what level of encryption is needed. There are 3 possible levels
of encryption: 64-bit, 128-bit, and 256-bit. However, right now some
wireless routers and/or wireless cards do not have 256 bit encryption
capability (check your documentation). The higher the encryption level, the
better the protection from intruders. For 64 bit encryption, you must create
a string of exactly 10 hexadecimal digits (hexadecimal digits are 0 thru 9
and A thru F). For 128 bit encryption, you must create a string of exactly
26 hexadecimal digits. For 256 bit encryption, you must create a string of
exactly 58 hexadecimal digits.

For example, you might create a 64-bit encryption string such as 12345ABCDE.
In this example, this is your 10 digit WEP key for 64-bit encryption, but it
could be any arrangement at all of any 10 hexadecimal digits. Note that ONLY
the hexadecimal digits are allowed (no asterisk, no comma, no decimal point,
etc.).

2. Take a piece of paper and invent/write down the desired string of digits,
and make sure the string is exactly the proper length for the encryption
level desired. Also be sure to make up a string that is not so easily
cracked by intruders. Save this string for future reference.

3. Run your router software and indicate the WEP key encryption level (64
bit, 128 bit, or 256 bit) in the appropriate line. Then, at the place
indicated, enter the WEP hexadecimal string that you previously created.

4. Run the wireless card software and enter the same encryption level and
the same WEP string as in step 3 above.

That's all there is to it. Hope this helps others who may be as confused as
I was.

You can use this WEP key generator to create the proper keys quite easily...

http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)