Closed

Cannot Password Protect Folders???

How do I password protect folders I want to be viewed on the intrernal
network (LAN) as I could in Windows 98??? There is no password option on the
properties tab. I do have administrator privilages. XP Home Edition with
SP2.

--
Thank You,
FLD

    FLD wrote:
    > How do I password protect folders I want to be viewed on the intrernal
    > network (LAN) as I could in Windows 98??? There is no password option on the
    > properties tab. I do have administrator privilages. XP Home Edition with
    > SP2.

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
    For a more secure method, see the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "FLD" wrote:

    | How do I password protect folders I want to be viewed on the intrernal
    | network (LAN) as I could in Windows 98??? There is no password option on the
    | properties tab. I do have administrator privilages. XP Home Edition with
    | SP2.
    |
    | --
    | Thank You,
    | FLD