Ipaq 2210 dsl connection via Bluetooth

April 25, 2004 8:44:00 PM

Hi,
I hope someone will be able to help as I'm about to loose my sanity trying
to get activesync etc to work with my iPaq 2210 and the Belkin bluetooth usb
adapter. Can anyone tell if there are any clear concise instructions for
setting up my iPaq to use my desktop computers dsl internet connection. I
can get the iPac to see the computer but cannot get it to pair or connect.

I am using Windows xp Pro
Belkin USB Adapter with version 1.4.2.10 of the software
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 11:41:06 AM

Pixelart, have a look in our Bluetooth Guides (link below). There are
step-by-step instructions with screenshots. Most are Windows 2000 screens,
but the Windows XP will be the same functionality with slightly different
colours only ;) .

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"pixelart" <pixelart@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I hope someone will be able to help as I'm about to loose my sanity trying
> to get activesync etc to work with my iPaq 2210 and the Belkin bluetooth
usb
> adapter. Can anyone tell if there are any clear concise instructions for
> setting up my iPaq to use my desktop computers dsl internet connection. I
> can get the iPac to see the computer but cannot get it to pair or connect.
>
> I am using Windows xp Pro
> Belkin USB Adapter with version 1.4.2.10 of the software

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 5:46:09 PM

pixelart wrote:
> Hi,
> I hope someone will be able to help as I'm about to loose my sanity trying
> to get activesync etc to work with my iPaq 2210 and the Belkin bluetooth usb
> adapter. Can anyone tell if there are any clear concise instructions for
> setting up my iPaq to use my desktop computers dsl internet connection. I
> can get the iPac to see the computer but cannot get it to pair or connect.
>
> I am using Windows xp Pro
> Belkin USB Adapter with version 1.4.2.10 of the software

I had similar problems. Followed many online guides with no success.
Finally uninstalled and re-installed the bluetooth manager and driver on
the PC and it immediately worked.
April 28, 2004 10:35:53 PM

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:44:00 +0100, "pixelart" <pixelart@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Hi,
>I hope someone will be able to help as I'm about to loose my sanity trying
>to get activesync etc to work with my iPaq 2210 and the Belkin bluetooth usb
>adapter. Can anyone tell if there are any clear concise instructions for
>setting up my iPaq to use my desktop computers dsl internet connection. I
>can get the iPac to see the computer but cannot get it to pair or connect.
>
>I am using Windows xp Pro
>Belkin USB Adapter with version 1.4.2.10 of the software

I couldn't get the geekzone setup to work but this was a success on my
2210.

1. Load the Bluetooth software
2. Go to Control panel, Bluetooth configuration, Local Services and
identify the COM port for the Bluetooth Serial Port.
3. If you haven not already done so load latest ActiveSync.
4. At this stage you should be able to synch your HP 2210 using USB
(good time to upgrade ROM)
5. Open ActiveSync, File, Connection Settings, Allow serial cable/IR
and set it to the same COM Port as 2.
6.Remove PPC from cradle/USB port (Never connect serial and USB at
same time, it will crash ActiveSync).
7. Fire up bluetooth on Desktop and PPC the pair them.
8. On PPC under Bluetooth Manager, New Connect, ActiveSync via
Bluetooth. Follow the prompts which go over Steps 2 and 5, then select
your Desktop. You should now be able to sync your HP 2210 using
Bluetooth.
9. If that works all you need to do to use your internet connect is
(on the Desktop ActiveSync) Tools, Options, Rules, Pass Through and
select "The Internet".

Shout if this works.

April 29, 2004 1:28:07 AM

Thanks Brains and all who have offered advice,
That seems to have done the trick Brains though for some reason Activesync
via bluetooth occasionally disconnects and I have to re-establish a
connection again. Any idea why?

Richard

"Brains" <brains_t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:44:00 +0100, "pixelart" <pixelart@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I hope someone will be able to help as I'm about to loose my sanity
trying
> >to get activesync etc to work with my iPaq 2210 and the Belkin bluetooth
usb
> >adapter. Can anyone tell if there are any clear concise instructions for
> >setting up my iPaq to use my desktop computers dsl internet connection. I
> >can get the iPac to see the computer but cannot get it to pair or
connect.

> >I am using Windows xp Pro
> >Belkin USB Adapter with version 1.4.2.10 of the software
> >

> I couldn't get the geekzone setup to work but this was a success on my
> 2210.
>
> 1. Load the Bluetooth software
> 2. Go to Control panel, Bluetooth configuration, Local Services and
> identify the COM port for the Bluetooth Serial Port.
> 3. If you haven not already done so load latest ActiveSync.
> 4. At this stage you should be able to synch your HP 2210 using USB
> (good time to upgrade ROM)
> 5. Open ActiveSync, File, Connection Settings, Allow serial cable/IR
> and set it to the same COM Port as 2.
> 6.Remove PPC from cradle/USB port (Never connect serial and USB at
> same time, it will crash ActiveSync).
> 7. Fire up bluetooth on Desktop and PPC the pair them.
> 8. On PPC under Bluetooth Manager, New Connect, ActiveSync via
> Bluetooth. Follow the prompts which go over Steps 2 and 5, then select
> your Desktop. You should now be able to sync your HP 2210 using
> Bluetooth.
> 9. If that works all you need to do to use your internet connect is
> (on the Desktop ActiveSync) Tools, Options, Rules, Pass Through and
> select "The Internet".
>
> Shout if this works.

April 29, 2004 9:41:05 PM

Is this a USB adapter? Check the Power control for this USB device, on your
Device Manager. There's a checkbox to allow this to be powered down to save
energy.

Mind you, the ActiveSync solution is simple, but bandwidth is not as good as
the LAP/PAN access because of the ActiveSync itself using part of it to keep
things in sync.

> Thanks Brains and all who have offered advice,
> That seems to have done the trick Brains though for some reason Activesync
> via bluetooth occasionally disconnects and I have to re-establish a
> connection again. Any idea why?
>
> Richard
>
> "Brains" <brains_t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:44:00 +0100, "pixelart" <pixelart@spamcop.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >I hope someone will be able to help as I'm about to loose my sanity
> trying
> > >to get activesync etc to work with my iPaq 2210 and the Belkin
bluetooth
> usb
> > >adapter. Can anyone tell if there are any clear concise instructions
for
> > >setting up my iPaq to use my desktop computers dsl internet connection.
> > >can get the iPac to see the computer but cannot get it to pair or
> connect.
> > >
> > >I am using Windows xp Pro
> > >Belkin USB Adapter with version 1.4.2.10 of the software
> > >

> > I couldn't get the geekzone setup to work but this was a success on my
> > 2210.
> >
> > 1. Load the Bluetooth software
> > 2. Go to Control panel, Bluetooth configuration, Local Services and
> > identify the COM port for the Bluetooth Serial Port.
> > 3. If you haven not already done so load latest ActiveSync.
> > 4. At this stage you should be able to synch your HP 2210 using USB
> > (good time to upgrade ROM)
> > 5. Open ActiveSync, File, Connection Settings, Allow serial cable/IR
> > and set it to the same COM Port as 2.
> > 6.Remove PPC from cradle/USB port (Never connect serial and USB at
> > same time, it will crash ActiveSync).
> > 7. Fire up bluetooth on Desktop and PPC the pair them.
> > 8. On PPC under Bluetooth Manager, New Connect, ActiveSync via
> > Bluetooth. Follow the prompts which go over Steps 2 and 5, then select
> > your Desktop. You should now be able to sync your HP 2210 using
> > Bluetooth.
> > 9. If that works all you need to do to use your internet connect is
> > (on the Desktop ActiveSync) Tools, Options, Rules, Pass Through and
> > select "The Internet".
> >
> > Shout if this works.

April 29, 2004 9:41:06 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:41:05 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
<dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>Mauricio

I have a DSL modem and Ethernet card (unplugged) attached to my
desktop.

I followed the instructions to the "t" to no avail, has anyone been
successful with this setup?
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 2:38:11 AM

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:41:05 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
> <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Mauricio
>
> I have a DSL modem and Ethernet card (unplugged) attached to my
> desktop.
>
> I followed the instructions to the "t" to no avail, has anyone been
> successful with this setup?

Yes. I use LAP all the time, with my h3970 and h4150. On my laptop and my
desktop. The problem is that this configuration is really sensitive to
conflicts and firewalls. It's not a Bluetooth problem, but most of the time
it's a platform issue.

First you have a DSL modem. Sometimes these use an address 192.168.0.1. This
address *IS* required by ICS. You can't have this address used anywhere else
in your network - and this includes the unplugged ethernet card! So first
thing to do is check that no other device uses this addres. Also, if there's
another DHCP server on this network, make sure the addresses are not in the
192.168.0.x range.

Then firewall. Zone Alarm and Norton are a big problem. They don't behave
well with local areas networks. Try setting Zone Alarm to medium, or use
Norton's Wizard to configure a local area network.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):